Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Red face I’m an ASNC (AirStream Nut Case)

OK! I admit it. I have become an official ASNC (AirStream Nut Case)!!! I’ve owned 2 Airstreams in 2 years and just have ordered my 3rd. Is that insane??? The 1st AS was a 1978 25’ Ebay special that was rough but useable. After camping a couple of times, we realized that the LCS (Little Critter Smell) was more than we could handle! Many years of mouse infestation turned out to be too much. Also, we found out the hard way that just about every water pipe in the thing had frozen and split. That led us to trade up to a 2004 25’ Safari SS. Loved the size and the ‘new AS smell’. The only problem was that the Safari SS config put the ‘not so double’ bed and a tiny bathroom across the back of the Stream. Two hefty six-footers didn’t fit very well in the narrower-than-normal queen bed and neither of us could close the bathroom door while sitting on the ‘porcelain throne’ without banging our knees. Not a problem with normal size folks but a BIG mistake for us. Makes us sound kind of stupid, eh!

SOOO we decided to “shop ‘till we dropped”. We camped at Oscar Scherer State Park below Sarasota during the Christmas holidays. We had seen the “Save Big Moola” billboards posted every 5 miles along I-75 advertising Bates RV in Dover, FL. One day we decide to de stopped by. We discovered that they had FIFTY EIGHT units on the lot from the tiny 16’ Quicksilver Bambi to the monster 34’ triple axle Classic Slide!

After climbing in and out of EVERY SINGLE ONE AT LEAST TWICE, we said that the 28’ Classis was the one for us. Bates didn’t do a lot for us on a trade so , when we got back to Cincy, we ordered a 2006 from Plapps Pro Outdoor, the closest AS dealer to us. Dwayne Plapp is a great guy to deal with, even though his AS inventory at any point in time is pretty low. He has a huge boat and outdoor gear store. He is relatively new to AS dealership and is slowly building that side of his business. We consigned our 2004 to him (literally) and ordered the 2006. (Anyone interested in a low mileage 25’ Safari, huh, huh, huh!)

This time we decided on twin beds with center aisle. No more stooping, elbowing, or crawling over one another to go to the bathroom at 3AM. Maybe the twin beds don’t seem as romantic as the queen bed but the center aisle affords the greatest amount of headroom and opens the bedroom visually.

The same center aisle design is in the bathroom. The shower is one one side, the sink and toilet are on the other. The Classic 28 is the ONLY design that has double sliding doors between bedroom and bathroom and another set of sliding doors between bathroom and kitchen. Also, the sink/toilet side of the bathroom can be built without the side wall/door which makes the space open for the full width of the AS with a large center aisle. Again, it’s very open visually. Two skylights, one in the bath and one in the kitchen, and the large center aisle front to back makes the whole interior feel gigantic. This really is a fab design! True, there is no dinette, but we gave up that feature to get the rest of the layout.

Does it sound like I'm an Airstream salesman?? Maybe I should be. I've memorized every model layout, spec and option and can quote them in my sleep!!! What a product. Maybe when I retire from my real job...

Now the waiting begins – tick, tick, tick.

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Welcome, we love the 28s too

Hi Bob and family,
Welcome to the forum. Our family loves the 28 layout with the center bath too.
There's a great thread for classic 28ers here, classic 28 by John Irwin (Pahaska) which you might enjoy as you work with your new trailer. We love our 28, and have taken at least 3 of Pahaska's ideas and used them in our 28. Good luck with your latest trailer!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHASTINGS
OK ! I admit it. I have become an official ASNC (AirStream Nut Case)!!! I’ve owned 2 Airstreams in 2 years and just have ordered my 3rd. Is that insane??? .
Seems normal to me - but then ... I have my own aluminum issues....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
_

. , .
congrats bob the 28 is a fine hut.......

you are just what the dealer folks want.....
someone who's feet are growing,
requiring new shoes every year or so....

so that is a good choice for now.......

the next level in the twofootitis treatment plan...

would likely involve a t.v. change also.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Ah - you read me well 2airishuman, but the tow vehicle came first - 2004 3/4 ton Ford F250 with very modest flames decals on the side ( hence the avatar I use ). BTW, I have matching flames for the AS ( heresy you say, decoration I say.)
Now you say your handle is 2a - irish - uman?? What's an IRISH UMAN? Oh wait - is it an obtuse yet surprisingly clever moniker involving a play on the word AIRstream!! HAR _ HAR _ HAR - I get it!!
Also, for those of you who have no clue what I was rambling about involving sliding doors and missing walls, here's the 1000 word pic.

Name:   CLASSIC 28 PLAN.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  48.4 KB

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Congrats tall people!

I think you've made a great choice. And I predict you'll be happy with this length for at least another two years ...maybe more.

If you want to omit the wall on the pissoire (pronounced pee-SWAH) I'd agree it makes sense, especially since you are both tall. You could always hang a curtain, especially if you frequently have company or there are small children running about.

I don't believe you'll miss the dinette all that much. Mine is a side dinette over the wheel well - and you can't fit 4 adults in when there's a wheel well! Lots of folks do fit a small chair in so they can sit opposite each other at the fold out table in front of the couch.

... do I hear "Anticipation... is keepin' me waiting..."

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Twin beds

Question: What's a husband good for?
Answer: Twenty minutes if you're very, Very lucky.

I think you get more storage and who knows, maybe even more romance if you've actually got to be awake to arrange a cuddle.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Well done, Bob.

We, also, have recently ordered a 28' Classic twin bed, but not having to deal with a trade-in, bought from Bates.

When do you anticipate delivery?
ITowSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Bob --- You can include us in the ASNC club. We bought an 04 CCD Bambi, an 05 25' Classic and in Jan took delivery on our 06 30' Classic. I don't think there's a cure!!!! By the way the 30' Classic has 2 sliding doors also. The difference is your closets are inclosed when the doors are closed making for a larger bath and dressing area. ----- Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 classic