Old 11-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
Remodeling the Dinette Area

We are heading up to the Airstream Factory this coming Friday to have them renovate our dinette into either a comfy sofa or two comfy lounge chairs. I know others have remodeled theirs, but I need photos to show them what we are thinking of having done. We love our 2009 FB, 27ft Classic, but absolutely HATE the Dinette area. It is so uncomfortable and knowing we plan on taking longer and longer trips, we want to be comfortable if we cannot be outside. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, does anyone else have an awning come even with the door? When raining it is impossible to keep it from rolling in. Has anyone come up with something to prevent this? This, in my mind, is a HUGE design flaw.
Kathy Benken

KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We travel in our Airstream 6-7 months a year and needed something more comfortable than the dinette/lounge arrangement. We asked the Airstream Factory Service Center if they could install the front interior components of a 30' recliner model (2010-2015) in our Airstream. They did a great job and we are sitting here now watching the football game on tv while in AZ.

Your rear dinette model is different from our front dinette model, our furnace is under the sink and our converter/charger is next to the fridge. On yours I think the furnace would have to be moved a couple of feet to allow recliner leg space on the FB model. A hatch could replace the original furnace opening on the exterior.

I don't know the difficulty of this but a member here did it himself. For your model, if the furnace can be moved, I would forgo the side table in favor of a narrow folding table, attached to the wall, between the recliners for dining. Just swivel the recliners to face each other. We extended our center table top since these photos for dining and she uses the side table for hobbies and crafts. It's a very functional living space.

So for a look at an in-process conversion that may be useful to you, here are some photos we took at Jackson Center. The technician's name was Jon and we highly recommend him, he'll do what you want and do it well.

Our total cost was about $4200 for all materials and labor, moving the furnace would be more. Not cheap but we would have been pushed into a larger trailer without it, and we love this mid-size trailer Airstream so it was money well-spent.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448852073.118772.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	119.1 KB