Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Ken, I think the more important question that you have to ask yourself is why you keep coming back to read it. Nothing prevents you from ignoring the thread. I'm not "bumping" the thread, just responding to what others have added to a very important topic. There are 21 people vewing as I write this so at least that many find some interest in what's being said. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, just look closely for yourself and come to your own conclusion.
I think potential new owners should know exactly what they're buying. And....It doesn't bother me one iota that it iritates you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Why do you keep bumping this thread just so you can gripe some more?

I think you've said it all.

Go find another forum to complain to.

Ken

Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #100
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Ken, I think the more important question that you have to ask yourself is why you keep coming back to read it. Nothing prevents you from ignoring the thread. I'm not "bumping" the thread, just responding to what others have added to a very important topic. There are 21 people vewing as I write this so at least that many find some interest in what's being said. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, just look closely for yourself and come to your own conclusion.
I think potential new owners should know exactly what they're buying. And....It doesn't bother me one iota that it iritates you.
Well, you need to understand "the current" buyers are NOT buying a 2007!!!!

My seams moulding are perfect. The majority of Airstreams as of current date are up to par. I stop and look every chance I get at the later models. I'm amazed at the quality. Someone somewhere must have rattled some cages because MOST of the complaints have been 2005-2008.

Keep buying New if you can. Airsream is awesome!!

Well from what I can gather and expeirence.

Shane

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Post # 85 had pictures of some defects in a new unit. This thread can only alert buyers to be more careful and perhaps alert AS to give QC a higher priority, it will not damage any of the new units new buyers have purchased and are satisfied with, guaranteed. This obviously is a thread started to vent about the ones that got under the radar and haven't pleased or impressed their owners with their reputed high standards of quality. No one is rooting for you to have a lemon. Just be tolerant of others experiences especially when they start the thread and clearly title the subject. Since 2004 we have bought 4 new Airstreams and 2 used Airstreams and there are quite a few obvious and repeated errors in the production line that should not remain uncorrected. Airstream is aware of those issues. You are fortunate that you have not had to experience the frustration of a unit with problems. But surely people with units 3-5 years old can expect quality for their money spent too without buying new a 2011 to see if QC got better. I say Craftsman paid his dues to talk and many others agree.

photography
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have bought 3 new Airstreams.

The first was one of the first 22' Internationals with the, then, new laminate interior. It was a disaster. The Airstream Rep seconded my opinion. It was overweight with no carrying capacity, had to have the frame strengthened, and had a long list of bugs having to do with the laminate interior. But I liked the Airstream idea overall.

My second was a 2003 Classic 25 and it was certainly much better in every respect. I had very few quality problems and I fixed them without dealer help. What did fail was all 3rd party provided equipment and was not the fault of Airstream.

My third is a 2005 Classic 28. It was almost perfect from the factory. The only problem was a TV cabling problem which I fixed with parts provided by the plant. I have remodeled the trailer extensively, but not because of quality problems.

I do notice that the interior screws are of low quality. They are made of soft metal that tend to strip out easily when I reuse them. Otherwise, I can't fault the quality of my current ride.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
From what I saw on the lot of one of the major Airstream dealers three months ago not much has changed. Same people building them with the same QC. 2010 fit and finish looked the same to me . The corrosion was actually worse. They started putting the belt line around all models to cover up any potential corrosion at the rivet line. The tech there told me if your's isn't showing corrrosion, "just wait a bit". Like I said this is pretty much the best they're capable of at this point. Read post #33. It's not the exception. It's true that the quality can be all over the place with an Airstream, doesn"t much matter what year it was built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Well, you need to understand "the current" buyers are NOT buying a 2007!!!!

My seams moulding are perfect. The majority of Airstreams as of current date are up to par. I stop and look every chance I get at the later models. I'm amazed at the quality. Someone somewhere must have rattled some cages because MOST of the complaints have been 2005-2008.

Keep buying New if you can. Airsream is awesome!!

Well from what I can gather and expeirence.

Shane

Shane
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #104

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I think everyone needs to " build their bridge" and get over it! AS is a great trailer and they might have issues but they are built by people! I'm not perfect and neither are the people who build things. I understand wanting to vent but... Get over it. We all bought an Airstream for a reason and it's a differnt reason for everyone. If you want perfection, build it yourself or just fix what you bought, or better yet sell it and get of the cross, we need the wood for the camp fire!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #105
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I call it as I see it. I have one in the driveway, btw. A 2010!!!!!! Awesome Product and even better customer service. I had spots on my sliding overhead bin doors. No biggie, I called Airstream and they got replaced. No questions asked. YOU should have Used your Airstream and these small issues would have been taken care of. Mine is near perfect. I say near because it isn't...IT'S hand made in America by Americans. I stand behind my Stream. Looks great, Works great, minor issues, Yup,..but not really enough t o go yelling about.

I reiterate,..BUY New, worth every penny, but then again I didn't pay full price, but who does? BUY IT NEW, USE YOU 2 YEAR WARRANTY,USE YOUR AIRSTREAM AND AFTER 2 YEARS, LIFE SHOULD BE GOOD!!!!!

AIRSTREAM IS #1

sHANE

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #106
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
From what I saw on the lot of one of the major Airstream dealers three months ago not much has changed. Same people building them with the same QC. 2010 fit and finish looked the same to me . The corrosion was actually worse. They started putting the belt line around all models to cover up any potential corrosion at the rivet line. The tech there told me if your's isn't showing corrrosion, "just wait a bit". Like I said this is pretty much the best they're capable of at this point. Read post #33. It's not the exception. It's true that the quality can be all over the place with an Airstream, doesn"t much matter what year it was built.
I read this and think...Hmm you should have seen a lot of your issues earlier, by using your Airstream. But you didn't..So eventhough the bullet is hard to bite, you must,...just quit expressing your lack of incompetenance/ unforseen circumstances,work,illness whatever as a bias to someone elses future decision. No JOKE. YOU have a tough pill to swallow,...We don't.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #107
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm solidly in the middle on this one.

First I'm not a craftsman. I know craftsmen. They look at my tract house and shake their head, and would look at my trailer and shake their head. I can see numerous examples of stuff like wavy floor molding, crooked electrical outlets, wood panels which don't exactly line up, and more. This stuff simply doesn't bother me. Even the glaringly crooked electrical outlet which could be fixed in minutes remains crooked.

I do try very hard to maintain the trailer in the condition of which it was delivered. I have friends with RVs and my trailer has been more troublesome than average. However, much of the trouble comes from third party appliances which are of typical RV quality, and no better substitute is available. Most of the trouble centers around the Dometic brand.

First the gripes: I think after years of premature failures, Airstream would finally specify a better skylight and roof vents. These things fail much too soon and better options are available. Honestly has anyone experienced satisfactory service from these items?

On my trailer (Safari) the foam used to stuff the cushions and mattress is simply horrible. I replaced the mattress, the cushions bottom out after sitting on them for a half hour.

The double sided tape holding the "shub" assembly isn't adequate. Repair needed in the first couple years.

Corrosion-some of the fittings are too prone to corrosion such as the license bracket, some trim and the bumper.

The good:

Count me as an exception but I feel the clearcoated aluminum panels are pretty durable considering they have been punched full of holes. After 6 years intense UV environment exposure they look new. There are a few small examples of filiform corrosion in the panel edges but nearly unnoticeable. My factory wheels still look nearly new. The exterior finish is very easy to maintain.

I think most of the interior materials used in the Safari are pretty durable. The fabrics clean up easily after a spill and look good. The vinyl floor material has held up well. The cabinet laminate hasn't faded and still looks good.

The quality of the running gear is good. When I packed the wheel bearings I noticed first rate Koyo bearings.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood following a thousand mile trouble free outing. I had a great time in the trailer. There is certainly room for improvement of the Airstream but I don't feel cheated in any way.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #108
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I say Craftsman paid his dues to talk and many others agree.
It's simple. Craftsman should have used his warranty, and now he is trying kill airstream because of his OWN circumstances. No execuse.

Craftsman needs to let it go and learn from his mistakes.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #109
_

. , .
excessive substandard thread part 1....

this is a rant thread.

as a rant thread it will eventually drift away...

REPORTING issues (good or bad) is sorta useful when done in a way that others can use over a LONG time frame.

anyone with a detailed report should NOT WASTE keystrokes in this thread.

instead consider using these which appear YEARLY and for EACH PRODUCTION YEAR...
_________

again,

for anyone genuinely interested in posting issues/info/fit/finish and other things related to builds,

use these threads, which i've linked from most RECENT (2010) to OLDEST (2003)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-50306.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-41668.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-21553.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-16147.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ing-11189.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-04s-7106.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f236...sues-8654.html

simply FIND the year that fits YOUR unit and tap away.

reading those, you will PLEASED to find a mix of posts...

issues, fixes, common themes for some problems, travel pics, GOOD reports and so on...

buyers of USED trailer still benefit from reading the 03-09 stuff and those buying 10s get a bit of info...

2011 hasn't been started yet.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #110
_

. , .
excessive substandard thread part 2...

had the OP wanted his experience to be really useful,

it would have gone INTO the 07 thread linked in the last post...

that didn't happen and we can all speculate on WHY this thread and WHY now...

imi here's the story...

the op is traveling NOW in a 4 year old trailer...

it's really the first MAJOR trip...

recently the brakes crapped out and according to the post resulted in 1000s of $ in repairs...

and the first post was made as a RESPONSE to unexpected repair costs and time lost.

this isn't uncommon, many of us have FELT sting'd by a product.

it's up to you to decide IF any of that's true and why this happened.

according to the info the op ordered, paid in advance and took possession.

it was order to HIS desired, delivered by a dealer with a GREAT rep for customer service...

and then barely used for the 2 years of warranty time.

this is a GREAT teaching point for "potential new owners"...

-DO NOT pay in advance...

-USE THE TRAILER early and often...

-GO BACK to a dealer and get things fixed during the warranty period.

-IF the dealer can't or isn't will to fix things, contact the COMPANY...

-repair MIGHT require a trip to j/c but they WILL typically fix most things IF still under warranty.

so this thread and this buyer are TEXTBOOK examples of what NOT 2 DO...

maybe the thread could be made a STICKie...

so folks can learn from the buyer mistakes revealed earlier.

i read remorse here.

imi the op might now wish the trailer was BIGGER...

or might realize the rvlife isn't ALL THAT in retirement.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #111
_

. , .
excessive substandard thread part 3...

people change their minds about products...

this happens regularly and is a privilege that comes with ownership.

just 2 provide an example here are few quotes ON THIS TRAILER by the op...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I think that QC (at least for 2007) is much improved regardless of the increased production numbers. I am very much aware of quality of fit and finish as this is what I'm involved in every day in my work. My 2007 25' Classic is top quality. There are a few ( very few) and very minor issues that I corrected that you might expect on any hand built product, but the overall end result is pretty darn good. With the increased production Airstream managed to include some special order changes on my Classic including one just a week before the build date. I don't know about the other models but if my unit is any indication of improved QC then Airstream is listening and getting it right.
post #13 below for the source, dec/06 not long after purchase...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352...ics-28584.html

also from december/06 (perhaps still blindly EUPHORIC ?)

Quote:
The fit and finish of my 2007 25' Classic is excellent. The cabinet work is about as good as it gets. Tight joints ,good finish, all the doors and drawers function as they should.I had the the cabinets over the twin beds left out and stacked windows as well as vista views added. I don't miss the storage and the extra windows make the bedroom feel larger. I also had a light installed over the door and that works off the switch just inside the door so I have a light over the door as well as one at step level. I highly recommend this addition to anyone ordering from the factory. All in all a pretty nice unit.
post #17 below for the source...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tml#post304726

Quote:
Got to say the quality of my 2007 25' Classic is really excellent. A couple of minor things but I mean really minor.
post #36 below for the source, feb/07 a couple of months later...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...tml#post338059

Quote:
Just returned from Colonial Airstream. My wife and I are looking to trade up to a 30" or 34'. I like the split bath in the 30' because it a much more open feeling than the 34' bath that's to one side. Airstream really needs to offer the split bath in the 34' They are now putting the flat screen TV on the wall behind the dinette. When I sat in the dinette the TV cut into my shoulder and you would have to lean forward to eat. Who thinks this stuff up??? The excuse was , the arm the TV mounted on over the credenza was pulling out of the aluminum wall. How about just reinforcing this area of the wall frame when the unit is built?? My biggest dislike about the 34' (and this is the unit I want to buy) is the stove top, next to the drapes the credenza or leather couch in the L-shape lounge.I guess they figure if you have enough money to buy the 34', your not really going to cook in it. NOT!
post #184 below for the source. SAME THEAD as last one, but NOV/07 or nearly ONE YEAR of ownership...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...tml#post474917

then in MAY 2009, over 3 YEARS after the purchase this...

Quote:
I can't confirm this, but one of the reasons that I think my unit had fewer quality issues is because it was a custom ordered unit. I not only had contact many times with my dealer in the year before the actual order but with people at the factory who came to recognize me (or at least the unit) when I called). Airstream seems to straddle this world between being a high end semi-custom trailer builder and turning trailers out as fast as they can during a good economy.A lot of people who buy off the lot end up with a unit that reflects the workers day or factory atmosphere that particular day. I don't think you can take anything for granted. The more you're personally involved in the process the more influence you have. Maybe we should expect that because of the "Airstream legacy and heritage" any Airstream should be with out faults when delivered but I don't think their production methods, workforce, quality control,pay scale or anything else is much different than companies making trailers that cost half of what an Airstream does.I don't think you're buying "better", only different. I think Airstream wants to project an image of higher quality because you can sell at a premium but we all pay a pretty high cost to tow that Aluminum body behind our trucks.
post # 890 below for the source...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tml#post694297

EARLIER the op wrote this...

Quote:
Thanks, 500 posts......and still learning. Just look at some of the improvements Airstream has made in the last couple of years. Disc brakes, brought back the Vista View windows and retro running lights just to name a few. And.... it seems like they're taking the quality control issue seriously. ( and then they bring out the WBCCI Special edition????? ) I still think they need to find a better designer for the interior fabrics and colors and offer more choices for the cabinet woods.. but hey, things are pretty good and getting better in Airstream land.
post #85 below for the source BACK in feb/06 before buying the 25ftr...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...tml#post211685
_________

again folks can and DO change views...

RIGHT after the warranty expires this often happens...

it also happens on LONG trips, if the unit isn't really ideal for the task (like to small)

it also happens IF the spouse gets UNhappy or when things break, like the op's brakes...

and it ALSO happens when looking at new/trades and the greatly DEPRECIATED trade value is realized.

but there are 100s of posts during the last 4 years

and NONE mention the trailer is in STORAGE, not being used...

none mention not even SEEING the trailer for months at time...

and none mention some of the many problems NOW revealed.
_________

one has to wonder IF this unit was in storage/not being USED for 3-4 years,

what does THAT inactivity do to the brakes components...

(pad/rotor corrosion, sticky pistons, old brake fluid and INactive circuitry) ???
_________

there's no FULL DISCLOSER rulez here,

but it sure seemed like the OP was using this thing and ON TOP of all the issues...

being a craftsman and having spent so much time on details.

so we are left to wonder and as with ALL info posted on d'forum ...

READER b'ware, it's a jungle in here...

cheers
2air'

Old 09-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #112
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Nice Homework,2air.

Hopefully this post will die now.

Very insightful.

Thank-you.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432