Old 09-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
External Water Shut-off on FB units

Alright we investigated the lavatory cabinet and the water pump area under the wardrobe floor and we don't see any external water shut-off. The owners manual lists it three times with a warning of it's importance. We have called Airstream without a definitive answer but they did read the owners manual back to us.

Pretty soon it will be time to turn off that exterior water service for cold weather camping and we need to find or install one.

So FB owners have you found your shut-off?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ummm

I don't plan on emptying my lines - doesn't get THAT cold that long, but I'll look tonight. I think there are some near the water heater on the outside. Check there. I'm thinking they have to be at a low point so they might actually be under the belly wrap.

Paula Ford

Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks we will look there. Unfortunately it does get cold here. Maybe I'll just have to snowbird with the ladies I think.

photography
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
When you open your exterior storage bin thats under the bed you will find three valves. The two together are shut offs hot/cold and the one alone is freshwater drain. Does that help?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I will have my "tech" check it out when he gets home. Our HW heater and valves are under the lavoratory sink, (27') I see the bypass ones and the freshwater drain for pipes (?) (empties water under the trailer to the ground.) The toilet one is behind the toilet but we find no other.

Our only exterior storage is a small compartment between the enclosed batteries.

I hope we are just overlooking it.

photography
Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Twins or Queen?

I have an exterior door under the queen bed, street side at the very front of the trailer.

Paula
Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
thanx GOIN CAMPING; that info helps me on Lucy.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Beware of freezing pipes

I received the plumbing diagram from Jim Parrett in Customer Relations and he also went over to the production line and there is no exterior water shut off valve. As far as he knows Airstream has never installed an exterior water shut-off valve. I appreciate his effort, coutesy, and promptness in giving us a definitive answer as to the location of the shut off valve. He will also contact the literature department in regard to the exterior water service being listed and explained in no less than three places in the new owners manual.

Page F6
"During freezing weather this line should be drained. Shut off the valve inside the lavatory and leave the exterior valve open.
Note: On some units only the exterior water service shut off valve will be located inside the lavatory cabinet...Always check to see if the water supply has been cut to the exterior service before using the rest of the water system in freezing weather."

Page F10 The exterior water service shut off valve is located...since the exterior water service is located beyond the heated area of the trailer, the exterior valve and its supply line can be damaged if the water is not turned off in freezing temperatures. In these temperatures shut off the valve in the lavatory cabinet...the fifth valve is for the exterior water service. Always check to see if the water supply has been cut to the exterior service before using the rest of the water system in freezing weather."

Page C7 Winter traveling
CAUTION: The exterior water service line to the utility compartment is in an unheated section of the trailer and must not be used below feezing temperatures.
A water valve is provided so the water can be turned off to the line. The exterior water service shut off valve is located in the lavatory cabinet. Close the shut off valve...

Jim also told me that damage because of frozen pipes is not covered under warrantee nor the installation of the shut off valve to make the heated tanks of any utility in cold weather camping.

So guess what is on our to do list now. We will also add an access panel to get to the pump and this shut off once installed.

Makes you wonder where the literature people got their text from doesn't it? Methinks this is peculiar.

photography
Old 09-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Now you've got me thinking...

Does your unit have the outside shower? Mine does. I wonder how I drain that? Is that what you were talking about re the exterior valve? I think mine is located just outside the shower wall....

Hmmmm.

Paula Ford

Tags
2007 classic