Old 06-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Gotta love it!

Oh Boy! We must all be super bored at work today...huh?!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Yea, but I haven't heard anybody "jinx" anybody in years. Gave me a really nice laugh! Back to your regularly scheduled thread, now.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Yea, but I haven't heard anybody "jinx" anybody in years. Gave me a really nice laugh! Back to your regularly scheduled thread, now.

Jim
Guess that shows my age, huh!?

Shari

Old 06-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #18
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Guess that shows my age, huh!?

Shari
And mine, too!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Jinx

Well, all I can say is I have my "mojo hand" on for protection while reading this thread!

Definitions of jinx on the Web:
  • The bearer of bad luck. A mojo hand would be worn for protection from a jinx.
    blues.about.com/cs/bluesinschools/a/blbluesgloss_2.htm

• hex: cast a spell over someone or something; put a hex on someone or something
  • jonah: a person believed to bring bad luck to those around him
  • hex: an evil spell; "a witch put a curse on his whole family"; "he put the whammy on me"
  • foredoom to failure; "This project is jinxed!"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

• A jinx, in popular superstition and folklore, is:* A sort of curse placed on a person that makes them prey to large numbers of minor misfortunes and other forms of bad luck; * A person afflicted with a similar curse, who, while not directly subject to a series of misfortunes, seems to attract them to anyone in his general area.*An object or animal that brings bad luck.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx

• Jinx is the major label debut of the Icelandic rap/rock band Quarashi.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(album)

• Jinx is a supervillain appearing in the DC Comics universe. She is an intiated member of the Fearsome Five (although she was not one of the original group). She first appeared in Tales of the Teen Titans #56.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(comics)

• Jinx was a minor recurring character on the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer during season 5. He was a demon and worshipped Glory, whom he served as a minion.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer)

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Geeze, and I thought it was just a simple childhood game!

"Jinx, you owe me a coke!" when you both said something at the same time. I guess it probably evolved from if you give me a gift, then I'll lift the hex from you. yikes!~ I won't be using that anymore!

Shari

Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Klamath Falls , Oregon
Question 1949 ? GlobeTrotter ?

Here are the pictures you asked for....

Notice the water filler tube on the side and the black water drain in the back.

Notice the extended tongue.

You can see the extended tongue here too

The dinnete area in front

Updated Refer

Wall with Door into Bathroom

This speaks for itself

Updated Shower...

From The Back Looking Forward - Bed on left with Water storage under the bed

The water storage is under the bed on the right as you look at it from here

The step appears to be the worst of the damage on the trailer..

You can see the long tongue here too approx 3' long

Here is the water Storage Tank under the bed.

Here is the "Unbrella Vent"

Here is the Serial number Plate (SN# 4003)

I hope this helps to define what the model and condition of the trailer is....
I would appreciate any input that can be given!

Thanks,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Can you post any pictures? It may help ID it.

There are also some e folks here that are very good with the "what is it mystery" so hang in there, someone will be able to help you.

In the meantime, have you looked at the Vintage Archives and the Price vs Condition guide, they may also help ID it and give you an idea of value.

Shari
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

22' Liner-

Would be my guess...

There was some kind of Custom or Limited built around those years as well- but at that length I'd say its close enough to be the Liner...
Old 06-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Pipe frame-

Yours has been altered- I should say improved- the straight looking L or U channel was added after someone either broke the pipes main tube, or saw someone else break theirs. Pipe frames are not really sturdy- I have a '49 Whirlwind and swore if I ever decide to get into it, I'm going to either eliminate the frame and fab a custom aluminum one, or at least swage the tube- thats where you'd find or mill a strong piece of tubing to securely and tightly slide into the existing tube, and weld it in place in tabbed areas- gives it the strength it needs to travel at todays speeds.

Ya have to remember, when that trailer was sold, you'd be maxed out with your '48 Plymouth at about 35 or 40 MPH- my F350 PSD at 70 will destroy the thing in less than 100 miles.

I've seen a photo of a pipe frame Airstream that actually broke in half on the down side of a bridge in Oakland- the trailer literally had the body ripped in 2- one half dragged behind the truck, and the other was luckily just sliding a short distance and stopped itself on the shoulder- rear axle intact.

I think you have a great trailer there- that green paint is on all the old ones I've seen- it was standard before Zolatone. Check the floor under the vents for rot, and that step is an easy fix- you're lucky, I believe you have a nice project that can be a great trailer with little work. Enjoy it, but watch that frame- look under it and see what it looks and feels like.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Klamath Falls , Oregon
Question

My question would be why would the serial number be so far out of sequence for the Liners of that era? Everything I've read indicates it should be in 1000 -1400 or so series... In reading the ads on the Globetrotter in 1949 I was wondering if it is a Globetrotter considering the "Extra's" for that era.

http://www.airstream.net/members/doc...ds/49JanTT.pdf
http://www.airstream.net/members/doc...ds/49MidTT.pdf

Please take a look and see if I'm way off base...

Thanks,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
Would be my guess...

There was some kind of Custom or Limited built around those years as well- but at that length I'd say its close enough to be the Liner...
Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7hfa
My question would be why would the serial number be so far out of sequence for the Liners of that era? Everything I've read indicates it should be in 1000 -1400 or so series... In reading the ads on the Globetrotter in 1949 I was wondering if it is a Globetrotter considering the "Extra's" for that era.

http://www.airstream.net/members/doc...ds/49JanTT.pdf
http://www.airstream.net/members/doc...ds/49MidTT.pdf

Please take a look and see if I'm way off base...

Thanks,
Ron
Ron,

One thing you might consider is joining the WBCCI (Airstream Club) and attending the International Rally from June 28 to July 4 in Salem. If you brought this trailer you will receive answers to many of your questions.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7hfa
My question would be why would the serial number be so far out of sequence for the Liners of that era? Everything I've read indicates it should be in 1000 -1400 or so series... In reading the ads on the Globetrotter in 1949 I was wondering if it is a Globetrotter considering the "Extra's" for that era. Thanks, Ron
Hi Ron:

I'm wondering the same thing too, as I don't recall seeing any late 1940's Airstreams with a serial number in the 40XX range. I have some feelers out on that question, and if I learn anything worthwhile I'll post it.

Other than the unusual s/n, your trailer looks like a +- 1949 22' Liner that has been modified with a toilet and shower added to the rear, a newer fridge as you noticed, a later Panelray heater (as indicated by the large controller housing at the bottom), a water tank, etc. The 1949 catalog Globe Trotter floor plan shows a side closet location, not full width across the rear, for the factory toilet and shower. The pipe frame tongue reinforcement is, of course, also added later. It's hard to tell from the photos when these features may have installed in or added to the trailer. It certainly raises more questions than provides answers. Finally, welcome aboard!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Theories-

I originally started thinking that possibly someone changed the VIN plate- but the address is from a 1940's Main St built trailer- thats definite.

I can't see the 4 clear enough, but maybe someone had stolen the trailer at some point in its long life, and changed the 1 to a 4- is it possible that you can see and compare identical stampings close up- lets say at a rally?

The 4 looks to be stamped deeper, and its not really the same as the other stamps. I know that from a 1, to alter it the only choice to match up is a 4- draw them on a piece of paper- you can't make it a 3 or a 6. You can make a 3 an 8. I had someone stealing money from my bank account, and it was an employee who would alter 1's to 4's and 3's to 8's to increase his pay to feed his drug habit...

If thats the possible case- you have the 3rd produced Airstream Liner ever made- not bad. Your custom tongue is a lot longer too- so measuring it is another way to confuse identity. Either way, I think you have a great trailer that will restore easily- and you have a clear title to it and own it with the number thats stamped on the ID plate.

Restore it and enjoy it
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Klamath Falls , Oregon
Here are some better pictures of the Serial number. I took this picture then inverted the colors for another look. Interesting zero in the second position... Almost looks like it was a double stamp, but the bottom of the zero remains the same, maybe a small "o" then the "0". But the four looks like a single stamp..... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Ron:

I'm wondering the same thing too, as I don't recall seeing any late 1940's Airstreams with a serial number in the 40XX range. I have some feelers out on that question, and if I learn anything worthwhile I'll post it.

Other than the unusual s/n, your trailer looks like a +- 1949 22' Liner that has been modified with a toilet and shower added to the rear, a newer fridge as you noticed, a later Panelray heater (as indicated by the large controller housing at the bottom), a water tank, etc. The 1949 catalog Globe Trotter floor plan shows a side closet location, not full width across the rear, for the factory toilet and shower. The pipe frame tongue reinforcement is, of course, also added later. It's hard to tell from the photos when these features may have installed in or added to the trailer. It certainly raises more questions than provides answers. Finally, welcome aboard!

Tags