Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Granada Hills , California
Cool 1966 airstream ambassador 28'

Hi! My husband and I are the proud owners of a 1966 Airstream Ambassador. It is in fairly good condition but has been stored for a very long time. We have had to figure out a lot of the systems on our own as we have not been able to locate a manual. We have questions that seem simple but do not know where to go for answers. Questions like, what do the propane hold downs look like, where was the original location for the battery(s) and other miscellaneous questions. We love it so far and can't wait to get on the road.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Exclamation Welcome Aboard!

I'm sure you are just overwelmed with the volumes of information listed here! So let me make it somewhat easier for you. Do a search using keywords like owners manual, operators manuals, secretarial services etc, by using the search function tab above. Ask any questions and we will do our best to answer them or direct you to where you can get the answers you need. Again, Welcome to the Forums! Happy Trails, Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcarleton
Hi! My husband and I are the proud owners of a 1966 Airstream Ambassador. It is in fairly good condition but has been stored for a very long time. We have had to figure out a lot of the systems on our own as we have not been able to locate a manual. We have questions that seem simple but do not know where to go for answers. Questions like, what do the propane hold downs look like, where was the original location for the battery(s) and other miscellaneous questions. We love it so far and can't wait to get on the road.
Try contacting the Airstream Store. Manuals are now available for many older trailers. Good luck with your new Ambassador.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
theSEEKER

1994 25' Excella
granite bay , California
Hi. My name is Barbara. My husband and I are expecting our first Airstream baby this Thursday and it, too, is a 1966 Ambassador. From what I hear it is really rough, but it's the only vitage one I can find which my family will fit into and which our truck can pull.
In anticipation I've been looking for a maunal as well. I just found one for $30 at a site called the Airstream Store. Here's the link.
We are pretty handy, so hopefully we can fill in the info gaps that you have and you can help us out as well. SO exciting. Is yours a double or twin model? We're expecting twins/
Here's the link Airstream :: Store

bzasso@yahoo.com
Barbara
Old 09-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
We had a 66' Ambassador when I was a kid. We took it on a Western Canada Caravan the summer of 1968. We slept 6 in that trailer for two and a half months. GREAT trailer...you will love it. Ambassdors are the perfect size in our opinion...not to big yet not to small. Our current is a 1978 Ambassador. Enjoy it!!
Tom #8848
Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by babsz
Hi. My name is Barbara. My husband and I are expecting our first Airstream baby this Thursday and it, too, is a 1966 Ambassador. From what I hear it is really rough, but it's the only vitage one I can find which my family will fit into and which our truck can pull.
In anticipation I've been looking for a maunal as well. I just found one for $30 at a site called the Airstream Store. Here's the link.
We are pretty handy, so hopefully we can fill in the info gaps that you have and you can help us out as well. SO exciting. Is yours a double or twin model? We're expecting twins/
This is awesome with all these Ambassador's! We just rescued a '61 Ambassador from the scrap heap! It's going to be a lot of work but it is a labor of love we don't mind.

Here's a link to our tale of cleaning out the Ambassador: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f471...eam-34706.html

Here's a link with pictures of our Ambassador: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f471...ers-34705.html

And, last but not least, here is a link to the part of this forum with information about other years that Ambassador's were made: Ambassador - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Community

I look forward to seeing photos of your trailer too!

And, I forgot to mention, we have twin bunk beds in our trailer so the trailer will comfortably sleep six.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Grimsby , Ontario
1966 Airstream

We also have a 66 Ambassador for over three years. Our reno is still going on and the major things left to replace are the furnace water heater and floor. We have kept the trailer as close to original as possible. Even to the point of completly rebuilding the original water pump. Alot of work and love has been put in this trailer and we have enjoyed it on a few trips. Over the last year not much has been done on the unit but I feel the itch comimg back. The airstream forum has saved me alot of grief with their great advice.
Post some pictures and I will do the same. Would love to see other "66 Ambassadors.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcarleton
Congratulations on the Ambassador. We have a 1962 Ambassador and love it. We have done quite a few things to bring it back to a useable condition, thankfully, it was in excellent condition and mainly needed new running gear, battery, and some plumbing repairs. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help you out.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags