Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
factory new shell- 2007 Classic?

is it possible to buy a factory new 31' classic, without any interior?
anyone done this for custom fit-out?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Andy of Inland RV reports that Airstream will no longer sell shells to individuals, even through dealers, because of liability issues. Per Andy, only customizers such as his firm with established relationships with Airstream can purchase them. My understanding is that Airstream, Inc. never has sold direct to the individual, only through their dealer network.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Andy of Inland RV reports that Airstream will no longer sell shells to individuals, even through dealers, because of liability issues. Per Andy, only customizers such as his firm with established relationships with Airstream can purchase them. My understanding is that Airstream, Inc. never has sold direct to the individual, only through their dealer network.
That is correct...we also as a dealer have to go throught the commercial division to get one of these units...the labor rate goes up quite a bit because it is not made on the assembly line from what I've been told.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What has been posted is 110% correct. A shell cannont be had directly or even in most cases through a dealer.

I have been at the custom shop right next to the repair center and it's a small crew of folks making the magic happen.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
What has been posted is 110% correct. A shell cannont be had directly or even in most cases through a dealer.

I have been at the custom shop right next to the repair center and it's a small crew of folks making the magic happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
That is correct...we also as a dealer have to go throught the commercial division to get one of these units...the labor rate goes up quite a bit because it is not made on the assembly line from what I've been told.

G
Silvertwinkie and G, I understand an up charge for a custom order, but it seems they would ultimately charge less because you don't get the kitchen and bathroom and other furniture. I would think they would just pull the unit before anything goes in rather than have a custom shop build the identical unit without the interior furnishings. If they customize the interior, that's different, but I don't see what's so customized about no interior other than it doesn't have one!

At that rate, finalcutjoe would be better off buying a holdover unit on a dealer's lot in the length he wants and take all of the interior out himself and sell the individual pieces he doesn't want to use in his custom interior on e-bay.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
My thoughts exactly!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
.....At that rate, finalcutjoe would be better off buying a holdover unit on a dealer's lot in the length he wants and take all of the interior out himself and sell the individual pieces he doesn't want to use in his custom interior on e-bay.
And he would have a captive audience right here on this forum for his left over bits and pieces!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I want all of the PEX plumbing!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think the issue is simply boils down to liability. No automaker or other RV builder will give you a shell that I'm aware of either.....
Old 05-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How could selling a shell be a liability issue? If you fit it out poorly and it doesn't tow right, that would be your own fault. All they have to do is guarentee the unit tows as delivered, everything else is the owner's problem. Crying about liability is just a cop out.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I read or was told that there are building codes for RVs just like houses. If you bought a shell, built it poorly and something happened, there may be some level of liability on the company. Sure it sounds crazy, but in the lawsuit happy world, everybody wants something for nothing and litigation lawyers chase emergancy vehicles for a living. In that type of world you can understand why it's no longer done.

Back in the day Airstream use to do it, before the lawyers got out of the asylum.....
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Maybe they could start selling the "Kits" again!

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 05-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
_

. , .
sorry g...

they never actually sold kits...

just plans.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/249815-post89.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
It seems more likely, to me, that it’s simply A/S not wanting a fit-out trend developing with their product. Liability just doesn’t hold water. Even if you’re talking ‘RV building codes’, private use and ownership supersedes any of that.

It appears a semi-custom fit-out is about the most feasible thing, since I can’t get a shell. I think I would take a beating on attempting a parting out of the interior.

One of the tools that is employed in what I do for a living is HDS (high definition scanning), this is where an existing building/structure/anything is scanned with a laser, and a three-dimensional model is generated with accuracy to .0001”. I then use the HDS model to generate a fully custom interior model- complete with materials, colors, lighting, etc…
Fabrication of the custom interior components can be done in large part by going directly to CNC. Complete visualization of design to perfect fit and installation.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sounds Familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
It seems more likely, to me, that it’s simply A/S not wanting a fit-out trend developing with their product. Liability just doesn’t hold water. Even if you’re talking ‘RV building codes’, private use and ownership supersedes any of that.

It appears a semi-custom fit-out is about the most feasible thing, since I can’t get a shell. I think I would take a beating on attempting a parting out of the interior.

One of the tools that is employed in what I do for a living is HDS (high definition scanning), this is where an existing building/structure/anything is scanned with a laser, and a three-dimensional model is generated with accuracy to .0001”. I then use the HDS model to generate a fully custom interior model- complete with materials, colors, lighting, etc…
Fabrication of the custom interior components can be done in large part by going directly to CNC. Complete visualization of design to perfect fit and installation.
This is EXACTLY the technique that the Prevost upfitters use when they design an interior for the $1million + custom bus-based MoHos they produce. The shell comes in from Prevost Canada with NOTHING on the inside, not even a steering wheel (it goes back with the delivery driver).

Then the owner sits down with a team of CAD/CAM people and designs the interior and chooses materials. All this is fed to several large CNC controlled mills that cut EVERYTHING going into the shell. Both windshields are removed to get everything in, and assembly begins. As you can imagine, everything is a PERFECT fit!

Airstream would do very well to adopt this as a manufacturing technique, as would most other RV manufacturers. Fit/finish issues would all but dissapear!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
This is EXACTLY the technique that the Prevost upfitters use when they design an interior for the $1million + custom bus-based MoHos they produce. The shell comes in from Prevost Canada with NOTHING on the inside, not even a steering wheel (it goes back with the delivery driver).

Then the owner sits down with a team of CAD/CAM people and designs the interior and chooses materials. All this is fed to several large CNC controlled mills that cut EVERYTHING going into the shell. Both windshields are removed to get everything in, and assembly begins. As you can imagine, everything is a PERFECT fit!

Airstream would do very well to adopt this as a manufacturing technique, as would most other RV manufacturers. Fit/finish issues would all but dissapear!!!
i'm currently in the early stages of converting a '76 sovereign into a mobile sleeper and a/v studio using this workflow. my client was actually the one to suggest possibly getting a factory new shell....
million dollar plus, eh... maybe i should up my fee....
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Even if Airstream would sell a shell only, why would they sell it cheaper than a completed unit? Where's the profit in that?

You wouldn't expect Cadillac to sell a shell of an Escalade to the guys at West Coast Whatever on Pimp My Ride fame so they could pimp it up for one of Hollywood's elite would you? The client would have to go to a dealer, purchase the Escalade of their choice, take it to the custom shop, and eat the cost of the interior finishes and upholstery, etc. You'd just have to tell your client he/she has to do the same. I think that is reasonable.

My earlier rhetorical question about it should be cheaper to do it from the regular production line had more to do with why have a second line to run shells only for Airstream's commercial division to outfit instead of pulling one off the line before it is fitted with the traditional interior components that you find on the dealer's lot. Seems that savings would be taken by Airstream instead of bearing the cost of running a separate line to build a shell when that same shell could be built on the line and turned over to the commercial division.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Probably missed the point...

I don't intend to hijack this thread by my comment...
I have observed that the longer units of a recent manufacture are selling for a pittance compared to their smaller relatives. Wouldn't it make sense to buy a unit that is a couple of years old and demo what you don't like and keep what works?

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #19

Mill valley , California
how can I contact them? sounds perfect for my needs....
thx
K.
Kent415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 classic