Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
newport Coast , California
Rivet 1959 18' Globetrotter /First time airstream owners

Hi:
My husband and I just purchased a 1959 18' Globetrotter. It is 90% original and we love it. We have never been campers, but have always loved and collected old/mid century cars and homes.

We have many questions about the where's and whats of an old Airstream, but and just starting to seek out answers.

We live in So. California and like our trailer are in our late 40's.

Both of us are looking forward to meeting other Airstreamer's and also venturing out on the road to one of the rally's.
Feel free to contact us and we look forward to meeting some new friends.
Kim Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, Kim, and congrats on your Airstream!... You are in the right place to find everything out you need to know...poke around in the subforums which deal with specific areas of information, and feel free to ask any questions you may have as you proceed on your Airstream journey. You'll be amazed at the depth of knowledge and helpfulness you'll find from the good folks on this forum...they are great...

Glad you could join us! See you down the road...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Welcome

This is a great site. If you are interested in meeting some more CA Streamers, we have several rallys planned over the coming months. Our next one, so far, is January 18. Click on this link for a discussion: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-35214.html
Also, check the Rally Calendar for January to get specifics. We'd be happy to have you join us. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
For some reason, that link that I posted is not working to take you to the Rally Discussion. But if you go to the Rally Calendar, you can click on it there, and it will take you to the Rally Discussion. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Welcome! There's losts to do in SoCal when you have an Airstream, and year round to boot! Actually, there's rumors of Rallies and gatherings all Winter long - keep your eyes peeled on the Rally threads, and join in whenever you can. There is no admission fee, no politics, and no problems, unless the Patron runs out.....
Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Welcome Kim, even though you've never been campers before, you'll see you will love camping in an Airstream. Especially a vintage one. Do you have a vintage auto in your collection you might use for a tow vehicle? Now, post some pictures for us. . . . We love pictures!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
Congratulations!

You must have purchased the Airstream that was just on e-bay last week! We watched that with great interest because we've never seen another '59 Ohio Globetrotter with the exact same plan as ours. Both of ours appear to be in about the same condition. We only had to replace the upholstery and cushions as the originals were crusty, and we've done the first two phases of polishing. What plans do you have for yours? (Travel or otherwise...)

You sound like us----we were never campers before, either, but this has opened up a whole new world for us! The Airstreams have become accessories to our old cars (other hobbies are old cars and houses, also). We towed ours to the International Rally in Georgia with our 1963 Studebaker Wagonaire this past summer, and it was a blast! The only drawback of our little '59 is the lack of a shower, but we did just fine by staying at campgrounds with facilities. Also, it's great to not have to worry too much about winterizing her!

Congrats on your new Airstream and welcome to the community!
Lori
59 GlobTro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Yes we were the ones on E-Bay, it was quite exciting. We then had to drive 5 hours into AZ and then 5 hours back. We spent the weekend cleaning it.
Even though they had re-covered the sitting area, it is a bit crunchy feeling.
The Mattress is totaly gross. Any leads for the replacment mattress????
My husband is obsessed with putting the correct wheels on it. We purchased the hubcaps already, but now need to find out what wheels with 6 lug pattern to buy.

I have not had time to really ask alot of these questions in the forums yet, but I am sure that someone will have answers to these and many more questions.

I know without a shower is a drag. It is the only thing that really bugs me.

I am looking forward to bringing it back to as close to original as possible.

We love old cars, we have a 1967 Corvette (which is Chris's) and I have had a 1955 T bird (which we sold a few years ago )and had a 1963 VW which was totally original (also sold ) I had a old Studd Lark back in 1978 and loved it.

We are presently looking for a late 50's early 60's car to tow our new toy... Which we call "The Wellshly Arms" or just the Wellshly.
We want something big and maybe with wings. I like wagons myself.

I live in Newport Coast, CA. But we also have a home in Palm Desert CA which is a 1959 ranch house which we are also bringing back to the cool days. It is so fun. We do all the work ourself.

Well we are shooting for the San Clemente ralley to be our first one, but hope to take it out on our own in the next few weeks.

I would love to hear any more stories or suggestions that you have to offer.
Thanks for the nice welcome.

Kim and Chris
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
Hi, Kim,
We went with Knox Foam and replaced everything at once. It wasn't cheap, but it is nice to sleep on fresh, clean foam that no one else has sat/slept on before. Knox Foam will also sell a mattress cover to fit the dimensions you send them. However, since the bed has the curves at the back, we had to have the mattress cover altered a little and the foam cut to fit the curves.

As far as wheels go, my husband says they were originally a 14 1/2" wheel, which is "weird" and apparently a one-year-only Airstream wheel. It uses the mobile-home-type tire, which is cheap and readily available and very heavy-duty, but finding the wheel may be a challenge. We haven't tried it, but a 15" wheel may fit, but it might be tight.

