Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Carlsbad , California
1968 Airstream Overlander International in Carlsbad, CA

Greetings from San Diego!
This is my daughter and my first Airstream and though it was in good shape externally, we are embarking on an interior renovation. So far, so good, just a little rot under the sink and under a side window. The shower just came out this weekend and it looks clean and dry under there.
This forum is great but are there any people I could meet with in the southern California area as we embark on:
1) New bathroom
2) Paint and repair interior vinyl walls
3) General "hey, any idea about this? "questions that might need an experienced eye to guide my 19-year old daughter and me as we launch this "Aluminum Adventure".
Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	290540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	290541  

tchurchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Hi. My husband and I (well, ok, mostly him) just wrapped up (or will be wrapping up for the rest of our lives) a frame-on renovation of a 1964 Overlander. We're in Rancho Palos Verdes. Let us know if you want to come take a look.

Also: there is a Southern California Airstream group on Facebook. Not a lot of activity, but another resource for finding people in So Cal.

Crista
riowerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Since you have the interior out, I would go ahead and remove the walls and seal all the seams and rivets on the inside. I did not do it on my 68 and wish I had.
I used epoxy paint and repainted my fiberglass shower and the plastic lavatory sink. After 7 years it still looks great.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
tchurchill,

Welcome to the forums and to Airstreaming. We hope you and your daughter enjoy the restoration/project phase of your aluminum adventure as much as we're sure you'll enjoy the traveling and exploring phase.

We recently "finished" our second Airstream and it is also a 1968 Overlander International (different original layout than yours - although, it looks like you've got a lot of flexibility available). We kept the bathroom and shower because it was in very good condition. On our '64 Safari, we had the original bathroom recoated professionally, it's still holding up 10 years later. We painted the vinyl walls in the '68. We found a paint called "Cabinet Enamel" at Lowes, which eliminated the stickiness bleed-through you get from latex paints. It seems to be holding up, but it's early.

Sorry we're not in southern CA, but I've attached the link to our rebuild thread, if you're interested; https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html . If you need any dimensions or specific photos of anything, just send us a PM (private message) with your email and we'll send them to you.

Good luck and have fun,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
welcome to our Forum. I suggest you peruse the trailer forum area under Overlander to start, as you pick up a lot of tips there. Subscribe to a thread of interest and it will be under your Quick Links for future reference until you delete it. Good luck with your project. Are you customizing or restoring?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream