Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #1

1967 22' Safari
Christiansburg , Virginia
1967 22' Land Yacht

I am considering purchasing a 1967 Airstream 22' Land Yacht that will need to have the interior redone or possibly retrofitted as Food Land Yacht. The exterior and frame are in great condition. What would be a reasonable purchase price for a trailer of this age, please?
Uncle M00nie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums.

Value of the trailer depends largely upon the overall condition of it. Solid frame and straight shell are great, but has it been sitting in a field, neglected for the last 20 years, or has someone been maintaining it and using it regularly? The differnece in value could be dramatic. That field-find neglected trailer may only bring offers no greater than $5k, whereas something you could camp in today may get offers upward of $12k.

Does the interior need to be redone because it is old and dated, or because the wood is rotting, and the place is infested with mice an insects? If the latter, then the subfloor is likely shot as well. Any trailer that needs a shell-off floor replacement *should* be on the low end of the price spectrum, as the only thing of value you are really buying is the frame and shell anyway. Pictures of what you are considering, or a lik to an ad would be helpful.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: A 1967 Safari 22' is a desirable vintage Airstream. The mid sixties trailers were unique with their Corning curved glass windows. They made the basic trailer and then an "International" up scale with fancier cabinets and more amenities like a TV antenna.

It is my view if the body is good; no broken or missing windows or doors or vents and the frame is good; no rust holes buckling and the like and the interior skins are all accounted for, the trailer is worth in the 5k or more range. That is a typical price of a project trailer that needs everything.

A 67 Safari is a neat trailer. It is worth much more as a renovated Safari than a food trailer. If that is the goal, I'd recommend a 70s Airstream of a similar size.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #4

1967 22' Safari
Christiansburg , Virginia
1967 22' Land Yacht

Thank you dbj216and Belegedhel for your prompt replies. I appreciate your wisdom. I have been unsuccessful in uploading the pix I have. I continue to get an error message that the pix are too large? Any help w/that would also be most welcome because I know pictures help tell the story. I plan to pull the Safari out of the weeds so I can check the entire body. I couldn't find one missing/loose rivet or damaged exterior panel. The interior is a little rough w/some floor damage back in the bathroom but not a drop of water/moisture, rodent/bug/animal infestation could be found on the inside. Is it true that the entire under-carriage is enclosed? How does one determine the condition of the frame for corrosion and/or damage? I also plan to pull the wheels so that I can check bearings, brakes, and just general condition. I presume I'll need to purchase two new tires so I can move it to a level clearing for my inspection. Any help on tire specs would also be very helpful! Also, can you tell me what show stopper-type of issues would constitute a deal-breaker? The seller is asking $2000.00 for this trailer. I have tent and trailer camped all my life but I will admit that I am a professed neophyte when it comes to Airstreams! Thank you, in advance, for everybody's help.
Uncle M00nie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, first, I would say that $2000 for the trailer, if the body is as dent free as you describe, sounds like a very good price...but...

It is a very good price if you have in mind to completely rebuild the trailer. If what you have in mind is to buy something that is useable, to so some sprucing up and minor repairs and be camping in a few months, then this one may be way more of a project than you are reay for.

Look at the top of this page, and you will see some tabs. Click on the "Portal" tab, and then scroll down the page, keeping your eyes to the right hand side. You will find a link to "the trailer inspector's checklist", and also a utility to help you find volunteer trailer inspectors in your area. At the very least, take the checklist with you and go completely through the trailer. This should help you get an idea of what you are up against.

Just keep in mind that your major appliances are about $1000 a pop. Need a new refrigerator? Need to replace the Air conditioner? Trailer sitting on its original axles? Original furnace, ancient water heater--If the answer is yes to all of the above, you are looking at around $5k just to restore functionality, and you still have 50 year old water lines that have probably burst when they weren't winterized, 50 year old plastic parts that are likely to crack when you step into the bathtub, and rotten spots in your floor and frame.

Yes, the entire underside of these trailers is usually enclosed, so you won't get much of an idea of what condition the frame is in by looking underneath. The condition of the frame rails sticking out the back and attaching to the bumper may give a clue, as will the condition of the A-frame. Step up onto the rear bumper and bounce a little. The frame rails should not move independently of the body (at least not by more than a fraction of an inch), if it does, you likely have rear-end separation, caused by rotting wood.

If you have bugs and rodents obvious on the interior, then there is a good likelihood you have mouse nests in the insulation in the walls. Again, remedying this situation requires a lot of disassembly.

Yes, you will need new tires to get it very far. How far do you have to pull it to get it home? If not so far, I would make your next visit the evaluatory trip, and if you decide to buy it, commit to the deal, make a list of everything you need, and make a final return trip to take it home.

Just remember, this trailer is 50 yrs old, and it sounds like it hasn't had a lot of recent maintenance or use. If this was a 1967 automobile, you would probalby not be planning your first road trip, and these trailers are no different.

Show stoppers all depend on how much of a project you are looking for. I figure that most of these trailers of this age, that have been parked in a field for the last 20 years need a complete rebuild (otherwise known as a "shell-off"). If you had in mind to actually go camping in this trailer this summer, then this may not be the trailer for you, regardless of price, but you will only know by doing a thorough inspection.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I post pictures on Airstream Forums by resizing the photos to 600x800 size at about 200kb. Phone photos are more tricky as most phone photos are "portriate", not "landscape".

Anyway, a 4 meg photo is not going to upload. You need to resize and crop to about 200kb. Then give it a try.

It is my feeble estimate to renew this 67 Safari will cost about $15k and about 1500 man hours. It is not a small job. Making a food trailer out of it would cost more.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags