Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I have stock GM extendable mirrors and an 8'6" wide Safari -- that isn't nearly as nice as tow-package extendables when I pulled my 7'9" or so Argosy. I could really see what was going on with the Argosy. I currently can't see the curb side of my Safari while underway. My GMC manual actually says the tow-package extendables are not for trailers over 8' wide (a little C.Y.A. there...). Having convex mirrors on both sides of your tow vehicle also adds a lot!
BTW - the tow package mirrors I have do have the lower panel convex mirrors. I just went out and measured. From the outside edges of the mirror glass while extended it measures 106" -- this on an '06 GMC 2500 pickup.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Mickleton , New Jersey
Tow Mirrors

This morning I ordered two sets of McKesh Mirrors including the convex.
Suppose to arrive on Thursday, this Friday we take delivery of the 2007 Safari at Colonial Airstream. Hoping the delivery goes smoothly and my first time trailering goes well.

Thanks Canoe Stream
Larry
mickleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
mickleton,

Great choice, we would have bought the 23' if the bed was a bit bigger, really just a personal preference.
Getting good mirrors is as important as a good hitch, visibility is everything while on the road and during parking.
You are gonna love it.....have fun.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Mikleton, the best advise for new trailer owner is to take your time with everything.
Prior to hitting the highway you should become familiar with the "LOOK" through the mirrors, of your overall length.
A little time in an open parking area off in a corner of a big shopping center will help you become more familiar with the turning radius of the rig.
Begin your backing education in a straight line. Learn to back straight. Small corrections and pulling forward to straighten out are key.
Once on the open road the simple lesson of all driving instruction is to, "look ahead and drive there."
Best of luck on your maiden voyage.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
recommendation for what a reasonable size trailer is for a family of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell
I am in the same boat as Larry - I just started looking for a good trailer to travel with my family (2 adults, 3 kids under 10), and Airstreams seem wonderful. I have a preference for older, quality craftsmanship, especially if it lasts and can be fixed up! I think I'm in the right place.
Does anyone have a recommendation for what a reasonable size trailer is for a family of 5? Other recommendations?
Greetings,
I have seen 25' Safari models that are described as sleeping 6.
You can see floor plans for current models at the Airstream company web site. http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...ari_plans.html
If that looks OK, then start your search for an older, more affordable year.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote