Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Congrats on acquiring a new to you Early TradeWind. These are the perfect size for traveling and/or restoration work. Not too small, not too big - just right. I have been collecting data for an Early TradeWind Registry and would love to add your info. Cam you provide the serial number of unit? I see it had a booth in the front and has twin beds.
Thanks so much.

Brad
FF
Yes thanks!
When I collect it next week I will send all the details to ya.
Thanks for interest.
I am glad it is 24 ft as it will better to tow and maintain.
cheers.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Muskie,

Good to see work start on another '59. Very good year.

Here is a link to the major renovations. Hopefully it will help you with some very good starting points.

How's the floor?

John
There has been an added ply floor overtop of the old floor, but I can see it is damaged underneath by a dodgy window leak, so I plan on either fixing/ replacing whole floor, or just fixing isolated areas. But ideally the whole floor would be replaced, so I can wire it with microphone cables and re-do the wiring itself, plus add more insulation. It maybe a pandoras box, and I would need welding?
I need to find a place to work on it, and up here in the snow it proves tricky.
Cheers.
muskie

Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Snow for you and rain for me it is always something! It may save you some time and frustration pulling the shell and belly pan. I say this because they covered the damaged floor with plywood so the frame will have so issues that need to be addressed! Just my opinion. Keep the post comming and yes more pictures please.
Cliff
Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Buying an Airstream before the tow vehicle is more common than you might think. Good Airstreams are much more rare than good tow vehicles! We owned ours for almost 2 months before getting the pickup, because we were also refinancing the house and gearing up for graduation and a trip abroad. We wouldn't have had time to take the Argosy anywhere even if we'd had the truck!

Welcome to AIRForums and best of luck on your project.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Snow for you and rain for me it is always something! It may save you some time and frustration pulling the shell and belly pan. I say this because they covered the damaged floor with plywood so the frame will have so issues that need to be addressed! Just my opinion. Keep the post comming and yes more pictures please.
Cliff
Cliff
Being new to this, what does that mean exactly? Taking off the lower aluninium skin underneath to inspect the frame? is that a hassle? Perhaps take the rotting wood from underneath? The back part skin is already removed. I guess they took it off to take the tank off. Maybe add a new skin?
If so Interesting idea. They were moose hunters that could just have done the easy fix and put new ply down. When I get it in the air I will have a look. Presently in a snow storm.
Cheers.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Removing the belly pan will give you the opportunity to remove the fiberglass that is probably pretty stinky about now and to inspect the frame for rust damage! The floor mounts to the frame with elevator bolts and these are easier to remove from below plus you will need access to the frame ( belly pan off) to replace the bolts holding the floor down. Ask anytime always glad to help!
Later cliff
Old 11-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Muskie,

A while back someone created a thread with links to the major renovations. It's a good load of information and the pictures should be especially helpful.

I did my best to document our '59 here.

Hopefully a read through some of those links will answer more questions that you even thought you'd have.

You'll see more than one way to replace a floor, but the shell-off or "full monte" is really the best.

John
Old 11-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Quote:
Muskie,

A while back someone created a thread with links to the major renovations. It's a good load of information and the pictures should be especially helpful.

I did my best to document our '59 here.

Hopefully a read through some of those links will answer more questions that you even thought you'd have.

You'll see more than one way to replace a floor, but the shell-off or "full monte" is really the best.

John
Thanks again, will scour the threads for useful stuff.
I had a bite with a place to do the work on the ol' girl.
Fingers crossed.
Muskie
Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Quote:
Muskie,

Good to see work start on another '59. Very good year.

Here is a link to the major renovations. Hopefully it will help you with some very good starting points.

How's the floor?

John
Here is a bad pic of the 'new' floor that was put on top of the old floor. I think the moose hunters did a quick fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muskie floor.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	200834  
Old 11-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Here is a pic of the decal, bit faded but she is a 1959.
-m
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LandYachtPkaque.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	200896  
Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Muskie, from your name I take it that you like to fish which takes patients and a fair amount of dedication so why pay for somebody else to rig your line? You will have a blast doing it yourself and it does not require a degree in anything! I prefer to know everything about my ride (old habit) so I always do it myself which also means more tools for me! There is nothing you can't do to an airstream if you have a hundred 1/8 in drill bits a case of band aids and the forums! Ask for advise anytime and 15 to 20 pros will offer time tested methods of accomplish your task! That and saving the 70. To 150. Per hour labor charges make it worth the effort! Again this is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.
Cliff
Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
collingwood , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Muskie, from your name I take it that you like to fish which takes patients and a fair amount of dedication so why pay for somebody else to rig your line? You will have a blast doing it yourself and it does not require a degree in anything! I prefer to know everything about my ride (old habit) so I always do it myself which also means more tools for me! There is nothing you can't do to an airstream if you have a hundred 1/8 in drill bits a case of band aids and the forums! Ask for advise anytime and 15 to 20 pros will offer time tested methods of accomplish your task! That and saving the 70. To 150. Per hour labor charges make it worth the effort! Again this is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.
Cliff
I couldn't agree more. The only thing I will do is get the axle and wheels looked at by someone who knows that world. I have a new baby so time and safety is of the essence.... and I will be running a business out of this rig, so I feel more confident with a mechanic looking at the 'drive train' as it will be holding a lot of expensive recording gear and instruments. Then welding may or may not be needed?
Tools I have little of, so I will be crossing bridges along the way and sourcing them out. I guess a good cordless drill, a skilsaw, jigsaw and like you say; bandaids [I like Newskin].
Other ideas include; building a generator box that locks to the bow where the propane would normally go.
I am in no way trying to make this authentic to its original design. It is a vessel for creative use, and excited about the prospects customizing it.
The toilet/ shower area will be the control room [recording gear], the closet will remain a storage area, the bunk area will remain somewhat, but I will modify making more space by cutting out the middle of each bunk to add leg room, and therefor have a leaf of wood to resume a bed when needed [read; three large pieces of foam per side].

The front will be the main 'tracking' room, drums and space for amps etc. I have a small jazz drumkit.... and all the cords will be accessed by the ceiling, therefor reducing cables on the ground. This system worked in my last trailer that I made into a studio. Vocals will be done in that room as well, with padded acoustic foam in a corner. I will source out a very thick velvet curtain and double it for sound isolation to where the old folding door would have been [open for ideas]. And also put port-hole windows in the dividers which will also be doubled and insulated. That way the drummer can see the guitar player etc.. I will pre-wire in headphone amps, and DI boxes [for those that understand that],.... paint the front a deep blue gloss with rope lights along the floor, which will be sanded plywood, painted black with a oriental rug. High gloss red trim, and to top it off I am installing a tannoy speaker to the roof [all weather]. That way it can broadcast to the public, so musicians can hear their mixes from a small crappy speaker [very useful in mixdown stage].

That is my goal for this unit. Also it is aimed to record in off-grid situations, so the whisper generator [hyundai or yamaha] will power a small 700w oil electric heater [no fan- and I am confident that will heat it], plus run all the gear and lights.
The insulation in the floor is key, and will address that for sure.

So in conclusion, I just need the drive train to be sound, giving me the confidence to soldier on with the custom work. I will indeed be asking people here about diagnostic things in reference to that, and beyond.

When its all sorted on the inside...then the shine!
Thanks for reading and please feel free to shed some ideas.
Muskie
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Sounds like a good plan so take your time and do it right! Like you said younguns equal safety first last and always! Happy thanksgiving!
Cliff
Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
Here is a pic of the decal, bit faded but she is a 1959.
-m
Don't lose the Land Yacht Plaque -- it will cost a bundle to replace!

Quick comment on weight and weight distribution:

- It's great that you have the vision for how you want to use the trailer. You'll want to get a total estimate of weight you'll carry as well as how it might be distributed. No need to get too crazy about it -- sounds like you'll build in a good safety margin.

- Total weight is important to know for your choice of replacement axle, should you decide to do so. If you're repairing your leaf springs, you may need to beef them up a little. The original weight is listed in the original brochure on the Airstream.com site as 3170 lbs.

- If the weight gain is pretty high, you may need to reinforce the frame when you repair it. Odds of having to do some welding repairs are pretty high for a trailer of this age. (but they are SO worth fixing)

- Your weight placement will determine the hitch weight, which is ideally 10-15% of your total weight for best towing performance. It's not rocket science -- just think back to the see-saw at the playground -- the further the weight is from the pivot point (axle), the more effect it has on balance. Finally, for the sake of the frame, keep your heavy weight near the axles.

- Good estimates of total and hitch weights will be important in your choice of tow vehicle.

- If you decide to change your axle, Colin Hyde is just south of the US/Canadian border in New York. He did a great job on our frame and axles.

Tags