Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Smile 1966 Caravel - OUR FIRST AIRSTREAM

OK, I have stepped off into the deep end and can't wait to begin. My wife and I have been campers (tent) in the past and I enjoy the outdoors (hunting). We decided that we needed a camper and have been looking for a while. The modern shoe box on wheels just does not do it for us so we went vintage airstream. I have alot to learn and will rebuild this one as close to original as possible but have to make it functional. Our first tow was this week from IN, where we bought her, to the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, where we live. She towed like a dream, but I have concerns about the 40+ year old axle (replace or not???). All advice will be welcome. My first approace will be to look into the safety aspect of the trailer (towing, brakes, electrical) and then the creature comforts will follow. This 1966 Caravel is 95% original and is in need of alot of TLC but is strong and ready to shine.

Mike and Tina
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums!
There are several threads here about axles, and whether they need to be replaced, and even how to do it.
I would seriously suspect a 40 year old axle would need to be replaced, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised. Good luck with your new aquisition, and don't forget to post pictures!
Old 12-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Welcome to the 66's!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Another happy Caravel owner! There are many of us here, so if you have any questions - ask away! We LOVE our Caravel!

Welcome to the forum!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Welcome to the Curved Corning Club!!!!!

I would recomment replacing the axle. 40 year old rubber is not rubber anymore. It is more akin to rock like things....

Merry Christmas!!!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Back to the AXEL

This axel is bent in the center from improper jacking. Although I will probably (that is WILL) replace it, I will leave her on for now while I do a general check-over of the entire trailer. Any good sources for axels, and how much am I looking at? I want a high quality one as this trailer has found her "home" for quite a while. I am very experienced under the hood and can easily take on this job with nuggets of knowledge from others who have done this before.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I highly recommend you do a search for previous threads on axels. This topic has been covered many times, and there are many great threads on the ins and outs of replacement. I think you'll find everything you need here.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel