Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #1081
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Thank you, Tom.

Gary became the "Go to" tech at Alumalina and never shirked a task.

And THANK YOU GARY.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #1082
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Like Tom so beautifully wrote, my fine friend Gary made our trailering days together a sheer joy. Gary and Linda wore a smile for everybody who crossed their path and Gary would always find a way to use that introduction as a means to share his experience and vast skills to help solve whatever unresolved issue(s) that new acquaintance’s trailer exhibited. Gary’s generosity of spirit is rarely encountered in this life and I salute him like he did so many others who served. My feelings of loss this week are greater than I can capture in words.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:43 AM   #1083
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Never had the opportunity to meet Gary personally but was able to soak up so much of his knowledge and "how tos". Our hearts are saddened with his passing and we pray that our Lord will hold and comfort his wife Linda, those precious grand kids and family during this time.
Thank you for sharing and I think it's a great idea of retiring his S/O #1
Rockwell S/O #12
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:06 AM   #1084
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thank you for the wonderful write up about Gary. So very, very sorry to hear that he has passed away. We had the pleasure of meeting him at Alumalina several years ago. He was a great guy and will be missed.

Thanks again for your nice tribute.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:07 AM   #1085
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Lady's Island , South Carolina
Gary would mysteriously appear at many of our Carolina rallies, always friendly, helpful and providing much sound advice.
I had been working on going up to his place for a few days of workin’ on stuff and relaxing. Alas it will not happen.
I will miss him.
Concur with retiring 001.
booma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:28 AM   #1086
IrishMillie

2019 Basecamp
1977 24' Argosy 24
Fruitland Park , Florida
Rip

I met Gary and Linda at my first Alumilina and send condolences to her and the the rest of his family and friends. He was such a nice man. May he rest in peace.
Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:42 AM   #1087
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Thanks for the information about his passing and prayers to his family. He was truly a great guy as we first met him at a Alumalina a couple of years ago talking about his washing machine fire pit, quite the thing..

John and Wilda Covault
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #1088
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Stanton , Michigan
Here's to Gary. Wish we had the opportunity to know him.
God Speed Gary.
Silver.Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #1089
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Thanks for sharing this post. I was attending Boondocking rally in Camden South Carolina last fall at a members farm. This was my first time attending that rally so I didn’t know anyone and I was talking with somebody and he kept going in to great detail about bearings and brakes. He offered to take me to his trailer, pulled out his toolbox in the back of his truck and was showing me everything I needed to know about Dexter bearings. He was very patient and a great teacher to someone who knew nothing.

I said your name is Gary right? Are you and Gary who is “somewhere in South Carolina?” I’m originally from South Carolina so that always stuck in my mind when I would read his posts. I thanked him for all his posts cause I always learned a lot from him, and I always saw him out there, offering his help to anyone on the Forums.

I’m sorry to hear he passed and extend my condolences to his wife and extended family. Although I only met him once, he was someone you don’t forget.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 05:07 PM   #1090
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
My Gary story

I first met Gary here on these forums about 10 or 12 years ago. We are both from SC, and both drive manual transmission Dodge trucks. Gary came from the clutch industry, so the manual tranny caught his attention. I have a Gary clutch in my truck now.

We chatted often on the forums, then had the pleasure of meeting him and Linda at a rally in Myrtle Beach, SC soon afterwards. He was cooking in a cardboard box oven he had made. Yep....cardboard.

And sipping Rebel Yell, a whiskey I thought to be out of place for a guy originally from Ohio. Non the less, we had an instant connection, like a long-lost brother.

Susan and I visited with Linda and Gary at their home in Hartsville, SC several times. His Airstream was parked under a pavilion in the lower part of his yard, he called it Camp Hickory. Always a campfire, and always a sip of whatever was handy.

He and Linda became fixtures at Alumalina. Linda worked the food lines; Gary worked the trailer lines. Both were right at home, helping fellow Airstreamers. Never too tired or too busy to help. Always available.

One afternoon a couple years back at Alumalina, I found new big heavy-duty hooks on the hitch chains on my trailer. The ones I had (original to the trailer) were small and did not suit Gary, so he had replaced them. He said they looked more like something on a horse collar.

It was Gary, looking out for me.

Gary and I spoke often on the phone. In fact, I called him just a few weeks ago as Susan and I passed through Hartsville on our annual trek to Myrtle Beach. He said all was well.

He was definitely technically oriented, and a perfectionist as well. Might be why we connected so well.

So, next opportunity, raise a glass of Rebel Yell if you have some, or a glass of anything else you might have. Gary would approve.

Here's to a great friend. A brother.

Missed, but never forgotten.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:39 PM   #1091
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Here you go. Proud owner since 2007 . Birthday is 13 Dec 01 but registered as an 02. We always get the question as well: “I didn’t know Airstream made slides!”” Can I have a peek?” Taken at Picacho Peak SP back in March.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jsamuel8SO.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	438474  
jsamuel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 04:57 AM   #1092
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Welcome Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamuel8 View Post
Here you go. Proud owner since 2007 . Birthday is 13 Dec 01 but registered as an 02. We always get the question as well: “I didn’t know Airstream made slides!”” Can I have a peek?” Taken at Picacho Peak SP back in March.
Welcome Aboard! We're glad to have you with us!

We get that same question and then we'll share the history of Airstream Slide Outs...well cause they asked. The S/O's truly are gems just like your beauty. It looks brand new! I reoriented the photo so folks wouldn't have to look at it sideways, lol. The forum photo interface sometimes reorients the perspective from your source. Editing the photo at the source like a slight resize etc... before posting here seems to overcome the issue.

Ordinarily I'd just turn this over to Gary GCinSC2 and he'd assign you a S/OS #, but we lost him 2 months ago. I've been the keeper of the records so to speak and I'll keep that tradition going.

jsamuel8 of Arizona - 2002 30' Classic S/O = S/OS #127

We're currently on a road trip over the next week and I'll post a fresh member list as time permits.

Again we're glad you're with us!

Great adventures!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #1093
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
My neighbor here at NTAC found a 2006 30' Classic slide out for sale in Sarasota, FL posted on Facebook marketplace by Genie. Anybody familiar with this unit? Neighbor has sent a message to the poster but not yet received a reply. Would appreciate knowing more about this unit. Asking $79,900 with lots of upgrades from original. Also would like to know if anyone in that area is an inspector who could look at it for my neighbor.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:59 PM   #1094
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Updated Member List

Back from our adventure down to South Carolina. Warmer weather for us down there and an awesome visit with family and friends in VA, NC, and SC. Winterized the trailer on Thursday and no worries now with colder weather creeping in on us and the future for that frozen white precipitation.

Found I made an error in posting S/OS numbers with jsamuel8. They already have a S/OS #083 issued awhile back. But I did update the list to include:

S/OS #126 - davidbrandon - David and Anna from TX - 2007 Classic 30' S/O

S/OS #083 - jsamuel8 - from SD - 2002 Classic 30' S/O

Glad we found that and cleared it up. Here's our most current list of members and our Trailer Slide-Out Model counts.

Tom - S/OS #025

Name:	Slide-Out Member List Pg 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	438887 Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide-Out Member List Pg 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	438888 Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideModelNumbers.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	438889
- Live Free or Die -
Old 01-13-2024, 03:29 PM   #1095
Hozho

2007 30' Classic S/O
LANGLEY , WA
Would anyone have an electrical diagram of a 2007 Airstream Classic w/Slide of course? I seem to be having an issue with the GFCI portion of my electrical. I've replaced the breaker but still, as soon as I flip it on it shuts down everything else. I suspect that the electrical layout is pretty much the same in all Airstreams but I figured I'd ask here first due to the slide option. Any thoughts in troubleshooting are also appreciated.
Thanks
lmaubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:36 AM   #1096
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaubry View Post
Would anyone have an electrical diagram of a 2007 Airstream Classic w/Slide of course? I seem to be having an issue with the GFCI portion of my electrical. I've replaced the breaker but still, as soon as I flip it on it shuts down everything else. I suspect that the electrical layout is pretty much the same in all Airstreams but I figured I'd ask here first due to the slide option. Any thoughts in troubleshooting are also appreciated.
Thanks
I looked through my archive of stuff and didn't find the detailed document. Gary had one but he's not here. I know that he got his simply with a phone call to AirStream Customer Service. They emailed the schematic to him via pdf. We used his docs to troubleshoot an issue with a charge line for the 7way connector.

With that said, the Owners manual actually has a lot of information in section G (Electrical). Circuit 5 is the GFI and services: Galley, Lavatory, Ext Outlet, Dinette, Lounge. You can download a copy from Airstream: https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/year/2007/
- Live Free or Die -
Old 01-14-2024, 05:13 PM   #1097
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaubry View Post
Thanks
Found it in my phone...the schematic that is. I was looking on the PC and I had it archived away on the phone. Anyhow I've included it here for anyone who wants a copy. 2007 Classic 30SO Electrical Schematics.pdf

Tom - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 01-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #1098

san Francisco , California
Matt's 2003 Safari SO

Hey there, this is Matt from Northern California. I have a 2003 28' Safari SO. Love it....Nice to meet others here......
mattyp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:16 PM   #1099
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp1 View Post
Hey there, this is Matt from Northern California. I have a 2003 28' Safari SO. Love it....Nice to meet others here......
Hi Matt!

Welcome from New Hampshire! Way over in that cold, wet and snowy New England. Actually we're located on the New Hampshire seacoast, pretty mild day today though we saw about 35.

Congratulations on the Safari S/O very neat stuff! We'll set you up with a S/OS # so you can officially "SLIDE" into the group...lol. Very informal group of owners here...all for fun, no rules, dues etc...just own a S/O.

We've owned ours almost 8 years now. Doesn't seem like it...feels like we're still new at this. It's been a really fun adventure. Heading out west in March for a visit to the Palm Springs area. This will be one of our longest trips. We can't wait for winter to "SLIDE" on by so we'll be closer to getting on the road.

From "Your Control Panel" edit your "User Profile Details" you can add your trailer to your avatar. That way everyone will know you've got an 2003 Safari S/O. Pictures of your rig are always welcome. It's nice to see other units.

Seeing how this is the Official Slide-Out Society, now the official S/OS ### welcome! Our next number up is S/OS #127 and we'll add you to our list like that.

S/OS #127 Matt CA 2003 28' Safari S/O

Feel free to add it to your signature line etc...business cards whatever you'd like to embellish with your very rare and prized Slide-Out Society Official Membership Number.

Interesting to note you'll have the 6th 2003 28' Safari S/O in our group. Airstream provided me with their production numbers for S/O's back in Sep 2017. They didn't list any 2003's Safari's in their info. After asking about it, turns out that things got a little sideways for them in tracking with the model year cross-overs. So no, your trailer is not a forgery. It's a real genuine thing to be proud owners of...lol.

Glad your with us! Feel free to post questions or tips of your own here or throughout the forum. There's lots of great knowledge in the community and folks are more than willing to share and help out when they can.

Safe travels! Remember, Stabilizers down before Slide-Out!

Tom - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 01-24-2024, 07:57 PM   #1100
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Rebuilding Dinette Benches

The second owner of our trailer, sometime in 2014/2015, recovered the dinette and sofa in leather. At least the contact areas were leather. Years ago we replaced the sofa with recliners. Now the vinyl part of the dinette upholstery is and has been, for the last year or so, disintegrating.

We have undertaken to recover the dinette. After a great deal of thought and discussion, we decided to veneer the base below the seat with oak, and Missy picked fabric, one style for the seat and back cushion and another for the front and rear of the seat back. After watching a lot of YouTube videos, mostly from the makers of the Sail-Rite sewing machine, she has done a marvelous job of the upholstery.

We have had a hard time distinguishing how it was originally done from how it was reupholstered. A remaining question is about some snaps on the spring frame under the seat cushion. We would appreciate anyone with a similar trailer (early 2000's Classic 30 slideout) describing how the springs are installed, i.e. coil springs at the front or back which is the same question as are the snaps in the back or the front? We have settled on the springs in the back and the snaps in the front on the bottom side of the frame, assuming that a flap from the cushion goes around and under the front of the frame to the snaps.

Here's an in work shot showing the seat cushion and the fabric for the seat back cover. I made pseudo-raised panel drawer fronts for the storage drawers in the seat bases. One is shown on the seat cushion. The base is yet to be veneered and all wood remains to be finished.

Name:	Forward Dinette Seat in Work.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	440520
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote