Old 11-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
1967 Int'l Sovereign

Hi All!

My husband and I recently purchased a 1967 International Land Yacht Sovereign in what 'appears' to be excellent shape. I am in love! I believe we will call him 'Slim'. I know, I know 'he' is probably supposed to be a 'she' but since my husband says this is MY camper Slim will be a 'he'.

I would like to do a 'gentle' renovation to start, doing enough now to make it campworthy and doing a little more each year. All of the shell off, stripped to the frame images on here are making me a bit nervous. Can any of you recommend posts that approach a renovation in a less drastic 'pay as you go' way?

'Slim' has been kept under cover at a hunting camp for the last 20+ years. He is all original and most everything is still in working order. One of the PO's was even considerate enough to cut carpet to lay down on the original carpet to protect it. Although I am not planning to keep the original carpet, 45 year old carpet maintained by men in a hunting camp for the last 20 years is enough to scare any sane woman.

We plugged Slim in this weekend (with some trepidation, I really expected sparks or an explosion) and lo and behold there was light and a/c and power. Still not real sure on the refrigerator, it is the original, so will it run on electricity only or does it need gas? Hmm, needs more research. Gas appliances are unchecked because the PO detached the LP line so we will need to replace it.

The front water tank still holds water like a champ and the original water pump actually pumps, right out the really crappy copper splice about midway under one of the benches and onto the floor. Shop vac to the rescue.

After reading many posts on here I spent part of last weekend on hands and knees poking at Slim with a screw driver. Poor Slim. Prior to pulling the carpet the only soft spot thus far is at the rear end under the sink vanity. Hopefully i will know more once i pull carpet and can look at the subfloor. Which brings me to another question - Can I check and patch the floor without tearing out the kitchenette, bunks and bath? Again I just want to get road worthy this year.

I've attached a couple photos for you.

Sorry for such a long first post but I would appreciate any advice and insight you might want to share.

Thanks so much!
Attached Images

m.nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My, My a real beauty! I have a 67 International also. Mine also has the blue interior. I have done a lot of work on mine the slow way. Check out my thread- 1967 Tradewind Travel Travails.
Fortune cookie say....."Prudence keeps life safe, but does not often make it happy."
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1967, sovereign