Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #673
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyk View Post
Can we still join? 2001 classic so. Newbies.

candyk,

Greetings from stormy tonight SC hope clear skies over your head.

We do have room for you, Tom keeps the file, I Thump the Hickory Stick and candyk gets S/OS#103

Remember you're an official Slider so if questions have you answers we try. Post 'em and you have a good chance of at least sympathy. JK lot's of experience available.

Regards,

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #674
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Salina , Kansas
Does it count if we add slide-out to our 1976 International?

HabaNaHaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #675
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Well that’s a question that’s never come up for sure.

Off the top I’d say if you build it and post pics you might have a chance of membership. We have sliders getting together this oct and a good chance to ponder.

No matter what it’s a challenge and not sure I’ve ever know of a home built slide.

Good luck.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #676

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabaNaHaba View Post
Does it count if we add slide-out to our 1976 International?
That's some uncharted territory. I can tell you that the slide out unit puts a lot of torque on the trailer and Airstream did reinforce the floors of their slide out units to compensate for the weight of the slide. Those slide outs even had different insulation in the floors than the non slide units to compensate for a lack of open space under the floors. According to what I was told during the factory tour, the slides were using an aluminum foil backed batting to maximize the R value of the fiberglass due to the additional supports within the floor.

Jack.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #677
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Slide-Out Society - Updated Member List

Very cool stuff adding a Slide to your non-slide unit...

We're finally getting those longer and warmer days here in NH now...just a couple weeks to our first camping of the 2019 season!

I've been slacking here and didn't post an updated members list when candyk came on board. Sorry and welcome aboard candyk...and without further fluff here's our latest member list 103 strong.

Tom - S/OS #025
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideSociety.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	338097   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideModelNumbers.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	338098  

- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #678
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Does anyone know if there will be a designated parking area at Doswell for Slide-outs?
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #679
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Slide out parking at Doswell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAZRK2690 View Post
Does anyone know if there will be a designated parking area at Doswell for Slide-outs?
Doubtful. Someone would have had to request it months ago, request would require approval by the rally committee. Due to staggered parking dates, very difficult to park individual units into specific parking areas. Note that caravans must arrive together to be parked together. Vintage rigs park together, all others in general, handicapped, VIP.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #680
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
Doubtful. Someone would have had to request it months ago, request would require approval by the rally committee. Due to staggered parking dates, very difficult to park individual units into specific parking areas. Note that caravans must arrive together to be parked together. Vintage rigs park together, all others in general, handicapped, VIP.
JW is correct, no special parking for slideouts, it would be a logistical nightmare. There will be over 700 rigs to park in just a few days.

On the bright side, part of the fun will be wandering around the grounds, finding and connecting with slideout owners. There will likely be many there, usually in the 34's.

Perhaps you set up a slide owners happy hour one afternoon. Enjoy.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #681

2007 30' Classic S/O
Littleton , Colorado
Slide Out registration request

Hello. We have a 2007 Classic 30’ Limited and would like to register with the group.
Scott & Jan Trumpeter
Florissant Colorado
WBCCI #9009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5FC9458-A7B7-4BD0-879C-AB9DB11D3F25.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	339324   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A7F5681-85BA-430C-AE6A-C2C243FD38AC.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	339325  

ScooterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 AM   #682
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Slide-Out Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMan View Post
Hello. We have a 2007 Classic 30’ Limited and would like to register with the group.
Scott & Jan Trumpeter
Florissant Colorado
WBCCI #9009
Hello Scott & Jan!

Welcome to the forum! Very nice rig you've got there, congratulations!

It'll be just a moment until Gary S/OS #001 comes sliding on in with a S/OS # for you...

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #683
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMan View Post
Scott & Jan Trumpeter
Florissant Colorado
WBCCI #9009
Scott & Jan,

You folks have exceptional taste in your S/O model choice. I know this guy in SC that has the exact same model, who'd have guessed that one!

And also a welcome to Airforums too boot.

Stremn (Tom) said them's good people, works for me so with the customary thump of the Hickory staff and yes folks I DO have a Hickory staff from my BSA days Scott & Jan your are officially S/OS#104

Have you had your's since new, or a recent purchase?

You found the Slide Out Society and we're glad you did.

Gary

And yes folks, if I remember it I'll bring the Hickory staff to Alumaslider II this Oct.
S/OS #001
Old 04-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #684

2007 30' Classic S/O
Littleton , Colorado
Thank you for S/SO #104.
We purchased it new in Los Banos (The Bathrooms), CA.
On a trip to Yosemite, we saw it on the dealer lot from the highway. Stopped in and bought it. Since we had no tow vehicle, it stayed there for 6 months till we purchased a truck and waited for Spring to go fetch it. Arrived home in Colorado to a fresh snow and towed it up our tree lined 1.25 mile dirt road.
Best Regards,
Scott & Jan Trumpeter
S/SO #104
ScooterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #685
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
If your Slide-Out won’t put out…..try alcohol

I had this problem. It happened when I was storing my trailer in the driveway. One day, I decided it was time to do some cleaning. As I normally do, whenever I clean the AS, I put out the slide.

But, This time, It was dead.

I have had a dead slide before, but I always had a pretty good idea why. I may have let the battery go too long, or I forgot to reel-in the locking wings.

When I let the battery go too long, the slide will make a sort of death grown, at the same time the switch makes a click sound. But this time, It was dead in an odd way. There was nothing. Not even the un-ceremonial dimming of the lights, like in the movies when they fire up old sparky at San Quentin. This time, it just did nothing…but click.

Also, I just charged the batteries, so I was fairly certain this time I had a bigger problem.

I figured that I had a blown fuse, or a circuit breaker popped. So, that was the first thing I checked. There is a 12-volt breaker for the slide in my unit, but that was not the problem. The next thing I checked was the control unit that the switch operates. It has its own fuse, again not the problem.

I started to dig deeper. I looked suspiciously at the plastic switch that operates the control unit and the locking wings. I really figured it was one or both switches that had gone south. But after tearing into them, it became painfully clear this problem was not going to be that simple.

All I could think of was the control unit itself had gone bad, or the motor was shot. So, I decided to do a test. I thought If I could get power to the motor, and the motor worked, I could rule out a bad motor.
So, that’s what I did. I applied voltage directly to the motor and it sprang to life.

"Now I know what the problem is"…..
Or, so I thought.

I went on eBay and ordered the first control unit I could find that was a match for the “bad” one in my rig. A few days later I slapped that new puppy in and expected all my problems to be behind me.

Despair, heartache, my hopes, and dreams where once again tossed to the curb. Still no happy ending.

I was very disappointed by this time, and a little tired. So, I did what I always do when I’m disappointed and tired…

I drank…

Alcohol.

And sometime after my third or sixth Martini, It occurred to me that the locking wings have a way of turning off the slide motor when they are operated. That gave me an idea, maybe that’s the problem.

The next day, sometime in the afternoon…I figured it couldn’t hurt to take a look at the jack-screws that operate the locking wings. As I looked into the pocket that forms the wart on the dinette wall, I could see the problem.

Way down in the dark recesses, of the wall-wart cavity, is a very small micro-switch that detects the limits of the jack-screw. The wires connected to that switch had gotten so corroded they had fallen off the switch.

To test my theory, I jumped the wires together and, like magic, Bob’s your uncle.

So, if you ever find your slide won’t slide…
Have a drink…
And, when you sober up, Bob may be your uncle…
Or, something like that.
SilverBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #686
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Cogent. Logical. I don’t have slides but your problem solving skills are transferable.

SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote