Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pinebluff , North Carolina
1970 27' Overlander

Hello,

I resently purchased a 70 27' Overlander

I will have many questions

1. Rust Damage / Any thoughts on area under door / step & back bumper

I thought I would just start w/ one

I am from NC & am looking forward to bringing this rig up to speed - pretty original shape but needs some TLC. Canapy, New Gas Tanks

Fridge, AC, Plumping being checked out at local RV dealer - Will take a couple weeks.

I will welcome any insight from any member

Goal - Take wife & twin 3 year old sons to the mountains / beach in style

Glad to have a site like this

Thanks,

Jay Basinger
jbasinger@kingsdown.com
jaybay6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey jaybay..congrats on your new toy...welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of Aristreaming! You're in for a great ride...

Lots of information, resources and knowledgeable, friendly folks here to help you out along the way... Just poke around the forum and you'll find the info you need...if you can't find it, just ask!

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Thorough Inspection is in order

Jay,

Not to recreate the wheel, here are a few replies I've saved for these times. (Disregard nonapplicable data)

Buying Advice (too late, but still informative)

Repair Advice

Overlander Bath Floor Repair Thread

You need remove some skin (aluminimum, not your own, although you may lose some flesh as well) to see what's going on underneath.

The aluminum lasts forever but the steel frame is prone to rust and the plywood floor is prone to rot. Suggest you do a search on rear end separation.

Most newbies are hoping to have a usable unit for $5K-$6K. I've found that to be unrealistic in my experience. Bottom line, you need to make a thorough inspection to determine the source of water causing the rust, which is either inside plumbing, or outside leaks. You need to determine the source as well as inspect other components (rear floor/rear channel joint) to be sure you're good to tow. The black water tank supports in the rear have a tendency to rust out as well. (Axles are a whole 'nother subject!)

I've had a little bit of experience in working on these things ('72 Overlander, '73 Sovereign) so I may seem a bit jaded. (I took lots of pictures and posted them in the photos section)

Good luck!

PizzaChop photos
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote