Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
There are some members here who have 2010 models. Surely none of us who
consider ourselves as decent people would intentionally discourage the new
members to this forum who have made a recent purchase.
----------------------------------------
When the warranty work at the Dealerships gets out of limits, it will be the
communication between the Dealerships and the "Factory" that bring about
desired change. Therefore - it seems that if you have purchased a new unit
and have problems.....wear out the dealership with warranty claims!!! Inspect
every small detail and hold them to the highest level of quality and craftsmanship.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I would warn any new owners or potential owners to look very very carefully at the specific unit you just purchased or are thinking of purchasing. You are not really getting what you think you are. Much like a Rolex with a Timex movement hidden inside The materials are not the problem (with exceptions) it's the shoddy assembly.Most new owners are never going to notice a lot of the little things until long after that Airstream glow wears off and especially during the dealer walk through. I think Airstream count on most buyers being generally ignorant of construction methods and will pretty much accept most anything as long as " it looks good" and it"s an Airstream as if the word itself denotes quality.I think it's pretty natural for people to not want to admit that they over payed for something when they thought they'd bought guality. So let me be the first. Hi my name is Jack and I was duped, I over payed for my poorly assembled Airstream.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #31
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
I would warn any new owners or potential owners to look very very carefully at the specific unit you just purchased or are thinking of purchasing. You are not really getting what you think you are. Much like a Rolex with a Timex movement hidden inside The materials are not the problem (with exceptions) it's the shoddy assembly.Most new owners are never going to notice a lot of the little things until long after that Airstream glow wears off and especially during the dealer walk through. I think Airstream count on most buyers being generally ignorant of construction methods and will pretty much accept most anything as long as " it looks good" and it"s an Airstream as if the word itself denotes quality.I think it's pretty natural for people to not want to admit that they over payed for something when they thought they'd bought guality. So let me be the first. Hi my name is Jack and I was duped, I over payed for my poorly assembled Airstream.
I understand that you feel like you were "taken".

What I don't understand is how it benefits you to try to convince the rest of us that we were also. "Misery likes company?"

Compared to the rest of the RV's I owned, I am satisfied with our Airstream. My wife is too. That's the important part.

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
If you don't feel you were taken, that's fine. I'm happy for you but my Airstream wasn't a one off poorly constructed unit. It's probably pretty par for Airstream. Like I said Airstream knows that most owners are concerned with "how it looks" and may not even recognize some of the faults while looking right at them. And no misery here. I'll fix it all. Maybe some anger. So maybe that should read "anger likes company". No make that "pissed" or "super pissed" and a lot of it is at myself for not seeing this before I bought. See, I wanted to be an Airstream believer too. I wish that I knew just how many warts my new girlfried had.I think all owners with faulty actuators, skylights leaking, caulk smeared everywhere. Hinges falling off cabinets, cabinets falling apart, outlets installed at angles. debris swept under the floor. gaps,leaking showers,corrosion, cheap water pumps, crummy tires, cheap rims with corrosion. leaking rear ends. etc.etc.etc. should be angry also. Some are satisfied with a replica Rolex ( well it looks like the real thing, whats the problem? )others want the real thing especially if they think that"s what they paid for. So you can stand in the other line, with the happy owners just make sure you have your blinders off first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I understand that you feel like you were "taken".

What I don't understand is how it benefits you to try to convince the rest of us that we were also. "Misery likes company?"

Compared to the rest of the RV's I owned, I am satisfied with our Airstream. My wife is too. That's the important part.

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Pride in workmanship?

I recently took a tour of a 2010 Airstream at a campground. The couple had just purchased the unit.
I must admit that I was pretty impressed with the initial look. BUT THEN, when I looked closer I could see many problems, especially with fit and finish. I also found it amazing how many things in the new unit were identicle to those in my '74 Argosy. The hardware for opening the windows etc.
I have read a few comments about the education level of people who are in the work force today. I really don't think that is the problem. It's the lack of pride and the passion for doing the job you are assigned. A lot of which is brought on by management. "Just get the unit out the door" If you don't, I'll hire someone who will". That's where a lot of the "I don't give a sh#$%" attitude comes from.
I find it amazing that when you go out and spend $60K to $80K on an AS, that before you hitch onto it, you have to purchase some type of special hitch that will prevent you from beating the trailer to death. If AS built aircraft, we would be dodging falling planes on a daily basis. AS's are still plaqued with weak frame issues as well as many other problems that existed in the older unit's. It's pretty obvious that the engineering and quality control, if there is such a thing at AS, has pretty low standards.
My brother has a Motor home that cost $250,000.00 new. It too has many of the same issues when it comes to quality of workmanship and materials used. So it is not just an AS problem, it is industry wide. And most dealerships aren't helping the situation any.
The engineering on most RV's is not that great. Take the installation of the flooring for example. When you go to the big box store and look at wood flooring. One of the first things on the box is an instruction that says to place the material inside your home for up to 48 hours prior to installation to allow for acclamation. This is to prevent or reduce swelling or separation of the individual planks after installation due to humidity and temperature changes in the home.
While these floors look beautiful in your trailer. I see problems in the future. Especially if you live and store the unit north of the Mason Dixon line. In Nebraska for example, the temperature ranges from -40 in the winter to +105 in the summer, with humitity changing as much as 40%. While it looks good initially, it won't be long before problems raise their ugly head.
I didn't pay much for my '74 and have invested quite a bit to make the necessary repairs and upgrades. I'm not sure I will get my money back in a sale. I hope to be able to use it enough to where I think it was worth it. But one thing I will say, "If I have a problem with anything. I know where to find the guy who did it" You might say it is a "LIFETIME WARRANTEE" for all labor an materials. LOL
My advice is. If you lack the knowledge to know what to look for in a used unit or even a new one. Try to locate someone who does. If you think you have the skills or are willing to learn, then "Go For It". It's obvious that None of the stuff in a travel trailer is designed by a rocket scientist and it doesn't take one to make the necessary repairs or upgrades.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #34
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We've been reworking our '71 Tradewind so it's comfortable for us to use.

There are several design issues in the trailer; the major one led directly to the rear end separation that had me ripping out the bathroom completely and fabricating a new stainless hold down plate, and riveting that to the trailer shell. I'm still rebuilding a new bathroom interior.

Yes, the interior cabinetry is very lightweight, and on our trailer, crappy vinyl pressboard. We're replacing it as we go along with 1/4" (almost) birch plywood; it looks nice with the aluminum frames and is a lot stronger. I'm adding more fasteners and replacing the failing tambours with sliding panels; the interior will still be lightweight, though.

It would be nice if the frame were stiffer, but we can live w/o changing that out if we avoid carrying excessive loads or building racks attached to the rear bumper .

The floor has had its rotted sections (due to rear bumper & window leaks) replaced, and entirely epoxied and painted w/ an aluminum polyurethane paint; we're not yet sure about the final finished floor but rugs work very well in the mean time.

I guess the real issue is that travel trailers are very similar to boats (thus the name Land Yacht...). We always use our trailers when moored , but when we pull them over rough roads they get a good shaking, similar to slogging through rough weather at sea.. However, the construction techniques deemed appropriate for custom boats would probably double construction costs of our trailers. Purchasers want high end finishes, but one also needs the (not so visible) high end construction to match. Add to that the fact that weight needs to be kept under control and the use of a conventional work force, and the resulting design constraints are significant.

I could not own an Airstream if I needed the dealer to fix my problems,
but I'm happy w/ our construction project. Barbie and I enjoy working on the trailer together, and enjoy using it as well. By the time we're done, we'll probably have spent about a fifth of the cost of a new one... and if it has problems, I 'll know how to fix it. I won't kick the butt of the guy responsible for the problems, though, 'cause that would hurt .

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Since we are talking about THOR,

I found out today that Thor Industries Inc. has bought a controlling interest in Elkhart, Ind.-based Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC. The purchase price is $200 million.

Maybe instead of buying up everything, they should focus on QC issues.

Just my thought of the day....
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I haven't been on a Jackson Center tour, but the people who have mention many things about their tour, and the only "quality" item they mention is the spray chamber to test for leaks. Even then, they mention it during partial assembly, and never mention it after completed assembly.

I spent a good part of my adult working life in an engineering environment, often on military or motorsports or ISO9000/1 contracts, where quality/process control is paramount. I don't claim to know everything about quality control, but I share the view that if it's not right, it's wrong. Further, something can meet specification now, but be bound to fail in future due to poor design.

Airstream seems to operate on tradition, and does not seem willing to alter the design to resolve problems, although they do seem willing to alter manufacturing methods to reduce costs by substituting materials or methods.

I would LOVE to walk through Airstream with the CEO and the craftsmen to discuss their process for quality assurance, for design revisions and testing and for satisfying customer needs in or out of warranty.

I know they could do better, and that it would help them make a better return to shareholders if they tried.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Quality

Sorry folks but I have to agree with Craftsman on this one.
A/S is touted to be the best, no qualifications.
I will submit if it were not for the unbelievable dedication and commitment of the many, many folks on this forum and those not on the forum, most older Airstreams would not be in any better condition than most other brands.
From what I have seen on my 78 Excella they certainly are not built any better and in some areas even worse.
There is no way I would consider buying a "new" one and I doubt I will ever buy another old one.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #38
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I am curious why so many people hang on to something that they consider shoddy, and apparently causes them so much stress?

Kem
Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #39
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Well, On the other side of the coin, I love my Airstream. Made in America by Hand. I support Airstream and have had some minor issues, but you know what? Airstream has stood beside their product and treat me like a king when there is a issue. I have a great product and it's very reliable and road worthy. I would do it all over again and buy NEW. I love that new smell. It's perfect in everyway. Did I mention the there is a two year warranty?

Airsteam is a great product and Verry happy. I got mine in Feb 2010 and have logged over 8,000 miles. With my 17 yr old sona nd wife and our 100lb boxer Pup. Has served us well, and I believe it WILL continue to do so.

I also understand these are handmade items and sometimes things go awry, NOTHING is Perfect.

I bought an American Icon and Very Proud to Support America and it's workers.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I am curious why so many people hang on to something that they consider shoddy, and apparently causes them so much stress?

Kem

You would have to ask my ex-wife about that.

HaHA!

Rich the Viking
Old 09-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I was asking your ex-wife about that just last night...
Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
way off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I was asking your ex-wife about that just last night...
You obviously didn't read the warning lable on her. Shall I forward a copy to you???

Tags
2007 classic