Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
Gator113's Avatar
 
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 244
Images: 2
Cushions here, cushions there, cushions everywhere - 2007 Classic

After 6 long months of what seemed like an eternity, I finally found her!!!

As of April 1st, I am a proud first time owner of a 2007 25' Classic Limited, FB.

She's like a beautiful woman, I can't take my eyes off of her.... such lines, beauty and art... why did I wait so long?

Anyway, even though she was hardly used and is in "like new" condition, I have found a few problems.

Eventually, I will know every square inch of this trailer, but for now I am as dumb as a box of rocks ..... with the simple things.

THE CUSHIONS: These things are driving me crazy. I call them "the cushions from Hell". They are leather... okay, I like that, but they seem to have a mind of their own. They will not stay put.

I can sit at one end and the backrest section of other end pushes out. When I stand up, it almost always falls over. I'm thinking of trying some sticky back velcro to affix it to the wedge piece behind the cushion, but I would like to hear of any other remedies that others may have found.

CHARGING FROM THE VEHICLE: It's not. In all other ways the trailer powers up fine, but it's not charging while I'm going down the road. I KNOW it's not my tow vehicle. Is there some magic trick to this or might there be a hidden inline fuse?

Folks, I know these issues seem small, but I can't rest until I have resolved them.

I remain as excited as a child on Christmas morning.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Dan
__________________

__________________
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
Gator113's Avatar
 
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 244
Images: 2
42 views and not a single post, makes me think that my questions were very stupid.

I have figured out the issues and will soon resolve them, so I no longer need any advise, tips or comments.

This thread is closed.

Cheers,

Dan
__________________

__________________
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
First off, welcome to the forums!

Sometimes, things just get lost in the line-up of posts...don't take it personally! Someone with a similar model may check in soon...in the meantime, I think the velcro is a good idea - although I would probably sew it on (if possible) because of the adhesive vs temperature swings inside a trailer. It might get soft and move around or leave a sticky mess.

Other ideas might be a hook-n-eye sort of thing or a heavy duty snap. Just depends on what is on the opposite surface. I know in our '64 GT we have a hook kinda like an oversized pant hook that holds our gaucho cushions in place - but they are a much different design than yours I'm sure. It screws into the plywood backer and is a very positive fit. The snaps I am thinking of are the canvas kind that are riveted, screwed or swaged in place...I think you're on the right track though.

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
easyride's Avatar
 
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,259
Images: 1
As far as charging from the vehicle,I had to add a fuse under the hood on my Silverado,don`t know what you are towing with.My newest trailer is a 77,so I can`t help you with your cushions from hell.
Welcome to the forum. Dave
__________________
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Sorry to have read your Hello and Goodbye in a single sitting .... whoops.

For anyone else who gets this far in the thread - I have an idea about how to help with cushion stray.... cut pieces of rug grip (or whatever it's called) and place between cushions. I think this is the same stuff now being used for shelf liner.

Grip-It Shelf & Cushion Liners - Product - Camping World

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
As far as charging from the vehicle,I had to add a fuse under the hood on my Silverado,don`t know what you are towing with.My newest trailer is a 77,so I can`t help you with your cushions from hell.
Welcome to the forum. Dave
Yep, those cheapasschevy manufacturers require you to put in a fuse to make your brake controller and pigtail work right .... cripes. Next tow vehicle is a Ford (with my last name and Mike Rowe hawking them how can I resist?)

Paula Ford
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
We had a 27' 2007 Classic FB and our cushions shot all over the place. I think velcro is the answer, or an elastic tab connected to an eye bolt at the back of the cushion. I tried the skid cloth and it didn't work that well but was better. The toss pillows helped wedge the cushions under the table a bit some times. But it was definitely a nuisance sliding and flopping all the time you would move.

Congratulations the FB has lots of cool features and the wood is gorgeous!

From what I have read here the charging is next to non-existant while driving. It charges very slowly and you must drive a long time. Topping the batteries off after a discharge is much better done with electric hook-up, I think. Generators are another possibility.

Put up some pictures. We love pictures. I saw the post yesterday but didn't want to be the first to answer. I guess I should have. Weekends can be slow for posts expecially after the long winter.
__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
Gator113's Avatar
 
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 244
Images: 2
Shari,

Thank you for your comments. I will likely try the snap approach and if that doesn't work, I'll have the thing reupholstered. I like the leather, but this nonsense must be remedied.

Frankly, had I noticed this problem before the purchase, I would have kept shopping.... but so far, I love it in every other way. ;>)

Dan
__________________
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
Gator113's Avatar
 
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 244
Images: 2
Cushions here, cushions there, cushions everywhere....

Oh boy, now there are too many responses for me to respond to. LOL

Thanks to each of you.

When I get time, I will post a photo of my dream trailer and my tv. I tow this with a white 2010 Toyota Tundra, CrewMax Limited, 4x4.

Mark my words, I will someday be able to help others, but right now, I am as green as they come with Airstreams, so I will be asking lots of stupid questions.

I have always dreamed of having an Airstream. 6 months ago I decided "if not now--then when?" My bride of 38 years, also known as "yes dear", gave me the go ahead... so here we are.

The trailer has a few minor bugs, but it looks like new... I don't think the previous owner ever used it. He recently sold it and upgraded to one of those Marathon motor homes for about 2 million bucks. Those are beautiful motor homes, but I wonder if he'll miss the Airstream.

I think I got very lucky and I am happy to be part of all of this...
__________________
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
Mark my words, I will someday be able to help others, but right now, I am as green as they come with Airstreams, so I will be asking lots of stupid questions.
Welcome to the forums. We're glad you finally got here. We've been waiting for you.

You are treading a path we all took at one point. We probably asked the same questions you have and will ask. Ask them all no matter how silly you may think they may be. We're happy to help you out. Later on you'll be helping out the new Streamer.

The most important thing to take on all of your trips will be your sense of humor. Lots of strange and odd things will go wrong.

See you around the campfire.
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
After 6 long months of what seemed like an eternity, I finally found her!!!

As of April 1st, I am a proud first time owner of a 2007 25' Classic Limited, FB.

She's like a beautiful woman, I can't take my eyes off of her.... such lines, beauty and art... why did I wait so long?

Anyway, even though she was hardly used and is in "like new" condition, I have found a few problems.

Eventually, I will know every square inch of this trailer, but for now I am as dumb as a box of rocks ..... with the simple things.

THE CUSHIONS: These things are driving me crazy. I call them "the cushions from Hell". They are leather... okay, I like that, but they seem to have a mind of their own. They will not stay put.

I can sit at one end and the backrest section of other end pushes out. When I stand up, it almost always falls over. I'm thinking of trying some sticky back velcro to affix it to the wedge piece behind the cushion, but I would like to hear of any other remedies that others may have found.

CHARGING FROM THE VEHICLE: It's not. In all other ways the trailer powers up fine, but it's not charging while I'm going down the road. I KNOW it's not my tow vehicle. Is there some magic trick to this or might there be a hidden inline fuse?

Folks, I know these issues seem small, but I can't rest until I have resolved them.

I remain as excited as a child on Christmas morning.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Dan

Dan,
Airstream solved the problem on the new trailers. Velcro patches and a strap on the backside that attaches to the wall. It works well and they stay put. If you get a chance go to a dealership that has a 2010 27' (there is no 25' Classic for 2010) and take a looksy for ideas to solve your problem.
__________________

__________________
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2007 classic


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.