Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
Thanks for the input, I'm taking her down to a shop that specializes in installing brake controllers to check out my setup, I just bought the trailer and had the controller installed on the west coast. I'm back home in Texas now and am not comfy with how it's working...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
goldwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwing1 View Post
I have the P3 and find my elec/Hyd brakes are very sensitive and I feel like the trailer is doing all the braking, I have it set to Hyd and have set it down to 0.3 and it still jerks when brakes are applied? This is my first AS with elec/ Hyd brakes, is this normal?
2008 classic 30
Thanks
Bob

Are you running a Boost setting, or Boost=0? The P3 with electric brakes behaves quite differently in the different boost settings, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes with electric over hydraulic brakes.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
I have tried boost 1, 2, and now no boost selected. It's a little better with no boost, but still not smooth and it gets pretty touchy at low speeds and when backing into a space. My first step is to have the truck checked out, I'm hoping it's not the Hyd Syst on the AS...

Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have boost off and after using the AS more since I posted the original question I think I have a some delay still. Sometimes it seems I have to apply more pressure to stop at higher speeds with towing. Maybe more adjustment is needed but its hard to find a quiet straight road to play with it. It seems to brake OK when in those situations when green lights suddenly change and I'm in that gray zone of wondering if I should brake or go through the intersection but end up braking. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I have boost off and after using the AS more since I posted the original question I think I have a some delay still. Sometimes it seems I have to apply more pressure to stop at higher speeds with towing. Maybe more adjustment is needed but its hard to find a quiet straight road to play with it. It seems to brake OK when in those situations when green lights suddenly change and I'm in that gray zone of wondering if I should brake or go through the intersection but end up braking. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra.

Kelvin
I talked to Dexter about the delay, and they expect up to one second delay with their electric over hydraulic actuator, but mine is worse. Delay will increase with air in the hydraulic system.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Goldwing1,

Can you fill us in on the history of the problem? Always been that way, just started, just started when I did this--------- or other.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
I drove from TX to OR to purchase the unit, I hooked my truck to the AS to check if the factory controller on my 2011 GMC 3500 would work the elec/hyd brakes. They did not work, so I had an RV shop install the p3 controller and we went from 2 volts to 9 volts at the trailer connection on my truck. It works the hyd pump fine, but it seems like I have no way to adjust the pwr for a smooth brake application. P3 manual says it should be set around 5.0 to 6.0, if I use that setting it will put you through the windshield, I drove from OR to TX with it set on 0.3 and its still jerky and not good at all at slow speeds.
Bob
Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You have the same model year as my Classic 25fb. When researching the purchase of this trailer in 2013 I found there are two Airstream recalls for the brakes that had not been performed on my trailer. One is for the Actibrake controller and the other is for the brake lines at the axles. Actibrake is no longer in business. The issue is fluid leaks from the internal reservoir to the electronics. If yours has the Actibrake then it may be leaking and upsetting the way the controller works. Before I purchased my 2008 I had the Airstream dealer replace the Actibrake with the Dexter unit even though there was no evidence of internal leaking. I figured in the long run better to have a Dexter. The dealership replaced the brake line hoses as part of the recall.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ics-67620.html

Kelvin
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
I'm not sure which Sys I have, I'll check it out this weekend.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I pretty sure all Classics in this model year had hydraulic disc brakes. Your actuator will be located in a compartment on the street side just aft of the hitch and if like mine forward of the compartment that has the water hook up, black tank flush hook up and the water output valve. If you have to replace the unit with a Dexter its about $725 for the part.
Dexter Electric Over Hydraulic Brake Actuator (1,600 psi) Dexter Trailer Brakes K71-651

However, if the Actibrake is leaking then the recall should pay for the replacement.

Vogt RV in Fort Worth looks to be your closest Airstream dealer. I bought my preowned AS from them and they performed the recall work for the actuator and brake lines.

Kelvin
Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Whitney , Texas
Thanks for the info