Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
Hail, I lucked out

Arrived home, with the AS, 30 minutes AFTER a hailstorm which took out the house roof, siding, window trim and slider door.
Now, do I commend the missus for convincing me to stop at cracker barrel, delaying our arrival home????
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,089
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle! Yes - yes you do!

Hope no one is hurt and your insurance treats you right. Good luck!
__________________

SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
No one hurt that I know of. It was up to 2" diameter hail. That would hurt pretty badly.
Starting the insurance game on Friday, but front loading with two Public Adjuster opinions. We'll see.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Master of Universe
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,427
Definitely praise your wife every day for something, anything or just because she is who she is and don't forget to tell her she is beautiful too.

Can you imagine if those storms including tornados had hit Jackson Center and demolished the new factory, the old factory and all the trailers sitting outside? I think there was a tornado watch in that county and tornados were around Dayton, just down the road. Good luck with insurance (when the adjusters are trying to rush through when there is widespread damage, they will lowball you). Fight back.
__________________
Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,664
Blog Entries: 1
I also lucked out w/hail. Live about 4 miles from dznf0g, had hail about large marble size [hail lasted for 20 min] heavy rain, no damage to AS or house but AS, driveway, yard covered w/shredded leaves & maple seeds.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
I feel even luckier than the fact that the AS and truck wasn't home. Just 1/4 (or less) to the south, large trees uprooted, broken with some on the houses. My trees held tight, although shredded. One shrubby ornamental tree broke at the ground and will have to be dug out.
If the insurance adjuster wants a fight...I know the game, and I am now retired with plenty of time and patience to sweat him down.
Its not like I have holes in the house.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I also lucked out w/hail. Live about 4 miles from dznf0g, had hail about large marble size [hail lasted for 20 min] heavy rain, no damage to AS or house but AS, driveway, yard covered w/shredded leaves & maple seeds.
I was driving down by your place today on the way to amerigas to get the AS bottle filled and recertified. I was wondering if your trailer was ok, but I thought you would have had it inside.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Definitely praise your wife every day for something, anything or just because she is who she is and don't forget to tell her she is beautiful too.

Can you imagine if those storms including tornados had hit Jackson Center and demolished the new factory, the old factory and all the trailers sitting outside? I think there was a tornado watch in that county and tornados were around Dayton, just down the road. Good luck with insurance (when the adjusters are trying to rush through when there is widespread damage, they will lowball you). Fight back.
Ok, your first paragraph is a bit over the top......jus kiddin'. But I cant let her head get too big.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Master of Universe
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,427
Here’s my insurance story—after a major hailstorm hit Denver in 1990, our SUV was pretty badly dented. Ironically we bought it hail damaged in ‘86, though the damage had been fixed and was invisible. We did get a big discount though. There were scores of people packed in a large room with adjusters from several states brought in. They were in a hurry and were low balling people. Waving a check in people’s faces works. I had gotten a detailed estimate from a body shop and brought it. I was offered half what the estimate said. I said “no” and was told that was all they could do. I started talking louder and louder and people started looking at us as I said things like “ripping us off”, “low balling” and “insurance commission”. The adjuster quickly got a supervisor who wanted to move me away from everyone, but I wouldn’t move. I got what I asked for. The SUV was one of those clunky looking Isuzu Troopers and was so high few people could see it, so I never got the roof fixed, got most but not all of the rest fixed. I used the $2,000 I had left over to put a down payment on a new pickup. The Trooper was sold with 115,000 miles, went just about anywhere and I had about $400 in repairs over nine years. I kept hoping for more hailstorms, but we left the front range before a major one hit again.

Rich, I don’t think you can have half your roof fixed unless you invest in those pretty blue tarps. I suggest meeting with an adjuster while fully caffeinated. Even if you are not with others in a big room, the longer you keep the adjuster tied up (probably not literally) the more anxious he will be to get to the next place and may soften to get rid of you.

Yes, don’t let your wife’s beautiful head get too big. We just celebrated 33 years together and I tell Barb she looks just like she did when we met when she was 36. She thinks my vision is failing, but still likes to hear it. And glad to hear your house while messed up, is standing and can be fixed, your truck and trailer are fine, but how was the meal at Cracker Barrel?
__________________
Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,115
Wow. That's too bad about all the damage to your house. But it may turn out costing no more than if it had happened to your airstream while on the road.

Good luck on the insurance claim. Hope the weather clears up for you.
.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,315
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Here’s my insurance story—after a major hailstorm hit Denver in 1990, our SUV was pretty badly dented. Ironically we bought it hail damaged in ‘86, though the damage had been fixed and was invisible. We did get a big discount though. There were scores of people packed in a large room with adjusters from several states brought in. They were in a hurry and were low balling people. Waving a check in people’s faces works. I had gotten a detailed estimate from a body shop and brought it. I was offered half what the estimate said. I said “no” and was told that was all they could do. I started talking louder and louder and people started looking at us as I said things like “ripping us off”, “low balling” and “insurance commission”. The adjuster quickly got a supervisor who wanted to move me away from everyone, but I wouldn’t move. I got what I asked for. The SUV was one of those clunky looking Isuzu Troopers and was so high few people could see it, so I never got the roof fixed, got most but not all of the rest fixed. I used the $2,000 I had left over to put a down payment on a new pickup. The Trooper was sold with 115,000 miles, went just about anywhere and I had about $400 in repairs over nine years. I kept hoping for more hailstorms, but we left the front range before a major one hit again.

