Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night
Gene beat me to it - try approaching JC.

I believe you are the same couple that were confronted with a serious health crisis while your trailer was still under warranty. Don't mean to sound crass, but you've got to fix the significant other before any trailer.

Plead this point to JC. From what I have read, they have a heart.

Many other accurate observations here. I have owned a AS for 15 months; it is analogous to most relationships. A ton of maintenance to keep it going - a royal PITA basically - but you still love "it."
Yes, you are correct. My wife was in the hospital for a week with blood clots in her lungs. That was in September of 2010. About 4 months after we bought the trailer. It really made a huge impact on our ability to use the trailer.

In addition, I have been battling some major eye issues. About 2 years ago I lost the vision in my left eye. The right eye is still a battle, but I believe I am winning that one.

And to add insult to injury in January 2011 we had a significant amount of hail damage to the trailer which took 3 months to repair.

After thinking about all we've had to deal with since we bought the trailer maybe someone is trying to tell us something.

AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Denton dealer. We've had a couple of things done up there and experience was fine. But it wasn't anything extensive. It looks like they may have also changed service managers . . . so not sure whether your experience was under the old or new service manager. Would it be closer to take it to TOP, i think he is just outside Killeen? Pretty much hear good things about him.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post
The list of problems continues to grow with our 2010 31 Classic

The right side closet door refuses to stay inside its track. Every trip down the road means it will need to be put back in place when we reach our destination.
if it is the glass door try turning it over.
Quote:
The bathroom door track has come "unscrewed" from the ceiling. I remounted it once, but after a few hundred miles it came out again.
Use larger diameter screws. You are screwing into sheet aluminum
Quote:
The ceiling vent in the bathroom requires a gentle push upward to get it to open. I'm probably going to replace it with a Fantastic Fan.
the gasket sealing the vent needs some silicone on it.
Quote:
The battery charger needs to be replaced because it only "knows" one speed; FULL SPEED!!! And since the batteries are now cooked they need to be replaced as well.
is the charger for flooded batteries, or AGM?
(yes I routinely check the water levels)
Quote:
Oh, and I also had to replace the deadbolt lock since it jammed.
lubrication! silicone.
Quote:
Apparently, the list will go on and on and on........

Oh yeah, the warranty just ended, too.

oh boy.........
a trailer is a boat on land. A money pit.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi

1) Use larger diameter screws. You are screwing into sheet aluminum

2) the gasket sealing the vent needs some silicone on it.

3) is the charger for flooded batteries, or AGM?
(yes I routinely check the water levels)

4) a trailer is a boat on land. A money pit.
1) Already used larger diameter. If I go any larger I will have to drill out the hole in the track.

2) It doesn't get stuck. There's something about the gearing that won't catch until it opens up about 1/2" or so.

3) It's the original charger (Parallax?), so I assume it's for flooded batteries.

4) I have owned 3 boats and 3 other travel trailers. If you added up all the problems I ever had with them it wouldn't be 1/10 of what I have had with this thing.
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
1) Already used larger diameter. If I go any larger I will have to drill out the hole in the track.

2) It doesn't get stuck. There's something about the gearing that won't catch until it opens up about 1/2" or so.

3) It's the original charger (Parallax?), so I assume it's for flooded batteries.

4) I have owned 3 boats and 3 other travel trailers. If you added up all the problems I ever had with them it wouldn't be 1/10 of what I have had with this thing.
Eric,

I've used this on stripped/loose screws with good results. It has many handy uses and it stays in the AS tool kit.
But having had three boats...you already knew that, right?

The OEM P-lax converter fried the batteries in our Classic while it was still on the dealer lot.

It's useable, but you must be aware of it's limitations, like being able to safely charge your batteries whenever it's plugged in.

Peace-of-mind convinced me to switch it out for a three stage unit. Looks like it's on sale now.

FF is a great company with outstanding products and sooper customer service, you won't regret the switch.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Denton dealer. We've had a couple of things done up there and experience was fine. But it wasn't anything extensive. It looks like they may have also changed service managers . . . so not sure whether your experience was under the old or new service manager. Would it be closer to take it to TOP, i think he is just outside Killeen? Pretty much hear good things about him.
My dealer changes "service managers" more often than a politician changes positions.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
replace the parallax. get a multi-stage charger.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
I had SOB for 5 years of heavy use. Actually lived in it for 6 months with zero problems. I have been looking at A/S trailers as top quality. Now I am having 2nd thoughts.

If A/S trailers would cost 20k then problems would be easier to understand. But the cost of a Classic is 75 to 85k. That is not chump change.

Seems A/S owners need to put pressure on the builder to greatly improve quality. To me it is not a game trying to figure out what will break next or where the next leak will be.

My view if A/S trailers went from cool to they are junk. Now I am not sure you could give me an A/S POS.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
No close relationship, whether warm or cold, is satisfactory without a lot of input on your behalf.

Get used to it or get out.

Dave
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Bottom Line....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My view if A/S trailers went from cool to they are junk. Now I am not sure you could give me an A/S POS.
And you've inspected in person how many, what model AS's?

All I can speak to is the 25' 2004 Classic we bought in 2005. It had many QC concerns that greatly diminished the chance that perceived quality would at some time intersect the price-point trajectory.
We are in the 8th Season, I am fairly confident that could happen this year.

Been fun though.......

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Red face Brain fart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

All I can speak to is the 25' 2004 Classic we bought in 2005.

Been fun though.......

Bob
correction......2003 bought in 2004.

As Kirmit sez....."time's fun, when your having flies."

"honey have you seen the bowl?"

RLC

RLC
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #26
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I had SOB for 5 years of heavy use. Actually lived in it for 6 months with zero problems. I have been looking at A/S trailers as top quality. Now I am having 2nd thoughts.

If A/S trailers would cost 20k then problems would be easier to understand. But the cost of a Classic is 75 to 85k. That is not chump change.

Seems A/S owners need to put pressure on the builder to greatly improve quality. To me it is not a game trying to figure out what will break next or where the next leak will be.

You are making a statement, not asking a question. I sure would not try to convince you to buy a trailer you think is junk. The solution seems very simple. Buy another SOB.

As far as the post that originated this thread is concerned, I have the exact same year and model trailer. I had some similar problems. This is what I did about it. I looked at each problem, did some research here and other places and found a sensible fix for each one. However as far as I can remember, I did not come here and post what a piece of junk my trailer is. I have had truck campers and/or travel trailers most of my life including three different trailers over the last 20 years. Every RV will have problems to be dealt with as long as you have it. If you don't find yourself repairing little things as time goes on, you are letting it go to pot.

To be quite honest, I believe you would be a fool to buy an Airstream, if you truly feel as you say. Do yourself and perhaps us a favor and buy another SOB.

Ken
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
tuffr2,

Our experience was very frustrating. My wife, who quickly fell in love with it, started to think about selling it after a year of constant problems and dealing with a really bad dealer. On our 1st trip to JC, one or two things broke every day. We had had many problems before that and the dealer had damaged our trailer. But they treated us well at JC and we settled into it. After a 2nd warranty trip to JC, I have fixed most things myself and upgraded a lot of the poor quality items in the trailer.

Owning an Airstream can be a challenge. Some owners have few or no problems (or they have low standards) and some of us have a lot of them. As many have said on the Forum, the dealer network is weak, but you are a fairly short drive away from JC, so that is not a major problem. We live 1,400 miles away, so it was a long drive.

Forum members have challenged the company to improve QC at the factory for years. I spent 1 1/2 hours with the company president telling him what I and others thought about material selection and build quality. Some things appear to have changed, but there are still problems.

We like our trailer. We have made it ours and I am able to fix and upgrade it. If you don't have those skills and if you can afford to hire others, things can be fixed. RV's are high maintenance items and they never break near home like cars and trucks because of the way they are used. The trailer looks cool, tows easily and fits into our design desires. We have well over 40,000 miles on it and it is still in good condition.

You might look for a recent model. Someone else will have dealt with the initial problems and eaten the depreciation. But, there are RV's with better reputations for QC—some are super expensive, some are not. You can sometimes get a used Newell MH for around $300K—check their website; they are supposed to be the best. Check the internet for RV reviews—there is a site for that and although the sample it not too large, it may help you. I can't remember the name, but Googling will find it.

Gene
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It's about getting a good dealer, isn't it? Mine has been excellent and has sorted a few minor issues without fuss. It's a shame that not all dealers achieve, or even want to achieve, such high standards and more of a shame that not everyone can get to those good dealers.

I hope you get your quality issues sorted, Eric and Lisa; as you say, though, maybe a trip north is what's required.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 classic