Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Belhaven , North Carolina
1966 Overlander Land Yacht owner- lost but not hopeless!

I live about an hour and a half from my children and grandchildren and when I go to visit them, it is always hard to evenly divide my time among them. So, I decided I needed to get a camper to park there so I would have my own house where the grandkids could come see and stay with me. I also have 2 large dogs that shed a lot. Anyhow, a friend of my son had parked this camper in my son's backyard and I had been asking about buying it for over a year. The friend finally decided to sell and now I'm the proud owner. I thought I could lurk on this site and learn enough to fix mine up, but have realized that most of the time I don't have a clue as to what people are talking about, ie skin, belly, etc. I have made a few decisions as to what I want to do with the camper- plenty of bed space for the grands to stay, minimal kitchen (I plan on eating at my kids houses) and all electric. So with that as a starting point, here I go. I do not have lots of money to spend on this camper, and I probably won't be pulling it around the country. I think its in pretty good shape. The stove vent fan leaks, its exterior plate is not completely flat to the camper, and so the floor has rot right by the door. It has been "renovated" at least once before- the floor tiles are not original, the sofa and bed (mine is a double bed design) are not original, but I think the cabinets, oven, fridge, stovetop, sink are original. I know the wiring is original- its cloth covered. I'm not new to building things, but I would label myself as an advanced beginner. I have started dismantling the interior. I don't understand how the outside structure of the camper is made, so I don't know how to attach cabinets, etc to the inside. I'm not sure what the inside walls are made of. I see rivets everywhere, but also a few screws. I know the windows are not original as they don't have a curve, and also the gasket material is in need of replacing. I am not going to use the heating system, the electric "side" of the fridge doesn't work (don't know about the gas) and when I remove them, don't know what to do about the holes they leave through to the outside. I pulled it from my son's to where I live without difficulty. Well, I guess that gives everyone an idea of my dream. I'm attaching some pics. Feel free to give advice, instruction and encouragement.....I'll need a lot of all of it! Looks like I'll have to post some pics later when I have a faster connection.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello there, Mimi, and to Airforums!

You have certainly taken on a good deal of work to get an Airstream of that age up and running, and it sounds like your budget mean that you will need to do a lot of it yourself.

May I start right in with a suggestion? I think before you plunge in too far, you might be well-advised to take a detailed "snapshot" of the deficiencies on your trailer in order to estimate both the time and money necessary to do the job. Janet, another of the Moderators, put together a checklist that can be printed out and used for just that purpose. You will find it here.

I am saying this because, even though a trailer has no engine, it has a zillion other things that can need service. I don't want to scare you off by saying this, but wouldn't it make sense to put together a budget before you tear it all apart? It's a lot easier to take apart than it can be to put back together.

Just an idea, I know most people want to know what they are getting into before they commit to it..

Another suggest could be to get one of the members who offer their services and knowledge to come out and take a look over it with you, and give you some pointers on what should be done first. Even though you say you won't be travelling far, it needs to be safe on the road, for everybody's sake.

What does your daughter / son and grand-children think of having you park with them? Hopefully, they have the space, or at least, there is a campground nearbye so you can connect for sewage, water, and electricity, right?

You could be in for tons of fun with them, if your plans are carefully thought through.

Best of luck, and reply on us for answers to all the questions you are certain to have over the next year or so, as you put it in shape.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
1989 35' Land Yacht
Oakdale , California
Anxious to see your pictures when you can post them! A lot of work I'm sure, but it is very rewarding.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would caution you about making decisions when you don't know a lot. Making the trailer all electric would be a mistake in my opinion. First it will hurt the resale value. Second it will make it much more difficult to camp in comfort. Third it will cost a lot more to replace the propane powered appliances- fridge, water heater, stove & furnace,

Slow down a bit and do some serious reading on the forum.

Dan
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Was pleased to receive some replies so quickly. I'm trying to upload a couple of pics. I did a little more destruction on the camper today. The plywood subfloor in front of the door is rotten. I wish I knew some history on this camper. Today I found another color floor tile. Are the inside walls built ON the subfloor or does the subfloor meet the wall. Oh, I think I finally understand the "skin" thing on the inside walls. I thought my walls had been redone with hardboard turned with the rough side out, but actually found a piece of wall I could see both sides of and I see aluminum on the backside of that rough stuff. My walls are really in good enough shape that I do not intend to do anything to them but paint them.... eventually. I think the rest of the subfloor is good. I do have to remove the vinyl tiles that are on the floor as some of them are already coming up and because of the new floorplan I want to do that uncovers different color tiles that is also loose. Well, for some reason, I can't upload any pictures. Will keep trying. A previous owner did redo the plumbing, and, (I think) installed a new toilet. I do know the hot water heater is new and electric. My son-in-law does electric, so when I get done what I'm capable of doing, he will rewire the camper. Oh, should I start posting on the Overlander 1966 area of this forum?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
You might also peruse vintageairstream.com. Lots of short articles there showing one way to make some common repairs. I put mine back together all electric. I did so in a way that it could be rather easily reversed to original. This works ok for us since here in the hot, sunny south, we don't camp without air conditioning. So we only go where there is electricity.

Have fun, take your time, find your local Harbor Freight for cheap tools and have at it. I suggest you start by getting the entire shell leak free.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Smile Photo posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimishouse View Post
Was pleased to receive some replies so quickly. I'm trying to upload a couple of pics.
Here's a link to a fabulous post by Janet that gives some super hints about posting photos, mimi:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...tml#post612569
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
an Overlander is a great model, big but not too big. Fairly lightweight also which helps when towing . After you put up pix more comments will come your way.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
? Pic?

I read the post about pictures, that was what I was doing. But I did go and reduce the size of the photo. It said it finally uploaded. If it did, I will try some more. I really think its my connection, and there's nothing I can do about that.

I don't know what the problem is. It says its uploading, gets 100%, goes to airforum but I don't see the pic on preview.

Tags
1966, 1966 overlander