Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
When will it end- 2010 Classic?

The list of problems continues to grow with our 2010 31 Classic

The right side closet door refuses to stay inside its track. Every trip down the road means it will need to be put back in place when we reach our destination.

The bathroom door track has come "unscrewed" from the ceiling. I remounted it once, but after a few hundred miles it came out again.

The ceiling vent in the bathromm requires a gentle push upward to get it to open. I'm probably going to replace it with a Fantastic Fan.

The battery charger needs to be replaced because it only "knows" one speed; FULL SPEED!!! And since the batteries are now cooked they need to be replaced as well.
(yes I routinely check the water levels)

Oh, and I also had to replace the deadbolt lock since it jammed.

Apparently, the list will go on and on and on........

Oh yeah, the warranty just ended, too.

oh boy.........

AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post

The right side closet door refuses to stay inside its track. Every trip down the road means it will need to be put back in place when we reach our destination.

The bathroom door track has come "unscrewed" from the ceiling. I remounted it once, but after a few hundred miles it came out again.

The ceiling vent in the bathromm requires a gentle push upward to get it to open. I'm probably going to replace it with a Fantastic Fan.

The battery charger needs to be replaced because it only "knows" one speed; FULL SPEED!!! And since the batteries are now cooked they need to be replaced as well.

oh boy.........
Having properly balanced running gear, will correct most of those problems.

Andy

Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post

oh boy.........
It all sounds pretty normal to me! I am not trying to make light of your "exasperation" here, rather I am only pointing out what has been discussed endless times in this forum. Airstreams (and most other brands if you take the time to do some research) need regular maintenance to keep everything working. This subject always surprises me. I expect things to break and I enjoy the game of trying to keep it all working. That includes a routine of constantly looking for early signs of failure so that I can head them off.
I like my little Airstream projects.....
Bruce
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
AH

Welcome to the....."my warrantee just expired and now I have problems club"

What hitch are you using and what's the rating of the WD bars your using?

Could be they are too stiff with the 250 TV.

I replaced our converter with an IOTA DLS IQ4 55a and am very pleased with the performance, on sale now too.

Bob
Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
You're not a real Airstreamer until you've been driven to the brink a couple of times...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If that was my trailer, I'd check the running gear and hitch setup. It sounds like it's getting a rough ride.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
If that was my trailer, I'd check the running gear and hitch setup. It sounds like it's getting a rough ride.
These things are rough no matter what you do! I posted this once before but I will include it again.... Certainly some food for thought!
Bruce

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Having properly balanced running gear, will correct most of those problems.

Andy
Do you mean the wheels?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Eric and Lisa, sorry to hear of your problems. We had about 60 items on our warranty lists. After giving up on the dealer, we took the trailer to JC and had warranty repairs done there. In the past 2 years the number of things going wrong has slowed way down, partly because I have replaced and fixed a lot of things.

Airstream has been known to help you out even if you are out of warranty if you approach customer relations directly. Since it expired recently, you should make your case to them, or even go higher—to the president of Thor Industries. Do it by letter, not by phone.

Gene
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
We had a lot of similar issues. And there are many threads that talk about what to do to soften the ride. Few of us can do them all at once. We opted for 16 inch wheels, LT tires at a lower pressure, and centramatic ballancers. Difference has been like night and day. Actually left a bowl of water out for the dogs (forgot about it) and several miles later very little had spilled. This weekend I am adding new shocks. But yours is a lot newer than ours and if the wheels are balanced and the pressure is not too high in the tires, then it may be the hitch set up. (of which I know very little)
But I think Andy is right. As he has said many times before, Airstreams want a soft ride.
Good luck

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Gene beat me to it - try approaching JC.

I believe you are the same couple that were confronted with a serious health crisis while your trailer was still under warranty. Don't mean to sound crass, but you've got to fix the significant other before any trailer.

Plead this point to JC. From what I have read, they have a heart.

Many other accurate observations here. I have owned a AS for 15 months; it is analogous to most relationships. A ton of maintenance to keep it going - a royal PITA basically - but you still love "it."
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #12

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It never ends...
My trailer is 37 years old and I am still finding things to fix.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Eric and Lisa, sorry to hear of your problems. We had about 60 items on our warranty lists. After giving up on the dealer, we took the trailer to JC and had warranty repairs done there. In the past 2 years the number of things going wrong has slowed way down, partly because I have replaced and fixed a lot of things.

Airstream has been known to help you out even if you are out of warranty if you approach customer relations directly. Since it expired recently, you should make your case to them, or even go higher—to the president of Thor Industries. Do it by letter, not by phone.

Gene
At first I gave up on the dealer (Explore USA in Denton, TX). Most of our initial warranty issues were handled by Camper Clinic in Buda. TX. They did provide a lot of help. But 3 hours away makes it difficult to work around.

Yesterday, I called the Explore USA store in south Ft. Worth. The first guy I talked to was about as clueless as they come. But he quickly got someone else on the phone that sounded very competent. So I might be giving them a crack at it.

If I had the time I would be happy to take it to JC. If Explore USA can't help I just might have to make time.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We turned trips to JC into vacations—one time we went south to the Keys and another time to Michigan, Minnesota, Ontario and onward.

Gene

Tags
2010 classic