Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
lakeland , Florida
Send a message via AIM to nursematt
disc brakes

I am looking to replace my disc brake pads and having a little difficulty getting the part number from my local airstream dealer. They are in Florida and I know they are busy this time of year. Anyone know where I could purchase the replacement parts for my 31' classic. any help would be appreciated.

Matt
nursematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursematt View Post
I am looking to replace my disc brake pads and having a little difficulty getting the part number from my local airstream dealer. They are in Florida and I know they are busy this time of year. Anyone know where I could purchase the replacement parts for my 31' classic. any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Do you have the Dexter or Kodiak disc brakes?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Try calling the Airstream factory at 937 596-6111.

I'm thinking they can be bought after market. The Airstream customer service people will know.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
lakeland , Florida
thanks for the help guys. sorry didn't mention year 2007 classic. took LLb21's advice and called airstream. left a message and got a call back in about 4 hours. I was impressed. left several messages with the stealership and still haven't received a call back. The tech guy looked up my unit by the serial no. and said it had Dexter brakes and would have to buy dexter brake pads to replace them. Yuck. priced them on the website and they run about 170 per 2 wheels. Could be worse I guess.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Nursematt,
While you are at it and have the wheels off, be sure to check the rubber brake line condition and position. We have an '06 and the brake lines are barely long enough ans positioned poorly. One rubbed through on the wheel well and left us without brakes on a trip last year. I had Airstream overnight a new line and replaced it in the campground. I am going to replace the other three before the 2009 season becuase two of the remaining three are showing signs of rubbing on the wheel wells and one is WAY too short and has a kink in it where it attaches at the brake caliper. They should have used braided steel lines and ones that are longer to alleviate the kinking and rubbing issue.

If you want to read all the gory details and see the damaged brake line, have a look here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...end-45278.html

Good luck with your brake pad replacement.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
thanks for the help guys. sorry didn't mention year 2007 classic. took LLb21's advice and called airstream. left a message and got a call back in about 4 hours. I was impressed. left several messages with the stealership and still haven't received a call back. The tech guy looked up my unit by the serial no. and said it had Dexter brakes and would have to buy dexter brake pads to replace them. Yuck. priced them on the website and they run about 170 per 2 wheels. Could be worse I guess.
Etrailer has the entire brake conversion for Kodiak, if you want to go that route. It's more up front, but the pads are standard automotive when time to replace. The kit is around $300, but the pads would then be about $20 per axle afterward.

Kodiak Disc Brake Conversion Kit, 5,200 - 6,000 lbs. 6 on 5-1/2
Kodiak Disc Brake Conversion Kit for most 5,200 lb. and 6,000 lb. Trailer Axles Kit includes: (2) Hub/Rotors (2) Pair of Calipers with Pads (2) Brackets to mount Calipers to axle Fits Dexter and most 5,200 lb./6,000 lb. axles Replaces 12\" brake

etrailer.com

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Disc brake pads.

A set of 4 disc brake pads, which is for one axle, has some wild prices, depending on the manufacturer of the disc brakes that you may have.

Dexter says $179.33 per axle.
Airstream says $159.07 per axle, for the Dexter pads.
Kodiak ceramic pads are $44.00 per axle.

Makes a huge difference when it comes time to replace the pads, depending on the manufacturer.

We checked with one of the largest RV national parts distributor, for Dexter disc brake pads, availablilty.

WOW. They quoted as having 3 sets, between all their warehouses in the country. They only have 19 warehouses. WOW, again.

Andy
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Hi DEITZ645,

Yes, very important checks. The brake line routing is a disgrace on our 07 Classic. Had front axle hoses that were too short or the flex/solid pipe anchor points were welded in wrong place. One hose on front axle kinked so badly we could not bleed brakes. A/S, as usual, were there for us and made up 3" longer front hoses and shipped to UK free of charge. Rear hoses still need to be adjusted, they are rubbing on chassis frame.

Regards, John
WK57ABF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
lakeland , Florida
Thanks for all the postings. Going to check on the kodiak conversion kit as well. Hoses and the works. Like to do the maintenance myself. The dealerships here in FL take forever to get into and of course charge arm and leg. Will post follow up after check the stuff out this weekend. Thanks again for the 411.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for all the postings. Going to check on the kodiak conversion kit as well. Hoses and the works. Like to do the maintenance myself. The dealerships here in FL take forever to get into and of course charge arm and leg. Will post follow up after check the stuff out this weekend. Thanks again for the 411.
It appears after warranty is out, that Dexter disc brake parts cost sometimes twice as much as Kodiak parts.

We are compiling a list of some of those parts price comparisons and will post it when completed.

For starters, the cost for one set of Dexter pads, would get you four (4) Kodiak pad sets, as per Airstream and Dexter.

Andy

Tags
2007 classic, classic, disc brakes, pads