Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
pittsburg , Kansas
1960 Trade-wind

We just bought a 1960 trade wind land yacht. It towed perfect from GA to KS. We have never owned a trailer before so in need of lots of advice. We had electric brakes installed. The trailer is pretty much orginal and never been painted inside. The outside has been polished but needs some more work. Not sure what kind of polish to use have a good buffer. The electric works. but the plumbing needs some work. Not sure where to start as not sure where everything is located. Need a manual or drawing on where things are. The AC works. I took out the kitchen stove and heater as plan to build a cabinet for a micro wave and toaster oven. Will not be using butane at all. The windows are all intact but the metal needs to be cleaned not sure what to use Steel wool?? The floor is in good shape need to remove the old orginal linoleum not sure how to do this easy without any damage to the floor. As you can see I need any advice anyone can give me as am just starting and learning.
Thanks Judy
Judy Barde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Cool COOL! Another 1960 TW!

Hi Judy, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Tradewind. They are awesome, nice size, nice weight, and you know how well it tows already. There is a wealth of information on this forum including cleaning or restoring the original Zolatone interior paint, dealing with old linoleum, windows, and polishing. Check out the search function, you can find the "Search the forums" link at the left side of your screen on the Portal, or the opening page. Or you can use the link at the top menu bar of any page. I've found answers to almost all of my questions that way. The first little while will be overwhelming as many of us can attest, but there are lots of good people here and the forum is a valuable information resource. Now . . . . when are we going to see some pictures?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Congrats on your Airstream!

The search tool can be your best friend! I would suggest that you begin with safety items first. Tires, brakes, hitch, lights, etc. Then I would look at the electrical, heater, and propane... then water and holding tanks. Work your way to the bathroom and how all works there. Finally you will get to the comfort zone of cushions, decorating, etc.

My husband has a comprehensive thread on the restoration of our 1963 Bambi and reading through it might give you ideas of what to look for. Sounds like yours might not need a frame off restoration... be aware, however, that the electrical in a 1960 is probably very sub standard and more than likely won't support the needs of a microwave.

Here is his thread if you want to look through it... he has quite a few pictures. http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html

I suggest you take lots and lots of digital pictures and it will help you know where everything is! 1960 did not have a owner's manual so other than searching the web and talking to others with a similar coach you might be on your own! Vintage Trailer Supply and Inland RV both can be very helpful!

Post pictures of your project as you go through it! We love to see what others are doing!

Good luck, and again, welcome!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags