Old 05-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Draining fresh water tank on 2007 31' Classic

I have a 2007 31' Classic. On curbside there are two petcock valves between the two tires. The front one appears to be connected to the fresh water tank. The rear one may be connected to the water lines but I'm not sure. Can someone explain what the two valves are connected to? I tried to open both to drain the fresh water tank. Water flowed for a while from the front one. Nothing from the rear. Then it stopped draining, way before it should have. I turned on the water pump and initially water came forcefully from the front valve and after a few moments a stream began from the second. I let the pump run until water flow stopped from both. The gauge inside then read empty (or close to it).
Any help in understanding what each valve connects to and the rationale for both would be appreciated. I sure wish there was a way to drain the tank without running the pump.

au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Is one of the drain hoses on the two valves between the tires white and the other red? If so they probably are low point drains. These usually are located near the galley and water heater.

Richard from MI

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I think I have the same two you are talking about. Look forward and you should see a plastic one that has a metal tab below it so the water disperses. Be careful turning as the handle part gets brittle and easy to break off! How those two metal ones work I have no idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0313.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	103167  
Julia & Bob
W/ Deedee & Boo
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The white one is probably the potable water tank and the metal petcocks are to drain the lines. Our trailer also has one near the water heater—valve is below the water heater inside and not to be confused with the 3 valves for the water heater bypass. This one drains below and is for another line. The pump will help all drain faster.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Ludington , Michigan
The two together are the low point drains for the hot water line and for the cold water line. The single drain just forward of those two is for the fresh water tank.
MamaCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Thanks for everyone's input. After seeing the photo of Bob's we found the same valve on our trailer and it worked great. It is hard to turn so I had to carefully turn it with assistance from a pair of pliars. The tank drained fairly quickly and we were in business. I think I will leave the two line drains closed since I will likely just winterize each year with the pink antifreeze, after bypassing and draining the hot water tank. We haven't put a filter in our drinking "fountain" yet so it isn't a factor.

Steve & Beth
AIR 22763
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote

2007 classic