Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #1

1962 28' Ambassador
Gloucester , Massachusetts
1962 refurbed Ambassador

Hi Air Forum folks, and Happy Easter

My husband and I recently acquired a 1962 Ambassador and had some pretty extensive remodeling done to make it livable (had been in a barn for several years). We're heading out for our first real venture beyond weekend stays- leaving tomorrow! Excited to be hitting the road. We joined Harvest Hosts to increase our boondocking options.

Looking forward to learning more about this forum. Seems like a great place to learn...

Kaz

VTairheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on a great choice of trailer.

We're on the other side of the state and have refurbished a '59 Overlander. They're very close in design, just 2' shorter.

You'll find a ton of good stuff on the forum. I'd recommend learning the Advanced Search feature and also find the model specific forums. Finally, check out a podcast called theVap -- one of the hosts has an Ambassador just about the same age as yours.

I saw that you had a tire question on another thread. Consider the Michelin LTX MS/2 tires. I understand that Airstream uses them on new trailers and quite a few people on this forum have had great luck with them. Avoid Chinese ST tires, there are a lot of horror stories about failures. We learned our lesson with a sidewall failure on our last trailer.

Safe travels!

John

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
You picked a fast way to get into the vintage Airstream hobby. I think 62 was the first year of the "Dura Torque" axles. They use rubber rods instead of leaf springs and shackles. Anyway, your old Ambassador is quite a find.

You gotta post some pictures inside and out of your new Airstream. Check out the Knowledge Base, Airstream Trailers toward the bottom of the Forums page. Then click on Ambassador, and then your year. You might find all kinds of interesting information about the Ambassador built back then.

I have a 75 Overlander that I am working on. It doesn't look like a vintage trailer really as the body style is very similar to the newer trailers. Yours looks like a classic vintage trailer.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

1962 28' Ambassador
Gloucester , Massachusetts
We did confirm that we have Dura Torque axles, which it seems are much better than the leaf spring if you find yourself with a flat. Thanks for pointing that out!

Ours does look like a classic outside. We've had some work done inside, so she's got a pretty modern looking interior at this point. We'll get to posting pictures once we get off the road and back to steady wifi
VTairheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
62 Amabassador

Hello there,

I also have a 1962 Airstream Ambassador. I am interested to see your pictures and what you have done to refurbish it. My Airstream was purchased locally and retains most of the originality.

What have you done yourself and what do you plan to do?

My airstream needs a polish eventually but it is so big that its going to cost a ton or take some sweat equity.

Enjoy the roads,

Armand
62Stream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags