Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
We were in St Louis two weeks ago (back again this week) at the Jellystone campground. Went to bed to clear skies and woke up to the sound of what sounded like 50 people hitting the Airstream with baseball bats. And they were ANGRY. Lasted only about 2 minutes.

We thought we had gotten away with no damage from the penny sized hail but washed the Airstream a week later and found damage on both end caps.

Not looking forward to this repair at all. Will take it back to our dealer, Airstream of Scottsdale when our trips this summer are over. Insurance already notified.

UGH.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You may delay a bit on the repair. Are you going anywhere very hot this summer? Some say, including the iconic Inland Andy, that minor hail pocks will stretch out in extreme sun.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
public adjuster

After Hurricane Ike flooded/destroyed our home in Galveston , we hired a public adjuster to represent us in the claim process. Glad we did , got a much better settlement than the insurance co. adjuster. Was an involved lengthy process.
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
After Hurricane Ike flooded/destroyed our home in Galveston , we hired a public adjuster to represent us in the claim process. Glad we did , got a much better settlement than the insurance co. adjuster. Was an involved lengthy process.
I may be doing that as well. I have some "questions " for the insurance company and am not hearing the "correct " answers. Its a "process " .

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good suggestion LaFitte. After Super Storm Sandy various family members benefited greatly from using a public adjuster.

Also . . . repeating earlier advice to document all communication with everyone in emails, and to make sure your computer backup systems preserve everything, in case push comes to shove with the various corporate entities involved.

Good luck, Rich.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You may delay a bit on the repair. Are you going anywhere very hot this summer? Some say, including the iconic Inland Andy, that minor hail pocks will stretch out in extreme sun.
It is true if the marks are minor, golfball sized keylors are forever.
PICTURES?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I am currently dealing with an insurance company because someone rear ended our FJ Cruiser a few days ago. Responsibility is cut and dried, the perp's insurance company has accepted liability and we have an ok for repairs and frame inspection plus a rental SUV. The damage is pretty minor as these things go, but a little dent here and there and pretty soon we have a $2,700 estimate. The perp's car is probably totaled—a 2007 Honda Civic is shaped like a wedge and slides under our trailer hitch and then rolls up the hood half way to the windshield, happily destroying components and unseating the engine. i have requested a payment for diminution of value because now when someone buys your car, they check places like Car Fax and if there has been any accident, it kills sales. I calculated $2,409-2,425 diminution and said I'd settle for $2,400. Now waiting. We have no injuries but are watching for that.

This is a small claim, but still confusing to most people. Even though I have experience in dealing with this stuff, I have spent more than six hours so far getting info, talking to lots of people, getting an estimate, working the insurance adjusters and so on.

Rich, your situation is more complicated. You may have a hail deductible too. I last dealt with an insurance claim on a house more than a dozen years ago and found the insurance company to be very frustrating and willing to stonewall. My client was unwilling to run up massive legal costs, so we had to accept less than was fair. I can't blame the client for that, but the insurer counts on that. My advice to everyone, is go to law school before you have a claim and drive the adjusters crazy. Though not all that zen-like, there is some fun imagining the claims adjuster frothing at the mouth. Otherwise, consider hiring someone to work the claim for you—there's a lot of money at stake for you and an investment in expertise may well pay off.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I am currently dealing with an insurance company because someone rear ended our FJ Cruiser a few days ago. Responsibility is cut and dried, the perp's insurance company has accepted liability and we have an ok for repairs and frame inspection plus a rental SUV. The damage is pretty minor as these things go, but a little dent here and there and pretty soon we have a $2,700 estimate. The perp's car is probably totaled—a 2007 Honda Civic is shaped like a wedge and slides under our trailer hitch and then rolls up the hood half way to the windshield, happily destroying components and unseating the engine. i have requested a payment for diminution of value because now when someone buys your car, they check places like Car Fax and if there has been any accident, it kills sales. I calculated $2,409-2,425 diminution and said I'd settle for $2,400. Now waiting. We have no injuries but are watching for that.

This is a small claim, but still confusing to most people. Even though I have experience in dealing with this stuff, I have spent more than six hours so far getting info, talking to lots of people, getting an estimate, working the insurance adjusters and so on.

Rich, your situation is more complicated. You may have a hail deductible too. I last dealt with an insurance claim on a house more than a dozen years ago and found the insurance company to be very frustrating and willing to stonewall. My client was unwilling to run up massive legal costs, so we had to accept less than was fair. I can't blame the client for that, but the insurer counts on that. My advice to everyone, is go to law school before you have a claim and drive the adjusters crazy. Though not all that zen-like, there is some fun imagining the claims adjuster frothing at the mouth. Otherwise, consider hiring someone to work the claim for you—there's a lot of money at stake for you and an investment in expertise may well pay off.
Thanks Gene,
I do have a 1k hail/wind deductible and that's fine. The only issue to squabble over right now is the approval for only 2 sides of the house siding. Its aluminum and cant be matched. I am working that issue now and will employ a public adjuster, if needed. Other than that, the ins co adjuster was very thorough and fair. New slider door which is high end pella @ $6400, refinish deck, new window trim on 2 sides (pella) , 2 pella screens, tear off roof replacement. The siding is a quandary. They will pay at aluminum rates, which is very high. Dont really like vinyl, but the whole neighborhood is vinyl, so in line with comps when we sell. I like hardy board (among other brands), but it has regular maintenance painting.
Looking forward at 10 to 20 years, I need low maintenance.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
As we need more maintenance, we need things with less maintenance. Hope you get your siding thing resolved. Some people use contrasting siding as a style statement.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
As we need more maintenance, we need things with less maintenance.
. . .
Hey watch it there, ol' timer, I resemble that!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

Interesting... we live in Arizona so have lots of extreme sun!

Sorry for the delay, just got back home after 7,200 miles.

Here is a picture of some of the damage... would love it if the AS “self heals” in the sun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9339.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	343323
Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I also lucked out w/hail. Live about 4 miles from dznf0g, had hail about large marble size [hail lasted for 20 min] heavy rain, no damage to AS or house but AS, driveway, yard covered w/shredded leaves & maple seeds.
I didn't luck out found out this am house, barn and machine shed roofs all have to be torn off new roof all 3, adjuster very good pays entire costs, plus AS many small dents should come out w/sun. So I still consider I lucked out as repair bill almost $40,000. AS dif. ins. will not make claim, I didn't no AS was damaged but roofing inspector pointed out.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Interesting... we live in Arizona so have lots of extreme sun!

Sorry for the delay, just got back home after 7,200 miles.

Here is a picture of some of the damage... would love it if the AS “self heals” in the sun!

Attachment 343323
Yeah, from what I understand, probably not on the curved end panels. Flat panels, maybe. The end corners are already stretched aluminum, and as such, probably wont "heal"

Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I didn't luck out found out this am house, barn and machine shed roofs all have to be torn off new roof all 3, adjuster very good pays entire costs, plus AS many small dents should come out w/sun. So I still consider I lucked out as repair bill almost $40,000. AS dif. ins. will not make claim, I didn't no AS was damaged but roofing inspector pointed out.
Not surprised. My luck was only that the both vehicles and AS were down around dwight when Oswego got hit, on our way home. Wasn't even raining there.