Rich, I don’t think you can have half your roof fixed unless you invest in those pretty blue tarps. I suggest meeting with an adjuster while fully caffeinated. Even if you are not with others in a big room, the longer you keep the adjuster tied up (probably not literally) the more anxious he will be to get to the next place and may soften to get rid of you.

Yes, don’t let your wife’s beautiful head get too big. We just celebrated 33 years together and I tell Barb she looks just like she did when we met when she was 36. She thinks my vision is failing, but still likes to hear it. And glad to hear your house while messed up, is standing and can be fixed, your truck and trailer are fine, but how was the meal at Cracker Barrel?
Grandma's Sampler was delicious, as always.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,223
Hail, I lucked out

Yup. We now have TWO Cracker Barrel stores near us in Southern California. One in Victorville and the other is in Rialto.

We only waited 10 years for them to build the one in Victorville and 2 hours and 45 minutes to get in there on opening night. DW insisted on going on opening day...

There is another near Sacramento as well. Hopefully more coming.

If you like decent southern style food they are the go-to chain.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dept.
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I feel even luckier than the fact that the AS and truck wasn't home. Just 1/4 (or less) to the south, large trees uprooted, broken with some on the houses. My trees held tight, although shredded. One shrubby ornamental tree broke at the ground and will have to be dug out.
If the insurance adjuster wants a fight...I know the game, and I am now retired with plenty of time and patience to sweat him down.
Its not like I have holes in the house.
Sorry for the damage, Rich, but glad the AS/TV escaped.

This may be preaching to the choir, but I recommend doing all correspondence with the insurance company via email, with CC's to all associated parties [mortgage banks/insurance agents/etc]. Make sure your computer files are backed up regularly, and keep hard copies of important messages. You can always send copies via Certified Mail -- Return Receipt Requested -- if push comes to shove!



We went through a big insurance dance when we got rear-ended a few years ago. Having the correspondence in writing helped a lot.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

 
2017 20' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 131
Images: 1
Noticed in our apartment parking lot that about half the cars even the newer nicer ones have hail damage on the trunk lids and hoods. I am guessing that many folks decide to use the insurance check to offset the trade in value loss when they buy their next car rather than getting it fixed. Our insurance agent assured me they do cover hail damage in full (Allstate). We garage one car, and I drive my truck to a nearby multi story parking garage when hail is predicted.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 AM   #15
2019 30' International
 
2019 30' International
Bolingbrook , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 19
I live about 4 miles from the AS dealer, about 8 miles from dznf0g. About 2 weeks decided to store our AS and TV in a farmer's morton building about 3 miles from dznf0g. Timing is everything!
wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,880
Images: 1
In 1993 we stopped at JC with a Fridge not working emergency...they treated us promptly, installed a new fridge and had us back on the road in a day, in spite of the fact that they had a 6 month backlog fixing 'Bismarks'🥴

Good Luck with the HO claims.

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know."
W. H. Auden


"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus


"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ok, your first paragraph is a bit over the top......jus kiddin'. But I cant let her head get too big.
Marriage is a dance. Do you want a lot of close contact dancing or to have a partner dance away from you most of the time?
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Hittenstiehl's Avatar
 
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,077
Images: 9
It's neat that you all live so close to each other and know each other on the forums.
__________________

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Wabbiteer's Avatar
 
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,987
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 2
In todays society there are low/no mechanisms in place to teach & reward ESP so it is up to you, and umn, I read somewhere -=-=- Diamonds are a girls best friend -=-=- so maybe call it an investment, self-insurance, an offering, but I'd sure be shopping for a big honking diamond!

(Even if 10% of theoretical cost saving, now don't forget include time, frustration and towed miles...)



Sorry about the roof/siding/door...
__________________
The days are short and the night is long and the stars go tumbling by.. . ~Airstream~
Wabbiteer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 514
Take her to her favorite restaurant or even a different upscale restaurant that you have never been to - but make it a surprise - it will definitely be memorable for both of you. I did this for my husbands birthday - the surprise is half the fun!
__________________

bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lucked out During the FREEZE Foiled Again Winter Living 19 05-01-2015 06:16 AM
Hail, Hail and we're still here GreggH Off Topic Forum 10 04-09-2006 06:48 PM
Are Those RV Covers Any Protection at All Against Hail Damage ?? MileHigh Off Topic Forum 3 07-16-2004 10:36 PM
Hail Damaged Excella 35...... longhauler 1987 - 1989 Excella 17 07-28-2003 08:38 AM
Hail Damage jcanavera Our Community 4 03-30-2002 09:24 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×