Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
1959 22' Airstream Land Yacht Trailer

Hello all! I am new to this group and have a question. I have found a 1959 18' airstream land yacht trailer that I am considering buying. I don't know what it might be worth. I have look all over the internet and can't find another like it. None of the models that I find in 1959 or years above and below are land yachts.

The small airstream tag to the right of the door on the exterior of the trailer has 22D 0218 in the upper right corner and 559 in the lower right corner. It also has a approximately 8" x 8" plate just to the right of the window which is to the right of the door that has the name Land Yacht on it.

The trailer is in good to very good condition. The electrical and plumbing all work along with the stove and refrigerator. It has been parked and not used for the last 20 or more years.

If anyone can tell me where I can go to find more information on this trailer especially the possible value I would really appreciate it.

Thank You in advance, Syncrow
syncrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
It is a nice find no matter what it is. Try this link and let us know what it is. 59Traveler

It is either a PACER, TRAVELER, OR GLOBESTER.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Syncrow,

Welcome to the forums!

RJ Dial's Vintage Airstream Photo Archives that drag'n linked above is probably the best source for identification. Airstream made a lot of "18 footers" back then. Some of them carried model designations, others didn't.

The "Land Yacht" name indicates a level of equipment rather than a model. The basic equipment level was designated by just the model, name like "Traveler". With a Traveler Land Yacht you got features like a wastewater holding tank, etc. The International was another option package which was additive--you could have a "Traveler International Land Yacht".

Value depends on rarity and condition. Without knowing any more about it, it is probably safe to say that the value is somewhere in the single-digit thousands.

Best regards,
Nivi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums.

The VIN you provided does not decode perfectly with the different examples that Airstream has used over the years, but there are always many exceptions in the VIN world. I believe based on the numbers that you are looking at a 1960 22 foot Airstream. The first two numbers being 22 makes that pretty certain. Airstreams are measured from ball to bumper. The body may be around 18 feet, but the total length would be 22 feet. The D after the 22 would make it a double bed configuration. The 0 would make it a 1960 unit and the 218 would be the unique manufacturing number. This is not standard VIN for 1960, but it is the same format used by some early 60 Trade Winds made in the California plant, so I am going to guess that this unit was also made at that facility.

There were several 22 foot trailers made in 1960 and it could be any of these: Flying Cloud, Safari, Caravanner and Custom. You can find pictures of all of these here: Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

The value is based on condition. Trailers that have sat for many years often have more issues then ones that are used all the time. An inspection of the trailer is the only way to determine the condition/value.

Good luck with the trailer, post some pictures if you have them and maybe we can nail down the exact model for you.

BTW, here is a picture from a 1960 Caravanner which shows the plate that you might be talking about.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
"22D0218" matches the serial number for a 1959 California made 22' Flying Cloud with double bed: 59FC
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Photos help a great deal in finding what model it is. You can also get some feed back on condition by putting out some photos. I guess what I am saying is post some pictures.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Thanks for your quick responses. I had already been to the recommended sites but now have a better understanding of what I was looking at. I made a mistake in stating that the trailer is an 18' it is actually a 22' as azflycaster explains. It has a similiar floor plan to the one shown in in the 18' Traveler link that Drag'wagon submitted,59Traveler only with a closet between the refrigerator and the double bed and either a larger closet or larger toilet on the street side.

The Land Yacht tag is the same as in the photo that azflycaster shows and it doesn't have a model tag as Nuvite-F mentions.

I believe the trailer is,as 66overlander suggests, a 1959 Flying Cloud with a double bed, dinnete and Land Yacht options equipted and no model tag.

I have attached photos as 62overlander suggested, good idea. I hope they come through.Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 1.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	82283

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 2.JPG
Views:	745
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	82284

syncrow
Old 06-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
wow thats a great find, nice looking trailer
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I love everything about it except that white paint.... nice skin. hope you buy and we camp together soon.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is a great looking trailer. As mentioned above, the Land Yacht distinction indicates some of the features such as the 12 volt battery under the front window. One of the unique features I see is the single window ahead of the entry door. On every other one I have seen, there were two stacked windows ahead of the door. Another item is the exterior fridge vent. Can't make out just what's going on there. How's the interior?

