Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
1964 22' Safari
1964 17' Bambi II
1961 16' Bambi
East Longmeadow , Massachusetts
1961 Tradewind Custom

I have a 1961 Tradewind 24' single axle. I am planning on gutting it and fabricating a very high-end modernized interior (Veneering the walls, custom cabinets, bamboo hardwood floors, etc). Since it is a single axle do I have to worry about the weight limit of the new interior I put in? What is the weight limit? Should honeycomb panels be used for the cabinetry structure or is standard 3/4" fine. Also I have a 1964 Tradewind that I am debating on either restoring or gutting and doing a high-end custom interior. Is it ore desirable as a custom modernized trailer or as a restoration? Am I better off finding a double axle 21-25" from the 70's for a custom interior. Any input would be great.

dorchstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Hello, and welcome!

I am sure I will get loyal Tradewind owners to disagree but it goes without saying that the 24' single axle trailer when loaded for the weekend is over loaded most of the time! It is my opinion that the Safari at 22' was the max of a single axle! I am not trying to down play your new trailer just point out its limitations!!! So to answer your question, you will have to do everything you can to limit added weight to this already over weighted trailer! One of the disadvantages you have the excess tong weight, so in your redesign you must try to put most of the weight centered with the axle! Example is batteries, water storage, kitchen area, storage weight. The early 60's will have a greater return on your investment than most 70's due to the nature they are older and more desirable. Keep in mind that the same amount of work would be needed in both. I think you are on the right track! Think of ways to cut weight and design what you want, and you will be happy with the end result!

Good Luck... Todd Ingbretsen

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
WBCCI # 1962
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
I have a 59 Tradewind, single axle. Weightwise, it's my opinion that most people bring far too much crap with them when they travel in trailers. I personally do not need an electric deep-fryer or hot-dog machine to accompany me on camping trips. I don't even need a toaster if I've got a pan and a stove. I do like a good french press and a cooler full of drinks.

Yes, keep it lightweight, but if you're not keeping it vintage, then there are hundreds of options for lightweight construction material - like metal. Or plexiglas.

Seems to me the best way to design a trailer is to have everything that you build in serve two functions.

No idea on the values of restored vs. renovated. Mine's a labor of love so I turn a blind eye to anything else. Sounds fun, good luck.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Mr. Space Egg,we are of the same mind concerning clutter.Due to the cost of replacement or repair,items removed from my '63 Safari include:fridge,furnace,oven and galley sink.I enjoy the camping experience devoid of generators.In my simple mind a Coleman stove, ice chest and lamp will suffice.Also, the security of walls and a door that locks as I sleep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work 233.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	129230  
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I started with a similar concept and although my project is dual axle I still wanted to keep the weight down. I've used some aluminum honeycomb, some composite products, aluminum framed cabinets, cork floor etc to reduce weight but it's really a balance. The European Airstreams might prove a good source for ideas as they are much lighter overall and modern inside.
1960 Sovereign 33' Pacific Railroad Custom
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We have a tandem axle '66 Trade Wind. I have to be carefull of the weight that we place in it. Half the time we dry camp and invite our daughter and her family along. So that means lot's of additional camping gear, especially since ALL cooking and other outdoor gear like bikes, screen room, chairs, etc need to be packed also. As you can see we use a convertible to tow with. The back seat of the car 'used' to hold a lot but now that's where our dog rides. Our trailer has 40 gallon water capacity to which I travel then with very little water. BUT now some of the Forest Camps that we like, and maybe some State Parks, have been prohibiting RV water fill-ups. The times that we 2 are just traveling there is no weight concerns....if I can convivce MDW that we do NOT have to take 2 weeks of food stuffs along. We can buy what we need along the way. So even with tandem axles we need to be very carefull.

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote