Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Anyone Have LED Taillight Problems on their Classic

I posted this thread in the Electrical forum

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...fb-112805.html

Any of you fellow Classic owners have issues with your LED tail lights such as burned out LEDs or flashing LEDs when the brakes are applied?

The love is starting to fade with this trailer as yet another problem discovered.

Kelvin

Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, Kelvin, the OEM lights are prone to burnout. I replaced with these 2 years ago and they are still fine.

Star Burst 48 LED STT 2005 to 08 Airstream STT-SB SKU318 [STT-SB] - $34.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
One of the first things I replaces were the tail lights as I am a firm believer in visibility. I ordered directly from Airstream and am very happy with the lights so far. They are a sealed unit and plug into the existing bulb socket. One of the lights did not work correctly, I emailed and they sent another ...no charge. Our 1998 uses 4 stop-turn-brake lights and 2 backup. Here is the like at Airstream

https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=274
Gilmurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
... Any of you fellow Classic owners have issues with your LED tail lights such as burned out LEDs or flashing LEDs when the brakes are applied? ...
I have an '08 Classic that also had some LEDs go out and segments of several LEDs would blink when the brakes were applied. It spread to 3 of the 4 units in the past year.

When we were in JC in May, I bought 4 replacements. The boards and the LEDs are different from the originals. Yours may be the same as mine. After you take the lens off, there are 3 wires crimped to 3 coming from the back of the housing, there is no bulb socket or connector (unless there is a connector behind the entire housing). During assembly, they had installed a cable tie around the wires to keep them from falling back through the hole. The replacement had a pigtail with a 3-wire plug. I cut off the plug and used wire nuts to connect to the 3 internal wires. The original board was secured with 4 self tapping screws, JC told me only 2 of the holes would line up with the existing mounts in the housing and that they only use two screws when installing these boards. So far all is well, but it took about 3 years or so before I noticed the problem.

LEDs offer the promise of longevity in addition to low power consumption. I think the early assemblies either lacked quality control or the manufacturers may have since learned why the consumer was seeing early life failures. Our city replaced all their traffic signals with LED assemblies about 6 years ago with the justification to the tax payers that they would save in costs associated with replacement bulbs in addition to the reduced electric costs in the long term. In short order, these LED assemblies started showing dead LED segments that looked like cracks from the street. They also started to flicker just like our brake lights. Many cars now come with LED tail and running lights and they seem to be very reliable so far. I am holding out hope that these replacement boards are superior to the originals I replaced.

The ones I got in JC look like the ones dznf0g linked to.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Mine failed and were replaced under warranty when the trailer was less than a year old.

The replacements work fine.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Thanks for everyones replies. I guess I better order two assemblies so the rear taillights match in intensity and pattern. The LED taillight at LED4RV is different compared to the array on my Airstream. I noticed there are 4 small screws holding the circuit board. Are these screws what I remove and then insert the new LED4RV unit or do I just replace the circuit board from the new part into the original light housing or do I use the complete new part?

How much were the replacements from Airstream, Silver Goose?

I sent an email to Airstream parts and they sent me a photo of the part stating any Airstream dealer could get it for me.

Thanks

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	511973 Taillight.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	199983  
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I went to the storage and took some photos of the taillight. I was able to disassemble the taillight but not able to remove the housing from taillight bezel. The circuit board is connected via wire nuts and a tie strap as Silver Goose mentioned above. It looks like the easiest thing to do is take the new housing and remove the circuit board, cut the wire plug off and then just connect the new circuit board to the existing wires and wire nuts. No use to replace the plastic housing or the lens.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tailight.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	200043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailight (1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	200044  

Name:	Tailight (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	200045  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
... How much were the replacements from Airstream, Silver Goose? I sent an email to Airstream parts and they sent me a photo of the part stating any Airstream dealer could get it for me. Thanks Kelvin
I dug out my receipt. At that time they were getting $47.84 ea. Here's a pic of the board after I installed it on the original housing. Note only 2 screws were used. The wires and wire nuts tucked behind the board. The array still produces the starburst appearance of the original but the lens may have the most to do with that. The new and old lens were interchangeable so you can use either and maybe save the other for a spare in case one gets cracked or scratched.

They appear to be the same units that dznf0g referenced and his were about $10 less. Without comparing the boards it would be hard to know if they were identical.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3815658027.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	688.5 KB
ID:	200253  
Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I decided to order two taillight replacements from LED4RV. Quick shipment as I ordered them on Saturday and got them on Monday via USPS. They were $34.95 each and shipped with free shipping and no sales tax. As with everything else, the part is made in China. The parts look identical to the the old tail lights so there shouldn't be an issue to install them.

I've attached a few photos. I've decided I will take cut the plug off, then remove the circuit boards and the using the existing wing nuts, remove the old circuit board and connect the new circuit board. That way I don't have to mess trying to get the housing out and loosing the wires down into the body of the trailer.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Replacement Tail Lights.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	200369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement Tail Lights (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	200370  

Name:	Replacement Tail Lights (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	200371  
Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Its been awhile since I bought my replacement tail lights from LED4RV but I finally got them installed this weekend. The wire loom that comes with the new units is spliced to the wires from the circuit boards with wire nuts. I took the circuit boards off the new units and swapped them with the old circuit boards leaving the existing light frames on the trailer. The circuit boards go on only one way or the holes don't line up with the frame mounting holes. I used the new lens on the existing frames.

Kelvin