Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Classic 25fb Dinette Table Needs Spot Refinish

We took a trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago and while on the trip we noticed what seemed to be a small ring on the finished dinette table. I thought it was something like jam or something sticky and when I scraped it off with my finger nail I discovered there is now a ring of bare wood exposed. Seems something must have eatan away at the clear finish.

So I would like to perform a spot finish to this spot which is the size of a US quarter. Can i lightly sand the spot with some fine sandpaper and then brush on some clear glossy MinWax?

Thanks for any advice.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Kevin,

It can be repaired easily with any lacquer based finish. Deft is the brand that I found works well, and I got it from Lowe's.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is this a spray or brush on repair?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is this a spray or brush on repair?
Either one, but you will get a smoother finish by spraying.

The one I did was from bare wood, and so I put several heavy coats on brushing, let it harden well, block sanded with 400 grit, and then sprayed a final coat and it looked very good.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Good info Steve,
I'll be able to try my hand at table repair before the summer is out.

My table is the 33"x40" Hickory top. And will need to be repaired before too much time passes. It has a hairline crack lengthwise right down the middle where the wood was joined. Looks like it must have dried out and just plain cracked. No getting around it, more work!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My repair is small a quarter size donut, the center is not affected. Are we sure the original finish is lacquer and not a polyurethane? Maybe a small brush to apply and let it level itself in the donut. I'll try to post a photo soon.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My repair is small a quarter size donut, the center is not affected. Are we sure the original finish is lacquer and not a polyurethane? Maybe a small brush to apply and let it level itself in the donut. I'll try to post a photo soon.
Yes, I am definitely sure. I even called Airstream to make sure before I did the work. They couldn't tell me the brand of the finish, and I asked them, "is it varnish, polyurethane, or Lacquer?" They said they didn't know the brand, but it was definitely Lacquer.

I have even done spot touch-ups on the cabinet doors where they turn white from water being splashed on them, and the Deft Lacquer fixes them with no hastle.

If I were working a spot on a table top, I would brush the spot with several quick, heavy fill dabs in that spot, sand the whole table top, and then spray. The good thing about lacquer is every coat you put on, melts into and binds with the coats under it, so it's easy to repair, but you want a nice smooth job on a table top.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
We've had a '01 25' Classic, an '04 28' Classic, a '10 31' Classic, and now the '08 34' Classic, and I have used the Deft Lacquer to touch up the cabinet door on each of them, and it works great.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The bad thing about solid wood furnishings is the finish can get marked up easily. The good thing about solid wood furnishings is the can be repaired easily, many times.

If the table top shows some other wear, it would be very easy to lightly sand the whole top and put on a new finish.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Never got around to spot repairing my table yet. Now there is a couple of whit spots that have appeared on another section of the table. can't think of how it got ther as we always use table mats. It's on my summer project list now.

Kelvin