Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #41

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Thai is how our thermostat operates. However our 2010 came standard with 15K BTU.

Ken
That's good to hear that they made that standard. I think it was about $700 to get that configuration back in fall 2003 when mine was built. After cooling issues with my 27' Safari and the 13.5 AC unit, and my experience with folks who had the 13.5 unit on their 34' trailers, I was quick to ask for that enhancement. I've not regretted that upgrade.

I wanted to delete the carpet at that time but was told no. The slide outs of my vintage used a roller system that rolled on the carpet as the slide moved. I was told that a hard floor would wear though over time due to the pressure of the rollers. Some told me that the later built slides did not have that roller system which allowed them to delete the carpet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #42
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Our Safari had twins and the thing I miss most about it is the outside storage that you get with twins. You see, I claimed (successfully) all the outside storage; the inside remains negotiable with my better half.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
One thing I might try if I had it to do over is to get Airstream to install a 15,000 front and an 11,000 rear A/C to better match the capacity to the cooling load.

Odd - the 2011 Airstream Classic 30 footer (one year newer than yours) that I'm thinking about trading up too comes with a 15,000 btu front and 13,500 btu rear....

Guess it's gonna make up for the loss of my disc brakes if I do the up-trade....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Odd - the 2011 Airstream Classic 30 footer (one year newer than yours) that I'm thinking about trading up too comes with a 15,000 btu front and 13,500 btu rear....

Guess it's gonna make up for the loss of my disc brakes if I do the up-trade....

Are you saying that you have disc brakes on your 2010?

I know mine does not. It has drums.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I've got a 2007 classic and it also has disc brakes. Did they discontinue these for the 2010?
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #46
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would agree with the second AC unit. When it gets over 90 degrees it is difficult to cool down the bedroom. No Carpet as well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
I've got a 2007 classic and it also has disc brakes. Did they discontinue these for the 2010?
On my 2010, Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes were standard.

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Ken
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Are you saying that you have disc brakes on your 2010?

I know mine does not. It has drums.

Ken

He really does not have a 2010 model trailer. The last year they made a 25' Classic was 2009.
I think he explained once that he calls it a 2010 because he bought it that year.
Good thing he's not into Vintage units! That would really be confusing.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #49
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
On my 2010, Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes were standard.

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

Ken
Disc brakes were discontinued towards the end of the 2009 model year, apparently due to a combination of actuator problems and production problems. It is my understanding that it is still possible to order a trailer with disc brakes by having the Jackson Center service center remove and discard the drum brakes and install aftermarket disc brakes before the trailer is actually shipped. Since no credit is given for the parts that are removed it is an expensive upgrade.

I have been satisfied with the braking performance I get with my drum brakes but plan to replace them with disc brakes when they reach the point where they require extensive maintenance.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
Disc brakes were discontinued towards the end of the 2009 model year, apparently due to a combination of actuator problems and production problems. It is my understanding that it is still possible to order a trailer with disc brakes by having the Jackson Center service center remove and discard the drum brakes and install aftermarket disc brakes before the trailer is actually shipped. Since no credit is given for the parts that are removed it is an expensive upgrade.

I have been satisfied with the braking performance I get with my drum brakes but plan to replace them with disc brakes when they reach the point where they require extensive maintenance.

I also have no complaints about the drum brakes. Since I live right at the base of the Rockies, they get a good workout. I do however go down steep grades slowly, using extensive engine braking. If I find I need to use the brakes other than a touch here and there, I slow down and get in a lower gear.

Ken
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
He really does not have a 2010 model trailer. The last year they made a 25' Classic was 2009.
I think he explained once that he calls it a 2010 because he bought it that year.
It can get confusing. I bought my 2010 in August 2009.

It was of the first few 2010 31's built.

Ken
Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #52
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:

Interesting. I had my Dexter Disk brakes replaced with Kodiaks and my actibrake actuator with a Carlilie. I go pick up the trailer in a couple of weeks.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I have a question, and I think it pertains to the opening line of this thread. Does AS have any kind of warranty on these trailers? For the sheer tens of thousands of dollars spent, it seems that they would repair or replace things that wear out in these timeframes (looking at your trailer dates). At this point, I'd much rather buy a vintage trailer restored by a restorer than a new trailer. It seems that there are numerous issues with the new AS that have to be restored by the owner. Granted, floor rot and leaky windows were in the old ones as well, but I don't know that society had the same expectations back then (how do I know, I'm still in my 30's).

At this point, even though I think the new ones are very pretty, I don't think I would even consider trading out my vintage AS. I'm putting in what I believe is top of the line appliances, and if I had been building the cabinets, those would be tops as well (actually somewhat disappointed my cabinets were perfect - I really had thoughts about redoing the interior)

Is AS meeting your expectations of quality workmanship?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
rob', presently Airstream has a 2 year limited warranty. Some people have been successful getting things fixed after that period by working with consumer relations. Things that were designed poorly may be the subject of a product liability lawsuit, but for most people that just doesn't make economic sense.

I think in the very early Airstream days, there was a lifetime warranty.

As for your question about quality expectations, though we don't have a Classic, I think disappointment is high for many owners of all the product lines. It's not just workmanship, it's also poor design and cheap parts.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

As for your question about quality expectations, though we don't have a Classic, I think disappointment is high for many owners of all the product lines. It's not just workmanship, it's also poor design and cheap parts.

Gene
I would add that this is not uncommon in the RV industry and you would find that owners of other brands have similar issues.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Old is still old no matter what is done to it. A ground up restore still leaves one with an old trailer, albeit a very nice one. I have owned one vintage and three new AS. What I saw in the vintage was old style cost saving construction and labor. What I see in the new units is pretty much the same. I prefer the new designs far and above the old, to each his own. The biggest problem I have seen in my units is water leaks. I bet the old ones when new had exactly the same problems. So as far as quality in my mind there is no dif. If one wants a completely restored older unit, go for it. I prefer something new. You restore the oldies, and I will maintain the newies. We can all be happy. Let's go camping!!!. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Old is still old no matter what is done to it. A ground up restore still leaves one with an old trailer, albeit a very nice one. I have owned one vintage and three new AS. What I saw in the vintage was old style cost saving construction and labor. What I see in the new units is pretty much the same. I prefer the new designs far and above the old, to each his own. The biggest problem I have seen in my units is water leaks. I bet the old ones when new had exactly the same problems. So as far as quality in my mind there is no dif. If one wants a completely restored older unit, go for it. I prefer something new. You restore the oldies, and I will maintain the newies. We can all be happy. Let's go camping!!!. zz
I like your attitude zz. At the end of the day, I like the option of putting premium products in an old style trailer and making it new (which is what I'm trying to do), but at some point in my life, I'll probably just want to walk in and hit a button on a remote and know everything works and I can enjoy the camping experience, not the trailer fixing experience. (though, sometimes I like that too)

Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #58
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are other threads addressing quality problems specifically. I had intended this thread to focus on those things that a new buyer might consider before ordering.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Bluto totally called me out on that one last year - kinda became an inside joke...

So to make it easier - I've sold my 2009 25FB and migrated to a 30 footer to cure that problem......

Yes - I had a 25FB Classic with the disc brakes - next week I pick up my new 2011 30 Classic with drums...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
next week I pick up my new 2011 30 Classic with drums...
ta dah dum Congrats and post pictures!
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 classic, critique