I hope you post pictures as you go... I'm excited to see what upholstery and drape fabrics you choose. Originally, ours had a lime-green, cream, brown, and black plaid upholstery, but since it was rotted where the sun hit it, we replaced it with cream/black/tan houndstooth wool. It's not as fun as the original, but it's a subtle, pleasant pattern.

Any ideas on a tow vehicle, yet? A Chrysler or Dodge wagon with big fins would be perfect! There's a '59 Dodge Wagon with fins on e-bay right now... cool!

eBay Motors: Dodge (item 120196137611 end time Dec-17-07 07:46:10 PST)

Suggestions? If it's cold, figure out how to light the Carlson floor heater before you head out camping. It can take awhile to get the pilot going, and if you can find someone who knows how to light the old furnaces, that will help. Same with the refrigerator. Oh, and the refrigerator "vents" inside the trailer, so in cool weather, it's great. In hot weather, it's miserable. (When it's really, really hot, we just take a cooler with ice.) The Bargman gas lamp does a great job of lighting if you're boondocking, and it creates some warmth, too. Be sure to check the brakes and make sure the bearings are greased, too.

Truly, we never camped before this last year, and we've learned a lot through the forums and by just going to rallies with other Airstreamers. We'd love to be able to help you if/when you have any questions. Feel free to ask!

~Lori & Will
Old 12-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey Kim,

Christmas Gift sugestions for your Vintage Airstream guy:

1) An ohms / volt meter
2) 4 tubes of silflex
3) A really, really big bucks gift certificate from Andy's Inland
4) Servants that can prepare meals using cast iron impliments over hot campfire coals.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Hi Keth:
Thanks for the heads up. But where and what is Andy's Inland> I cound not locate them in a web search.
thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Hi again Lori & Will:

I have already got the Dodge wagon on my "watch list" thanks.
KC
Old 12-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Cannon
Hi Keth:
Thanks for the heads up. But where and what is Andy's Inland> I cound not locate them in a web search.
thanks
Kim,

Airstream Innovations at Inland RV Center, Inc. (951) 734-8130

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
Hi, Kim,
Below is a short list of some favorite Airstream links for supplies and info:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_suppliers.html
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Wally Byam Caravan Club International http://www.wbcci.org/
http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/#parts
The Vintage Airstream Club The Vintage Airstream Club
Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club: http://www.rmvac.org/

Have you considered a '59-'61 Imperial? They've got really big fins, if you're into that sort of thing. (We've got a '61 Imperial with fins-a-plenty. )

~Lori
Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
I have always loved the Imperial's. Chris already told me he did not want a wagon. I will look around at the Imperials again.. You are not interested in selling are you? Hey do you really have all those different year Airstreams? Which is your favorite? Tell me the 59, (even if you have to lie)
I will check out the sites your recommended. I have already been on the Vintage trailer supply site and we bought hub caps, now we need the correct wheels.
Thanks again for all your input. I will try and post some pictures soon.
The holidays are kinda of crazy.
KC
Old 12-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
I wish I could talk Will into parting with the Imperial....we really do have all of the trailers listed and around 40 Studebakers, about a half-dozen other vintage cars, two Scotty trailers, two -Sytem trailers, and a Spartan (in a pear tree). At least I know where he is on Friday nights!

Our '59 Globetrotter really is our favorite trailer out of all of them. It's been the "easiest" to get going and maintain, it's easy to tow, it doesn't take too long to polish, and it's just one of those cute little trailers that makes everyone smile.

Vintage Trailer Supply has been a great resource. I'm wondering if they might have any ideas/leads on wheels?

~Lori
Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Lori

Will is approaching hero status with the guys. Wow, studes up the ying yang, a swack of others, a gaggle of trailers - I am SO jealous. Oh, and thanks for sharing this info, I've printed it and will use it to assist with my discussions with Donna whenever I see another car/trailer/boat/tractor/whatever up for sale.

Merry Christmas.

Barry
Old 12-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' Globetrotter
Eaton , CO
Glad to help you out, Barry. Guys - I cannot predict whether your wives will have empathy with me and say, "OK, as long as you don't get as bad as that nut Will," or, "I don't care how many cars and trailers Will has. You CANNOT get another one!"

~Lori
Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Stude Heaven.
I love Stude's... I am totally jealous. I love the hawks.
We may look into one to pull our little "Wellshly" (the name of our globtrotter)
Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #20
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome Will and congratulations on your '59. That is the best year of manufacture in my opinion. I, too, would love to see some pictures when you get a chance. What 'flavor' of wood is your interior and how's the appliances? The Four Corners Unit is having a New Year's rally at Picacho Peak about half way between Phoenix and Tucson you'ld be welcome to attend. Check us out.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags