Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Thanks, Bluto,
I let my sarcasm get in the way again. Sorry. That's exactly what I am saying. I've been around and working on RVs since I was 12 years old and they are always going to need to be worked on.
Working on anything, whether it's an RV, house, car, motorcycle, or bicycle, from the standpoint of maintenance is to be expected. Everyone knows that. But, this isn't a maintenance issue. It's not something that recently happened. It's been this way ever since we got the unit 4 months ago. It's nothing more than poor design. And, the funny thing is when you explain what is happening to a dealership's service personnel they look at you like .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'm just saying, let's concentrate getting wound up on the big stuff for which there is no excuse...like floor rot on newer units.
So, do you think maybe water from a leaking shower might cause such a thing?

Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHedz View Post
I will give this a try. Hopefully, I can find some kind of material at Lowe's or Home Depot. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

Have you had a chance to look for a solution?

I was thinking that maybe a self stick vinyl strip might work. Like one of those they sell in the plumbing section to put around tubs for home repairs. The type I'm thinking of comes on a roll and has a crease along it's length so you can stick on side to the wall and the other to the tub surface.
I know that is not the way you need to use it, but maybe you could stick one side to the bottom of the clear plastic piece on the bottom of your shower door fold it over and stick the other side of the vinyl strip to the other side of the clear strip on the shower door to extend it so water won't come out on the floor thru the opening.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I think you are describing a different type of shower from the one in the Classic 31. There is no spongy part or wood involved.

Regards,

Ken
A different shower? AS might change what they put on the walls, but from what I've seen on the assembly line, the material is the same, fiberboard spongy walls, covered in that particular models laminate. Spongy wood is a reference to the fiberboard wall that is right beneath the shower door.

I'd like to see a picture.

Cheers,

yakman
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
A different shower? AS might change what they put on the walls, but from what I've seen on the assembly line, the material is the same, fiberboard spongy walls, covered in that particular models laminate. Spongy wood is a reference to the fiberboard wall that is right beneath the shower door.

I'd like to see a picture.

Cheers,

yakman
I would like to show you a picture of ours. however it is in storage. I will take one next time I have a reason to go down there.

Here are a couple picture I swiped from the internet. They don't match ours exactly, but give you an idea.

You can see that the front of the molded fiberglass meets the laminate flooring with no intervening wood. On ours, there is a small hickory quarter round molding to hide the seam between the fiberglass and laminate flooring. (our counter top is lighter also and door frame is a dark anodized) It think the photos are a 2009.

I believe this style shower is unique to the Classic, but I may be wrong.

The portion of the door frame mounted to the sill, has a semi clear flexible strip mounted in it, the strip rests
against the back of the door when it is closed and it purpose is to keep the water running down the inside of the door from coming out underneath it. In our trailer the right end of the strip was not sealed to the enclosure, so if we were slightly low on the right side, the water would leak around that end. Sealing that end solved our problem. hope this helps explain the construction some.

Regards,
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bath1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	110019   Click image for larger version

Name:	bath2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	110020  

Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #19

The interior of this 31D appears identical to ours, with the exception of our couch being covered in the same material as the dinette. Unfortunately no good shot of shower door detail. Ours also has factory solar.

Airstream Classic Limited 31D Eugene Oregon | 2010 Travel Trailer, George M Sutton RV - Inventory

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Have you had a chance to look for a solution?

I was thinking that maybe a self stick vinyl strip might work. Like one of those they sell in the plumbing section to put around tubs for home repairs. The type I'm thinking of comes on a roll and has a crease along it's length so you can stick on side to the wall and the other to the tub surface.
I know that is not the way you need to use it, but maybe you could stick one side to the bottom of the clear plastic piece on the bottom of your shower door fold it over and stick the other side of the vinyl strip to the other side of the clear strip on the shower door to extend it so water won't come out on the floor thru the opening.
I will be headed to Lowe's shortly. Should be able to let you know something later today.

Thanks for another good idea!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
The interior of this 31D appears identical to ours, with the exception of our couch being covered in the same material as the dinette. Unfortunately no good shot of shower door detail. Ours also has factory solar.

Airstream Classic Limited 31D Eugene Oregon | 2010 Travel Trailer, George M Sutton RV - Inventory

Regards,

Ken
Thanks for the photo link Ken, it looks like the shower door frame in your model sits on top of an extension of the shower base pan?

cheers,

yakman
Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Thanks for the photo link Ken, it looks like the shower door frame in your model sits on top of an extension of the shower base pan?

cheers,

yakman
That's a good way of describing it.

We have a similar shower setup in one of the bathrooms in our house. However it is ceramic tile.

In that shower, the shower door has a metal strip running along the bottom at an angle that cause any water running down the inside of the door to flow to the hinge side of the door.

I have been looking for something similar to that but smaller and lighter for the door in the trailer. What happens without something like that is: When you are through showering, and open the door to get a towel, the shower door flexes and vibrates a bit and a bunch of water runs down the inside of the door to the bathroom floor.

Right now we are taking care of that by making sure the bath mat is right against the shower base. I would like to find a more elegant solution.

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Sorry for the delay in responding. We are having some issues with the internet here at he campground.

I will try again when we get home tomorrow evening.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #24

Leaking shower

We have a classic 30' and had the same problem. I tried fixing the problem with silicone etc. and it still leaked. It is a very poor design. We fixed the problem for less than $10. We purchased an expansion curtain rod and a clear shower curtain. The curtain ( cut in half) goes below the shower door. First you have very little soap scum on the door, second, we have no leaks.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
I couldn't find a different size of material at Lowe's. But, I did pick up some of the vinyl tabe that Bluto mentioned. It didn't fill enough of the gap to stop the water, and I think if it did it might create a lip to catch the water running down the inside of the shower door, but it would divert it to the outside of the shower. Thanks anyway, Bluto.

I started thinking about what Ken mentioned. Our shower door at home is as he described. So, I'm gonna take a close look at it and see if I can come up with an idea from that.

I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Sorry bout that Eric. I really thought it might work.

Let us know what you actually end up doing with the door problem.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
1972 23' Safari
Boomhower , Texas
We have used North Dallas RV for many, many years and they are great about telling us on the phone how to fix things and where to buy parts other than through them. Talk to Randy. His number is 972-242-0404. I'm taking my '83 in next week to have them clear the dirt dobber nests out of the air conditioner. After the ladder tipped over with me while trying to get up there I decided my health was worth more than my money ($50) and I'm going to let them do it.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Sorry for leaving ya'll hangin' on the shower leak issue. But, life happens.

My wife was admitted to the hospital on Friday, 9/10, with a pulmonary embolism. She spent 6 days undergoing treatment. She is out now and getting better every day.

Somehow, during that time the shower issue was put on the back burner. And, since we won't be using the trailer for about 4 weeks I'm going to take it to the dealership in Buda, and see what they can do with it and all of the other ongoing issues.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Eric

AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 classic