Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #71
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Good Enough. Sorry about the luck. I'll wave to you and flash my lights when I see you. Just had me a little worried because I know Airstream does stand behind their product.

Now it's like water off a ducks back,,,,,Congrats on the "NEW" Airstream!!!!

<wink>

Happy Streaming

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Grottoes , Virginia
Mine's perfectly imperfect

Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jack, nice kitchen and back yard. I could go on and on about poor workmanship and have at times. Looking through Airstreams on a lot it's hard to see it all unless you have done this a number of times. Special orders are a crap shoot, but who would know that the first time. And, some things don't show up for a while. Shane, you've only had yours a short time. I hope your luck holds up, but you could be facing lots of breaking stuff in a year or two. Cross your fingers.

I wish I had the skill to build cabinets and admire anyone who can. I have remodeled a couple of houses and my secret is to buy rustic or log because you don't have to be as good a craftsman. I don't know how small cabinetmakers can survive today because production cabinets have gotten so good.

Gene
Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #74
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Shane, you've only had yours a short time. I hope your luck holds up, but you could be facing lots of breaking stuff in a year or two. Cross your fingers.

Gene
"Could Be"..."Luck"....

No Fingers, Blind Faith and a Understanding of how things work.

Thanks for the well wishes but not needed.

If you think about it MOSt people that buy new NEVER complain about anything. When you log on to the internet, it's the place TO complain and thats all you hear and those are the responses some guys hold on to. How many people actually get on and say "No Problems here"...Cmon.

We had a poll awhile back, if you remember and the majority WON in FAVOR of Airstream QC.

No Worries here and I will Praise Airstream/Thor Everywhere I go.
I'm NOT a basher.

Stream safe,

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The truth is I'm probably to picky. Building furniture is exacting. Anyone who does it seriously knows that everything has to fit together very percisely for it to work. If I look at something and see a gap it drives me nuts. We really pushed ourselves to be the best at what we do. Baltimore /Washington is a very competitive market. A lot of high end work but you have to deliver. I started fresh out of Art College ( Maryland Institute College of Art) over 40 years ago in a custom furniture shop in California. I built furniture, houses and guide boats in Lake Placid in the 80's and then came back to Baltimore where I worked downtown for years doing historic renovations before opening my own shop, The only way to be really good at what you do is strive to produce top quality work and associate yourself with other who have the same standards. No matter what you do,it's in the details and for me thats where Airstream loses it. There's also a bit of an odd three years in the 90's working for Land Rover North America as a construction consultant supervising the construction of Land Rover Centres (dealerships) from Chicago to Tampa.(long story)
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
No Worries here and I will Praise Airstream/Thor Everywhere I go.
That's what I like to hear....and, I encourage everyone to do the same. Someday, I'm going to have to unload (sorry, I meant "sell") this thing to someone and I want the value to be as high as possible. Until then, repeat after me...."Airstream is the greatest invention since sliced bread, there are more still on the road than any other RV ever made, and...they have been in production for over 75 years which should be a testament to their longevity and workmanship." "Heck, if my wife would let me, I would probably sleep in ours every night because it just makes me feel good all over."

Now, would you like some of this kool aid while you're writing that check sir??

Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but I have an Excel spreadsheet with all the repairs and mods that will accompany the unit when, and if, it is sold. After some wart removal, it is now more like the unit it should have been in the first place.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I recognize the guy in the video: he's my minister.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
He is very inspiring and does have a way with words.... especially that F word

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I recognize the guy in the video: he's my minister.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
MOSt people that buy new NEVER complain about anything.
Shane
Another good way to poll people's opinion or find out about the quality of their new Airstreams is to meet them in person and compare notes. And of course there are the terraport tales. I don't think I have met anyone with a new Airstream that didn't have problems that they didn't think they should have had. These would be the repeat problems such as holes or cuts in the floor or gaps or delamination or laminates or crooked cabinets or leaks either shower or window, divider door tracks nicked at every drill space, over torqued screws and rivets that led to cracked surfaces that had to be replaced. Often if one person experiences the trouble almost all of them have the same short comings. As John said it is the installation that has caused the damage. After having warranty work it becomes an issue of risking further damage with repair work or doing things yourself or living with the smaller problems.

photography
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, although my trailer is older, I feel like I'm smack dab right in the middle of Jack and Shane. I also ordered my trailer, not custom, but with the options that I wanted. I also payed cash before I ever even seen my trailer. I can, and will, fix things on my trailer by myself. I haven't had too many problems, but some of the things were disappointing.

(1.) I found a gap between my queen bed and the night stand, exposing my water heater. I built a filler board from scrap oak. I later discovered that other trailers had this filler board from the factory. Someone on the line forgot to do this.

(2.) About one year after it was out of warranty, I removed the cover under my oven and found trash, wires, and a piece of pipe. Some things you might never see or find. [under warranty]

(3.) later while trying to mouse proof my trailer, I found a gaping hole where the queen bed meets the wall. Well it didn't meet the wall by about 2 1/2"s. The end of the bed frame was hacked off, looked like it was done with a chain saw.

(4.) At almost six years old, I was doing my own brake and bearing service. I paid a shop to do it the first time. I found the rear shock absorbers were mounted up-side-down from the factory. A few e-mails to Airstream and they sent to me two brand new shocks. [Airstream made good]

So, Shane may or may not find things wrong long down the road, like I did, and fix them like I did, but these things shouldn't have been this way. I figure from the price I paid [discounts] compared to what I have had to fix myself, I'm still way ahead of the game. And like Jack, I find this kind of workmanship unacceptable.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
My own experiences of owning a 2004 Airstream mirror Jack's experiences very closely, except I believe that the quality of our trailer was even worse than his.

I could probably have lived with the many serious quality problems in our Airstream had it not been for the arrogance of Airstream's management, and their unwillingness to step up to the plate, accept responsibility and correct these problems (which I've reported many times here over the past half dozen years.)

One of the happiest days of my RV life was the day I got rid of my Airstream, and bought a Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel. After 3 summers in the Kountry Aire, I can tell you the difference in Newmar's quality, service, and management attitudes are like night and day difference from Airstream/Thor.

Our Kountry Aire wasn't perfect from the beginning, but on our first visit to the factory for a service repair we were told "we'll fix it to your satisfaction. You (the customer) must be happy."

On the other hand, Dave Schumann at Airstream refused to handle some of our repairs (like our wheel bearings that were insufficiently greased), and on others (like a drill hole and burn holes in our floor) stated "We'll fix them to our satistaction."

Schumann's attitude mirrored other Thor executive's attitudes, and I believe tells you all you need to know in understanding why Airstream's quality continues to be so inconsistent, and so poor.

John
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #82

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We bought a gently used 19' Bambi CCD and the only thing I can complain about is I can't use it enough! I looked at new sobs and let me tell ya.... This baby will last alot longer. I know nothings perfect (it's a small house) that gets to hit potholes, go down dirt roads, goes through strong winds etc and holds up better than most! I'm proud of or AS and if you think AS is overpriced and substandard then sell it. But you might not want to bash it until it's sold. I guess when you do sell it you will probally leave out all it's problems.

To each is own.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
There's a scene in the movie "Patton" in which George C. Scott stands overlooking the battlefield, and says (to himself) something like: "God help me.....but I love it!"

Jack, I've owned six new Airstreams within the last ten years, and I want you to know that in terms of "initial quality" and "fit and finish" the one made in late 2006 (2007 model year) was the absolute WORST, but my new one is the best. During the first year with that '07 I went through the same anguish that you are experiencing now.

Either someone went through that place and broke some balls, or maybe it's just that due to the current economic situation, they aren't under pressure to crank out over forty trailers a week. (Interesting that the worst QC seems to have coincided with the height of the financial and real estate bubbles). Since all I know is what I see, and I can tell you that I'm a happy camper now, I'd like to encourage you to look at the new ones before you give up on Airstream.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #84
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
To each is their own. We all have our own experiences and thats why some people buy ford and others chevy and so on...based on experience

So this conversation isn't off base at all. Were entitled to have our opionions especially with the amount of money we invest into these luxury items.

I m new to the RV world and my 07' Safari is my second Airstream.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-ls-61361.html

I bought a salvaged one, and really opened the can of worms for future repairs...But i walked through the door and have been happy with things so far.

I'm generally cursed when it comes to ****, cars, boats or rv's...if it can go wrong or break, it generally likes to do that stuff once i become the proud owner.

My point is, i accept the risk. I understand the risk should be low when you pay upwards of $30k even for a used product. But its a risk we all inherit.

I m from Ohio and do everything at the factory. Have taken the tour a few times and and have had nothing but good dealings with the factory. And thats my experience.

I'm a Proud member of the club, and i know i will curse her later, and i have already had some choice words with her. But at the end of the day, i'm happy.

If your not happy, and counseling (repairs) won't work, then mabee you need a divorce lol.

Best of luck friend

Tags
2007 classic