Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
1968 Trade Winds 24 with Many little repairs

Hello Forum,

I have already lost my mind looking at the posts! Thank you for sharing all of this information! My husband and I just bought 1968 Trade Winds 24 and we are in love with it. We have had the gauchos redone by choosing some remnants at a local upholstery shop. My husband has been replacing gas lines and electrical. The interior floor is covered in linoleum tile, but the cabinets and appliances appear to be in great shape. I cannot wait to take it out to Leo Carrillo, we have 8-year-old twins as well and this should be perfect for our family. Anyway I have a few questions to start... there will be many, many more...

1.) The bathroom, what is that whole behind toilet supposed to look like? I would like to buy or order replacement but I don't even know what it is supposed to be?

2.) Awning, pretty sure the springs are in okay shape but... it is a 1968 and we are thinking of changing system out to Zipdee as Carefree dos not make curved awnings anymore. any suggestions? I know we can order Fabric from Carefree but it sounds like the chance of springs surviving new fabric installation is doubtful.

3.) We would love to get the trailer buffed out, we have watched some vides and read some information and it looks like a huge job, has anyone had it done in LA? Short of 200 hours has anyone ever applied stripper and did it improve the appearance without the 200 hours of polish?

4.) Rock Quard…. We need one and they seem to be impossible to fine!

I appreciate everything you offer!

Thank you and I hope we will run into many of you soon!

Susie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	120271   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000044.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	120272  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040234.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	120273  
TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
1975 31' Excella 500
Bladensburg , Ohio
1. That looks like a storage area... so all that's missing is the door. Don't know where you'd find one of them.

2. Mine does not have an awning (mine's a 61 Ambassador), but I keep looking at the old-style awnings at VintageTrailerSupply.com

3. I don't think there is a shortcut way to get that mirrored shine. If you want the true gleam - you'll have to sweat a lot or pay for it. That said - your pics look like it looks okay right now - it may not take 200 hours for yours to shine. It might be a considerable less amount of time.

4. You can purchase the rock guard at VintageTrailerSupply.com - they are the only place I am aware of that has them.

Hope this helps...
61Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The hole behind the toilet was for a for access and it was covered by a fold down seat that rests on top of the toilet. If you look thru posts and pic of 68's you will see what they looked like. I have the same thing in my 68, I'm just going to build a cover for the hole and paint it white to match the surround that I painted.

If all the hardware is there for the awning you can just purchase new fabric. Mine had the same color stripped material as yours. Be a lot less expensive than a complete new awning.

Good luck with your polishing. That is my summer project this year.

Finally make sure you have all the leaks fixed. There will be leaks, get them all stopped before you do anything else. No need in working for hours and spending tons of money only to have water damage or rot. "they all leak"

VTS is the only place with the rock guard that I know of.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Congrats on your Tradewind! We got one too and LOVELOVELOVE her! We are going with a new awning this year or next year, ZIPDEE.

Have fun!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Here is a good contact in California for parts. They carry Zip Dee awnings and sepcialize in viintage airstreams.
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a suggestion:

Suzie,

I think it could be of help to you if you started your very own thread for the huge project you have just embarked on. Look up to the top, and over on the left side you will see a "tree" that leads to this post. If you click on the word Forums, it will open a list of all the forums that exist here.

Go down to the bottom, and there you will find a list of all the various models of Airstreams. If you click on Tradewinds, there is then a list of years of production, and if you then click on 1968, you can then start your own thread about YOUR trailer. Give it a bit of a generic name, like "Refurbishing our '68 Tradewind 24'" (I hope you can find a better title than that! ) then post all your questions and progress reports in there.

It's obvious for other members here that you are posting, since new posts show up in the first window they see: the "portal" page, where everyone lands when they log in. And once anyone replies to your thread, every time you or anyone else writes to it, it will show up in their "Subscribed Threads" listing.

The advantage for you is that everything is in one place, easy to refer back to, and the advantage for both you AND other readers is that the story of your trailer will be in one continuous thread, very much like a blog.

You will notice that many of the posters here do that, and find it an easy and efficient way to gather the journey that your AS will become.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
Great looking trailer. Best of luck with restoration.
AirEPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Here is a link to lot's of pics of 68 TWs, including a good pic of the bathroom seat.

1968Tradewind6
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
2005 25' International CCD
Corvallis , Oregon
Susie,

My wife and I are restoring a 68 Tradewind, though it would appear ours needed a LOT more work. It seems you bought smarter than we did. The little door behind the toilet was a rather unattractively upholstered thin wood panel. We are using a nice fabric with either scotch-guard or a plastic cover.

Yes, polishing is a lot of work, but if the clearcoat compromised (which they all are) you don't have much choice if you want it to look good.

Let us know if you want to exchange info.

Rob and Diane
68tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
I strongly recommend replacing the old plastic toilet with a porcelain one-try VTS and talk to steve. I am using the area behind the toilet as a storage area and using a hinged door to open and close. The old drop down seat is really no longer needed given the better toilet. Your wife will love you for it. Try Out of Doors Mart for Zip Dee parts-they have everything. I recently rebuilt my awning on my 1968 Globetrotter. Good luck.
Randy
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1968 24' Tradewind
Canoga Park , California
Rob and Diane,

Would love to share information! I should post pictures soon! We have had the awning replaced, a new heater installed and purchased a new rock guard! I have yet to dive into the toilet or the polish. We paid out the nose for some work that I am not happy about the workmanship. Before I share details on the world wide web we will try to resolve... more to follow! My email address is susie.rivera@gmail.com.

Susie
TeamD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, awning, polishing, rockguard, toilet shelf