Originally Posted by Jammer
A look at the specifications for each model shows that the Classic Limited is approximately 1000 pounds heavier than other Airstreams of the same length.
pick a specific year and length and we can discuss it.
for example 2010s in 27ft FB are ~700 lbs different classic vs cloud.
while that same classic has a GREATER carry capacity/payload than the cloud and MORE features built into it...
1. classics have the FULL AWNING package standard. for example mine has 5 awnings, cloud has the patio awning standard.
the OTHER awnings can be ordered on the other lines but as an accessory so that won't show in the base weights.
2. many classics have electric jacks front/rear again this adds some mass.
3. classics have a slightly different frame, more beef.
4. classics have MORE exterior storage bays, for example the rear bumper drawer.
5. while d/c for this coming year, classics have disc brakes the last 5 years.
6. classics have higher rated axles, combined with the frame yields GREATER carry capacity
7. only a 6 gallon water heater but typically they have larger holding tanks, for example mine is 38 for gray/black each, and 60 fresh.
8. full framed windows for the classics and ccds vs hehr on the base cloud.
upgraded clouds have full frame windows but as an option package this MAY not be included in base weighs.
9. classic window treatments include double blinds AND curtains and are have boxed valences above AND below.
10. the corian does NOT add more weight than the glued laminate counters, nor does the solid wood doors vs glued particle board...
11.a. but there is MORE cabinetry and framing for those cabinets which does add some weight.
for example solid wood panty interior shelves on the classic vs ikea like metal grating on the clouds.
and there is MORE storage cabinets inside a classic vs cloud and the INTERIORS of the cabinets are FINISHED in wood.
while the clouds are UNfinished inside the overheads, and the ccd models have acrylic or light perf metal sliders over head.
11.b. MORE tables in the classics, mine has 3 tables that approximate 3 times the table surface
of the clouds.
12. fridge size? mine has 10 cf fridge while smaller is standard on the lesser lines.
13.dinette has METAL framed, spring steel seat cushion supports, very comfortable AND wooden storage drawers underneath.
14. mattress isn't FOAM on the classics, but rather an INNER steel coil spring mattress, thicker and more comfortable.
15. often MORE light fixtures in the classics.
for example mine has 12 fluorescent ceiling boxes, along with the variety of hi intensity recessed fixtures AND 4 wall mounted fixtures
AND a chandelier...
16. double sinks in the galley and a MUCH LARGER sink in the lav. mine has porcelain/steel kitchen sinks and a SOLID ceramic bowl in the lav.
17. LARGER shower stall in the classics (fiberglass is heavy) and a SOLID shower door (not an accordion slider) and porcelain crapper.
18. EVERY interior wall surface in the classics is COVERED with something....
foam/vinly ceilings, mouse fur wall and flooring of some sort (mine is ALL vinyl with NO carpet)
19. 2 zipdee lawn chairs standard in the classics.
20. often there are MORE WINDOWS in the classics, for example mine has 18 metal framed windows.
21. mirrors...mine had 12+ beveled mirrors (part of the french whore house edition) before i removed them...
AND full length sliding mirrors on 2 closets doors (~5ft x 4ft of mirrored glass)
what most people fail to realize is that the classic line has historically contained a LOT of extra features or LARGER bits.
the simple fact is the classics are MORE EXPENSIVE for a/s to produce,
which is WHY they have moved to DEcontented lines and less expensive styling.
more buyers are simply UNaware of these issues and make purchase decisions based on trendy facades.
have u noticed there is now a 30 ft cloud? big trailers will be built again but with LESS features and LESSER quality materials...
for example the 34 ft pan/am model isn't a classic, with a large part of the interior finished like a storage shed...
it doesn't have the full awning package and much of the interior bits are simply cheap stuff with little man hours involved in the parts.
so again IF you mention a specific year/length/model we can compare bits to bits...