Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #21
Cruisette

1951 15' Cruisette
San Francisco , California
Continuing to make progress!

Started out with most of the paint off the end cap, but still some left to go:

Other end cap looked pretty clean, but some weird green stuff under the window that wasn't coming off and a lot of trace residue still remaining:

Started removing the interior skins. Amazing how clean/new the aluminum looks on the inside, given that it is literally 63 years old!

Strangely, the Cruisette only had insulation starting at the shoulder line. Is this normal?

Looking better:
cruisette51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
The insulation on my 1947 as shown here has insulation all the way to floor levelClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1394775571.362598.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	772.3 KB
ID:	207400
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #23
Cruisette

1951 15' Cruisette
The next day we got it stripped down to bare aluminum on the inside!

That's a lot of little scrapings... and this is after we swept most of the old stuff out:

Side view:

Great riveting. For panel replacements, is there some kind of a rivet position template to help get them this straight and even?

Some minor aluminum corrosion in here. Going to try walnut blasting (we don't want the interior aluminum to be a high gloss shine anyway)... but would 0000 steel wool work better?

Is this white patchy stuff aluminum corrosion? what's the best way to clean this?

Getting pretty close to lifting body off frame, which we are excited about. For an Airstream this short, would the "lift body with gantry crane and chain hoist" or "brace the body and jack it up from the frame" approach be better? Which gives better control for lining things back up together when rejoining body to frame?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
We have done the brace and jack method and it was very easy. The wife and I did it in 20 minutes once all bracing was in and we're both in our sixties. As far as aligning when going back on- make reference marks with a sharpie on inside wall and on you c-channel in several places. Looks good so far, keep it going!!
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Encinitas , California
Great Progress!

As you saw from my photos, I did the brace and jack method. It was easy. I didn't have any floor, wheel-wells, or C-channels that got re-used so my alignment was with the step.

Just a heads up for when you replace the shell, make sure to measure the perimeter of the floor. It needs to be a smaller measurement than the perimeter of the shell at the bottom. If the existing floor is intact, measure it before removing it.

I really love your little trailer!

Chris
Star-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Don't use steel wool on aluminum!

... but would 0000 steel wool work better?

Steel wool will leave tiny bits of steel imbedded in the surface of the aluminum. Galvanic corrosion will set in around each and every bit, and you'll have a real problem in a few years.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
.. but would 0000 steel wool work better?

Steel wool will leave tiny bits of steel imbedded in the surface of the aluminum. Galvanic corrosion will set in around each and every bit, and you'll have a real problem in a few years.
we did use 000 steel wool and have had it 4 yrs and it did not do this. however, in theory its correct. you can get aluminum wool which would prevent any chance of it happening.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
You mentioned something to get rivet lines straight and even earlier, depending on where you want the rivets a "rivet fan" is probably the tool you want, it's a common aviation tool so I'd imagine aircraft spruce and the like would sell them. And yup steel wool is bad but the damage will only show up when there's an electrolyte (moisture) introduced later on. Aluminum wool, Scotchbrite pads or Scothbrite discs on a die grinder work a treat.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Are you going to remove the end caps? I see that you striped them but did not to remove them and I was jus wondering because sealing the leaks on the end caps and the insulation behind them. Looks really good so far.
Cliff
Old 06-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1951 15' Cruisette
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisette51 View Post
The next day we got it stripped down to bare aluminum on the inside!

That's a lot of little scrapings... and this is after we swept most of the old stuff out:

Side view:

Great riveting. For panel replacements, is there some kind of a rivet position template to help get them this straight and even?

Some minor aluminum corrosion in here. Going to try walnut blasting (we don't want the interior aluminum to be a high gloss shine anyway)... but would 0000 steel wool work better?

Is this white patchy stuff aluminum corrosion? what's the best way to clean this?

Getting pretty close to lifting body off frame, which we are excited about. For an Airstream this short, would the "lift body with gantry crane and chain hoist" or "brace the body and jack it up from the frame" approach be better? Which gives better control for lining things back up together when rejoining body to frame?
I've been waiting for you to show up. My name is Jason, and I own number 8008. I, along with another cruisette owner, have been compiling a "census" over the last several years of how many cruisette's are still out there by serial number and photos (There is a common misconception out there that only 75 were made. There were actually 76. The serial range is from 8000 to 8075, but you have to count the very first unit, with the zero). To date there are 33 confirmed by serial number, and most have accompanying photos. There are currently 5 "mystery" units, that I have photos of but no serial numbers. You have one of the mystery units! Can you please send me an email or post it to your thread? That will make 34 confirmed with serial numbers to date. Thanks for your help.
Oh, and I feel your pain. I restored mine from the floor up, but decided on a birch interior. I had only the original upper galley cabinets to work with, so I made all-new interior cabinets and changed the layout to give it a larger feel and used vintage appliances. Here's a link to the resto photos. Airstream 1951 Cruisette
Good luck, and thanks in advance for the serial number! Jason
rarestream51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Fantastic find and work so far! I've also got a Cruisette--#8050--(I'm the other Cruisette owner Jason refers to). Sort of the East coast census keeper vs. his West coast role. You look to have at least 80% of the interior components. Very few have survived that intact. I'll concur that I too would love to know the serial number of this gem. Keep updating your progress, its very encouraging!
Tim
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #32
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Was all glass original? I could not find gasket for them. I think AS stopped using these windows in 51. I also found replacing the glass quite difficult. If you figure it out let me know.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
Was all glass original? I could not find gasket for them. I think AS stopped using these windows in 51. I also found replacing the glass quite difficult. If you figure it out let me know.
My trailer--8050 has original glass in all windows except the front & rear lower panes. Vandals broke them back in the '70s when it was parked on the street. My father replaced the glass with plexi and new gaskets. It was not easy due the the shape of the edging channel, but can be done. VTS was supposed to make a replacement gasket but haven't. I think they are selling something similar now but its grey not black. The windows in my fiberglass truck cap have a gasket that looks very similar in black vinyl. I'm planning on investigating it when I'm ready to tackle the windows on my trailer. HTH
Tim
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
La Caņada Flintridge , California
Which one of you guys is ready to sell me your Cruisette? I want one.
kellykellyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1951 15' Cruisette
Sold.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarestream51 View Post
Sold.
Well I don't like the sound of that!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
Quote:
I've been waiting for you to show up. My name is Jason, and I own number 8008. I, along with another cruisette owner, have been compiling a "census" over the last several years of how many cruisette's are still out there by serial number and photos (There is a common misconception out there that only 75 were made. There were actually 76. The serial range is from 8000 to 8075, but you have to count the very first unit, with the zero). To date there are 33 confirmed by serial number, and most have accompanying photos. There are currently 5 "mystery" units, that I have photos of but no serial numbers. You have one of the mystery units! Can you please send me an email or post it to your thread? That will make 34 confirmed with serial numbers to date. Thanks for your help.
Oh, and I feel your pain. I restored mine from the floor up, but decided on a birch interior. I had only the original upper galley cabinets to work with, so I made all-new interior cabinets and changed the layout to give it a larger feel and used vintage appliances. Here's a link to the resto photos. Airstream 1951 Cruisette
Good luck, and thanks in advance for the serial number! Jason

Hello Jason! I have just found and purchased a '52 Cruisette Serial # 8073. Yeah me!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1951 15' Cruisette
Congrats Kelly!! I believe that would be from Dallas Blair? He also owns 8075. Must be thinning the herd! A very interesting unit, that one, with the aftermarket overhead cabinets and the sink/stove/refrig combo. Have fun with it!!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
1967 20' Globetrotter
2010 19' International
Quote:
Congrats Kelly!! I believe that would be from Dallas Blair? He also owns 8075. Must be thinning the herd! A very interesting unit, that one, with the aftermarket overhead cabinets and the sink/stove/refrig combo. Have fun with it!!

It is the one you described but I bought it from a restorer, so Dallas must have sold it to them and they sold it to me. I had no idea anyone had two! I am not finding very much Cruisette renovation info here on Airforums. Some folks seem to start with sharing details then fall off. I have no idea what to do with this one so am looking for any info I can find. Any ideas on a good source of info with what others have done?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #40
Cruisette

1951 15' Cruisette
Hey guys -- sorry I have been MIA for so long! Just saw all these messages. Mine is #8018, so I hope that helps take one of the "mystery airstreams" off the list of mysteries. This was a super busy year, so I didn't have much chance to make progress on it, but 2015 will be a better year. Plenty more pictures to come. Do we have a "census" of Airstreams posted somewhere? Would be great to have a Wiki or something if anyone knows how to set one up.