Old 06-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
trailer_trasher

1960 33' Custom
El Mirage , California
Arrow 1960 33' custom, railroad bunkhouse ?

Hi Gang, New to the forums here,so first let me say Hello ! Now to the point..

I recently acquired a 1960 33' "custom" It was an exhaustive search trying to figure out what it is,as most sights do not acknowledge the existence of a 33 footer in that year. Finally I found a site that did.. It suggested that there may be as many as 8, But this suggests that at least 13 were made. (33s 0113).

At first I believed it was from Edwards Airforce base. Says ED-157 on the sides and I am near there,and it was even nearer, But again after an exhaustive search of 1000's of logo's I've come up with a match as best I can tell: Southern Pacific Lines. (railroad)

I initially bought it to scrap out as thats what I do. (I know,,, Don't worry,, I always investigate what they are first) She's a bit on the rough side,but givin what she is, she's well worth a restore..

I have someone on line for it,but If he does not come through, I will be offering it for sale since I'm in no position to fulfill its needs. In the meantime,I would love to acquire any Information on these that I can. Even photos of what the interior would have looked like, though mostly intact,missing correct light fixtures and misc. other stuff. Besides that, wanted to share,since it may help the next person identify.

I'm happy to post pics,if someone will tell me the best way to do that..

Thanks, Chris

Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Trailer_tras,

How about a few pictures? You definately have a unique unit.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer_tras View Post
Hi Gang, New to the forums here,so first let me say Hello ! Now to the point..

I recently acquired a 1960 33' "custom" It was an exhaustive search trying to figure out what it is,as most sights do not acknowledge the existence of a 33 footer in that year. Finally I found a site that did.. It suggested that there may be as many as 8, But this suggests that at least 13 were made. (33s 0113).

At first I believed it was from Edwards Airforce base. Says ED-157 on the sides and I am near there,and it was even nearer, But again after an exhaustive search of 1000's of logo's I've come up with a match as best I can tell: Southern Pacific Lines. (railroad)

I initially bought it to scrap out as thats what I do. (I know,,, Don't worry,, I always investigate what they are first) She's a bit on the rough side,but givin what she is, she's well worth a restore..

I have someone on line for it,but If he does not come through, I will be offering it for sale since I'm in no position to fulfill its needs. In the meantime,I would love to acquire any Information on these that I can. Even photos of what the interior would have looked like, though mostly intact,missing correct light fixtures and misc. other stuff. Besides that, wanted to share,since it may help the next person identify.

I'm happy to post pics,if someone will tell me the best way to do that..

Thanks, Chris

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow!! Neat find. There was a thread or at least some postings with exterior photos of one or more of these a while back. I'll see if I can find them. Its at least a start.

Stay tuned...

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Certifiable

. , .
Thumbs up Sierra Nevada site

In the 1960's Airstream built several custom trailers primarily for Western Pacific Railroads. They were used as crew cabins for railroad workers.
Custom Airstreams

Old 06-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
OK, here's what I found. In the Airstream Sightings thread on post #86 starts a brief discussion on Western Pacific and their ties to Airstream trailers. Here's the picture that was posted. Maybe, just maybe, yours is the same trailer as the one shown here.

Pictures can be posted by clicking on the Go Advanced button on the bottom of your post. Then click on Manage Attachment button. Files should not be large or they won't post.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WesternPacificAirstream.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	131378  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
trailer_trasher

1960 33' Custom
El Mirage , California
Hi Brad, Thanks for the help.. That one you pictured I believe is the 45 footer I came across in my search. I also believe it was off to a museum for resto.. Thanks again, Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
trailer_trasher

1960 33' Custom
El Mirage , California
Wow, There coming in fast,, Thanks Bill and Mistral.. Bill, I put some pics somewhere, But this site is as confusing as my search was : ) There in a folder titled 60's airstream trailers.

Mistral, I think I like that squarish one the (first pic) the best, Guess I'm kinda square myself..
Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Certifiable

. , .
I'm most definitely round...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
What a cool trailer! I'm guessing the layout was bathroom in rear, bunks to rear curbside, kitchen to rear streetside, cabinets in the mid curbside, and lounge in the front? It certainly would take some rebuilding... the lower streetside looks thrashed ... which is probably proof that it was a Santa Fe trailer... they loaded them onto carrier cars, which is probably how it got so banged up.

cool find! Wish I had the space and $$ to fix it..
Marc
Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
trailer_trasher

1960 33' Custom
El Mirage , California
Hi Marc, You got most of it exactly right, except that the closets are rear street side opposite the bunk and the kitchen is more forward. Above the wheels..

The street side itself is not to bad at all,except the skirting to the belly pans which is trashed,as are the pans themselves. It does have tie down hooks on the frame. Guessing to be tied down to a rail car..

Thanks,Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer_tras View Post
Wow, There coming in fast,, Thanks Bill and Mistral.. Bill, I put some pics somewhere, But this site is as confusing as my search was : ) There in a folder titled 60's airstream trailers.

Mistral, I think I like that squarish one the (first pic) the best, Guess I'm kinda square myself..
Welcome,

Sounds like a unique find.

Here's a thread with useful information about the site.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ics-44928.html

Feel free to ask questions of the group, or contact a staff member if needed.

Airstream Forums - Show Groups

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
trailer_trasher

1960 33' Custom
El Mirage , California
Thanks Kevin, That does indeed look helpful.. Chris

Tags
1960, 33', custom, railroad bunkhouse