Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I seem to recall a Forum member had their floor replaced at JC and they did the same thing. They pulled out the cabinets, put in flooring, and then put the cabinets on top of them. This is not only wrong, but costs a lot more in time and flooring.

No floor, glued or not, should go under a wall, cabinet or other fixed item. Everything expands and contracts with temperature changes, some more than others. In a house where the temp changes are much less, this still can be a problem. Even ceramic or porcelain tile installed with adhesive like thinset should leave a space by the wall—about 1/4". You wouldn't think tile expands and even so, thinset has pretty strong bond, but the tile can move. That's why drywall cracks when the house framing moves (there are solutions to avoid that, but many contractors ignore them).

Loose lay flooring probably moves more and opens up space between tiles or panel, but it can be moved back. It has the advantage that you can look at what is below it. Glued flooring may stay in place, but the expansion/contraction cycle will still act to move everything at different rates or break the glue bond (especially if a glue breaks down at very low or high temps).

Though cutting the vinyl just in front of cabinets creates a way for water to pool, the same things happens with any properly installed flooring.

There are all sorts of woodworking and carpentry fixes to deal with expansion and contraction. Joints are glued and nailed to keep them together (doesn't always work), moldings are often used to cover possible cracks and movement, panels in doors actually float inside grooves.

Gene

Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I guess if mine gets worse I can talk to my neighbor. He owns a flooring store. Maybe he good find and install a product for me.

Thanks for everyones comments

Kelvin

Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Our 2007 classic limited had a rug over the vinyl under the dining table and carpet in the bedroom. My DW wanted both of these removed since the carpet and rugs were hard to clean. We found some vinyl plank flooring made by Shaw that does not lock together nor does it have to be glued. It has pattern on the underside that does not allow it to slip, you just drop it into place and it stays there. They do recommend putting double stick tape under the outside edge along the wall. It went in fairly easily and looks great. I cut the necessary curves on my bandsaw and straight edge on my table saw with fine toothed blade and the cuts were very clean. Just make sure the wood sub floor is very clean. We will be taking a trip next week and will see how it does when traveling.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
We found some vinyl plank flooring made by Shaw that does not lock together nor does it have to be glued. It has pattern on the underside that does not allow it to slip, you just drop it into place and it stays there.
Sounds like the same principle used by Karndean. When you stand on those planks they will not move, but you can push them sideways (if there is no weight on them) with your finger if you can get it between them—a knife blade will fit. That's how I push them together after a winter of expansion and contraction.

By the way, we thought the Karndean planks (really vinyl I think) were more attractive that anything else we saw several years ago.

Gene
Old 02-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Checked our As in storage and the bulge is back in front of the kitchen extend back to the rear dinette. We've hand some cold nights below 15F over the last month. Putting the cabinets on the flooring doesn't let the floor float. See what happens when the warm weather returns. Last summer the floor flatten out pretty good.

Kelvin
Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Kelvin,

The first few years our floor bulged, it flattened out in the summer, but it kept getting worse and spreading from the kitchen to under the dinette table and didn't flatten out as much.

Gene
Old 02-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Its supposed to go down to -5F tomorrow morning for us. Colder than last year. I hope my floor survives. Looks like a new floor to add to my AS wish list in the next couple of years. Trouble is most vinyl flooring is not suited to RV use. Probably just look for an interlocking (non stick) plank flooring eventually and get my next door neighbor, who owns a flooring store, to have it installed.

Kelvin