Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Wolverine, 2air,

Thanks for the insights.

Indeed the challenge with this search overall has been that the RV manufacturers as a group have followed the housing industry in offering large square footage, big TV, low purchase priace, and abysmally poor fit, finish, build quality, and design. I do intend to USE my trailer, frequently, occasionally even working from it on longer trips. Airstream is really the only game in town unless you want to drive a bus or are willing to put up with cabinetry made out of paper mache and upholstery made entirely of polyester.

I have owned four pickups and two vans over the years and have come to the conclusion that the van is really a better set of tradeoffs for long trips of any kind unless you absolutely have to have the open bed for something. A benefit of the van is that with the proper setup it can provide separate space for kids who crash early.

Going to have to ponder your comments on twin vs queen beds. Twin beds do provide more flexibility in a variety of situations.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
...Twin beds do provide more flexibility in a variety of situations.
yes

i like the queen/34 but twins make any of the classics functionally LONGER.

with a queen there is basically 'shuffle space' to get around the bed on 3 sides.

and the bedroom is SINGLE PURPOSE with a queen mattress filling the room.

but twin beds give a wide center path and the beds can be sofa/play/study areas during the daytime.

the center path is wide enough for a cot or air mattress, creating 3 beds.

the twins beds are LONGER by 6-8 inches than an rv queen.

under bed storage and the shirt closets/overheads are easier to access in the twin set up.

it is useful to get inside both and plot the usage/convertibility of twin vs queen.

sleeping 5 means MAKING beds every night regardless,

but if the adults sleep forward at least most of the living space is available after dark,

and the kids have there own space too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I do intend to USE my trailer, frequently, occasionally even working from it on longer trips.

Had a friend who hired a cabinet maker to remove the twins on an older rear bath model, install a jewelers bench and supply cabinet, and then install an overhead fold-down twin. He slept in front, and, when daughter and husband visited, "retreated" to office/bedroom.

Timeless Travel and others can mod up what you want if it's a serious spec.

Nice thread. I, too, have wondered about weight on A/S, and now I see some of the "workarounds". Thanks, 2Air (and others).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
the weight of my classic unloaded is 7050 lbs.gvw is 10000 lbs.before i traded up from my 05 safari i went to jackson center for the tour.i suggest you do the same so that you can really appreciate the difference between frames,axles,and interior components of the airstream lines.i find the classic buildout makes a really comfortable,liveable trailer.to me after the tour i was willing to pay the additional money to get the classic upgrades.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Picking up our 2010 27' Classic Limited next week, can't wait!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Great Choice! "Bang for the Buck" - I think its very hard to beat the Classics!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
One more point to make - look at the available payload of the Classic 27 & 30 as to the Safari or International - even though the Classic's weigh more, their GVWR is higher and allows for more payload.

Speaks volumes to the "beefier" Classic frame, axels, etc. If you don't believe me then either tour the factory or climb under a few next time you are at your local Airstream dealer....

Now for the Classic interior - I actually love it, only thing that makes me a little sad is that "moving on up" from my 2009 25FB Classic to my 2011 30 Classic is the loss of my "Disc Brakes" - but the Drums will be ok till I can get to The MotherShip and upgrade back to disc.

Lots of memories in the '25 footer towing it coast-coast, mountains, etc. - hopefully as I spend more time in the new unit (knowing this guy is now long term since I upgraded my TV) the loss of my '25 won't be so hard - amazing how one can grow fondly of an inanimate object.

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 classic