BTW - change out those rims as they are the infamous split rim type and are very dangerous.

Welcome aboard and post some more pix when you can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrow View Post
The Land Yacht tag is the same as in the photo that azflycaster shows and it doesn't have a model tag as Nuvite-F mentions.
That's pretty common. Our 1980 22 ft International Caravelle has an "International" plate, but nowhere on it does it say "Caravelle"--ya just gotta know. (Part of the Airstream mystique. . . )

The white painted roof may have come that way from the factory. I understand that some California trailers were painted that way for camping in the desert.

Looks like a nice find!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I bet with all this "approval" from us here in the peanut gallery he is plunking down the money as we speak.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Syncrow, that's a nice looking trailer. I'm a new member here and a new owner of a 59 Airstream myself. That white paint was either a factory or dealer option called "Egyptian Lacquer" (at least that's what it said on my invoice). I kind of like the look when it is in good shape. But I'll warn you that if you want to take it off, it's a nasty, time consuming project (not unlike many other Airstream restoration projects)
Norm
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I bet with all this "approval" from us here in the peanut gallery he is plunking down the money as we speak.
Yes, I am actually getting a little anxious about it after all this info and research. I have been offering to buy this trailer for years but the land owner where the trailer is parked didn't want to sell it because it was abandoned on his property and he did not have the title to it. He kept telling me he was going to check into it.

The land owner has passed away and his son has placed a lein on the trailer and can now sell it. He has promised it to me for $800.00. I have been meaning to do this research for a long time but didn't get into because the land owner did not want to sell it without proper papers.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
That is a great looking trailer. As mentioned above, the Land Yacht distinction indicates some of the features such as the 12 volt battery under the front window. One of the unique features I see is the single window ahead of the entry door. On every other one I have seen, there were two stacked windows ahead of the door. Another item is the exterior fridge vent. Can't make out just what's going on there. How's the interior?

BTW - change out those rims as they are the infamous split rim type and are very dangerous.

Welcome aboard and post some more pix when you can.

Brad
FF
Yes, it was the single window ahead of the door among a few other things that was confusing me. The other trailers that I was able to find photos of had different window layout and different vents and panel doors on the side.

I was only able to glance inside for a just long enough to be shown that the stove and refrigerator are working. It appears to be in good to very good condition with just a couple minutes of standing in the door observation.

I don't have any photos of the interior but will post when I get some.

syncrow
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
los angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
Syncrow, that's a nice looking trailer. I'm a new member here and a new owner of a 59 Airstream myself. That white paint was either a factory or dealer option called "Egyptian Lacquer" (at least that's what it said on my invoice). I kind of like the look when it is in good shape. But I'll warn you that if you want to take it off, it's a nasty, time consuming project (not unlike many other Airstream restoration projects)
Norm
The white top is ok for me also. I would much rather freshen it up than attempt to remove it. It is parked in the desert and will probably be stored in the desert if it becomes mine.

Thanks for the "Egyptian Lacquer" dealer option info. I am curious if that option might be part of the Land Yacht options that this trailer has.

syncrow
Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Thanks for the "Egyptian Lacquer" dealer option info. I am curious if that option might be part of the Land Yacht options that this trailer has.

syncrow
I'm not sure, but somebody here probably knows. Mine is a Land Yacht with the International options also, but the Egyptian Lacquer was a separate line on the invoice and appears to have been a dealer option.

I was kind of stuck with the paint stripping job as the previous owner had already started and it looked horrible.

Post some pics of the interior when you can. It really looks great from the outside.
Norm
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Are there any hints of old "big red" WBCCI numbers on the end caps? Every time I see one that has the roof painted white I wonder if it was on any of the big caravans, like the 1959-60 Cape Town to Cairo Caravan or the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
He has promised it to me for $800.00.
Grab it and run!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
At $800 for that trailer, the only thing that would stop me would be if it was used to store nuclear waste, and a bear was living in it. The shell looks to be in great shape, and beyond that, everything else can be fixed if it needs it. The late 50's/early 60's Airstreams are so light that you could pull them with a Buick (or a Caddy, like the guy pictured on the door plate preferred). Buy it and don't look back- before the guy that has it decides to add a zero to the price.
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags