Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

1964 24' Tradewind
Orlando , Florida
1964 Trade Wind

Very excited to be join the Airstream community. Just purchased a 1964 TradeWind trailer in less than pristine shape. But it contains all the original equipment and appliance (tho not in working order) and the shell only has a few BB holes. The belly pan is mostly missing, and I think the floor needs replacement, but the window frames are all intact and the operators function (will need to replace some glass). It will be labor of love, but I am so looking forward to taking my family camping in this. I plan on renovating it a bit at a time, starting with the structural elements. I am already so grateful for all work done by other owners and their effort to chronicle and share their work on the forums.

tstrasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Hey and welcome! Have a 1966. caravel and love it. Post some pictures because yours sounds like an awesome project!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1964 Trade Wind

Greetings tstrasters!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of 1964 Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrasters View Post
Very excited to be join the Airstream community. Just purchased a 1964 TradeWind trailer in less than pristine shape. But it contains all the original equipment and appliance (tho not in working order) and the shell only has a few BB holes. The belly pan is mostly missing, and I think the floor needs replacement, but the window frames are all intact and the operators function (will need to replace some glass). It will be labor of love, but I am so looking forward to taking my family camping in this. I plan on renovating it a bit at a time, starting with the structural elements. I am already so grateful for all work done by other owners and their effort to chronicle and share their work on the forums.
The 1964 Airstreams were essentially the end of a model cycle for Airstream. It was the last year for the door-within-a-door, jalousie windows beside the entry door, and the last year of the option of either single or tandem axles on the Tradewind. It was also something of a transition year as it was the first year for a standard Univolt (power converter), and I believe that it was also the first year that all Airstreams came with a demand rather than pressure water system.

I am rather partial to the 1964 Airstreams, but didn't really understand why until my Overlander found me in 1995. I had looked for an Airstream for well over six months when I decided to expand the scan of my search to an Airstream more than 15 years old, and the Overlander was the fourth older Airstream that I examined . . . walked in the door and put a deposit on the coach 15-minutes later. As it turned out the attraction to the coach was not only its features and floorplan . . . a few months later, I learned that the Overlander was the same Airstream that friends of my family had purchased new in 1964 and in which they invited me on my first camping trip in 1964 when I was five years old.

I am sure that you will find that the 1964 Airstream is a truely enjoyable coach to own!

Good luck with your Tradewind!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags