Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Discontinuing them now doesn't preclude them from bringing them back when, and if, a market resurfaces for 34 footers.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
DH and I could not even begin to imagine FTing in any thing other than a 34'.

Will they still be available on special order or will they be completely discontinued?

Also, what about the new toyhauler? Is that going to be a great idea done too late?

'shaker
I gotta go with fr8tshakr on this. (Hers is really nice)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I am sure that I have never seen an Airstream TV commercial. I would think a well placed TV commercial would/could drum up interest in the product.

The wife and I did stop in at the local A/S dealer this past weekend. You can get a nice big 5th wheel for the price of a 19' Bambi. I think the high prices scare a lot of folks away in these tough economic times.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Setting aside contemporary vs traditional styling (which is nothing more than personal preference) Carl makes a good point that I never even considered - there will be no more longer more longer length models. I wonder if that's a good business decision or not???
A big difference is the cost of the cabinet work in the Classics. All the face frames and doors are solid wood (Hickory). More labor intensive to build and a higher material cost. Airstream has used an outside vendor for the Cabinets in the Classics for the past couple of years and the quality is top rate.All other Airstream models have veneered plywood cabinets. May be a cleaner more modern look but I've looked closely at the quality of construction ,and if Airstream only offered veneered cabinets I wouldn't have bought. Also, although I love the 34's and almost bought one, if I were going full timeI would be looking at other manufacturers that may offer a lot more room and comfort for $100,000.00+, and Airstream by no means is the qualty King if they ever were. I think that the few sales they may lose by dropping the larger models won't make a bit of difference to their bottom line. I bought an 07 25' Classic with the last of the traditional floor plan before they went with the FB, got some custom features added on the line and I'm a happy camper.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Hmmm - when I read this again I had a thought that I may have sounded a bit harsh on my comments on the interior of Classics. The Classics are beautiful, but tend to be more traditional in styling. There was a day that our tastes were leaning in that direction - particularly when we lived in DC & VA.

Compared to the interiors found in many SOBs the Classic's interior is really stylish and in much better taste than the average RV. We just lean a little more towards contemporary.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Jimandrod,
No offense taken here. Where you lean towards contemporary we lean towards traditional, just simple differences in taste.

I just think it is nice that Airstream makes interiors that are a departture from the loud fabrics and patterns found in other trailers. They remind me more of what you would find in a non-mobile home.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Expensive

"How many times do you hear, wow, this is sharp, then they see the price tag and I have heard all too many times "are they crazy"?"

Yep, that was us. I was so put off by the MSRPs I wouldn't even talk with the dealers, even though they're sold for less than MSRP. I'm so glad we found exactly what we wanted gently used.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think A/S has a lot of problems and seem too stubborn to address some of them:

1. Too many models increases costs, even when they are all handmade.

2. No advertising to speak of.

3. QC issues.

4. Design issues.

5. Price issues.

6. Emphasis on heavy trailers when the trend in tow vehicles may be toward lighter trucks because of fear of high gas prices again.

7. Weak dealer network. Why do so many people travel a 1,000 miles to buy or repair a trailer?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
7. Weak dealer network. Why do so many people travel a 1,000 miles to buy or repair a trailer?
Because the dealer 45 miles from my house is a crook!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Because the dealer 45 miles from my house is a crook!
The one that I bought my first from was not good either...they are now out of business or not carrying Airstream any longer. They NEVER knew the product very well at all. The one I bought my second one from was a great exp, and it was about 300 miles away. Then when I was shopping to once again upgrade before I got hit on this second one, they were nowhere near what they were just a few years after I bought my second from them. The I decided to just stick with what I had, issues and all.

I will totally agree that the bulk of the dealer network is far beyond weak, it's borderline pathetic. From knowledge of product to few and far between dealers, I can count maybe on two hands dealers worth their weight in gold. No need for me to mention them, they clearly know who they are, and most of us here do too.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Since most of the dealers carry other brands wonder if they know any more about them than they do Airstream? The only other RV I've owned was a Casita and they sell factory direct only so I don't have any direct knowledge of this. But I have bought a few new cars/trucks over the years and most of those dealers don't know squat about what they're selling either. Airstream has lost a number of dealers in the past year. Wonder how much this is going to affect sales? Of course the ones that are left are happy since they'll sell more but how many people are going to travel many hundreds of miles to buy from even a good dealer - particularly if they hear about all the QC problems that people are having. And it might be one thing to drive a good distance to buy the trailer but having to constantly take it back for warranty work would get very old in a hurry.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet I am luck in the dealer respect

Once again I am reminded how glad I am to be near Airstream of Arkansas (AOA). I haven’t needed much from them, but I consider them friends. I wouldn’t hesitate to take anything to AOA. They are true enthusiasts. They do carry other brands (helps with the bills), but their true loves are Airstreams and Airstreamers. They love vintage too.

Kudos guys.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Michelle

I would agree with you we have not sold a 30 Classic since the 31 Dinette and espessially the 31 Free Standing Dinette became available.

The 30 is still a very nice unit but the 31' Bath and the storage seem to be more desirable than the additonal living space in the 30.

Andrew T
Andy

Different strokes for different folks, and that's a good thing too I guess!!

When we decided recently to buy a recent model AS, we had the choice between the Classic 30 and 31, same year, same price.

For us, the selling point was the increased lounge space up front. For that we were willing to forgo the additional hanging space and self contained bathroom.

My wife wasn't too keen initially on having the toilet essentially stuck out in the aisle, but we have found a plus is the large bathroom area you get when the two sliding doors are across the aisle.

Works fine for us, but I can appreciate some may not like the floorplan.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
I was so hung up on airstreams(and still am), so thats all I could think about when I bought a vintage 1971 27 foot overlander from cambridge ohio, over 300 miles from my home,because my son-in-law had a 1961 overlander that I looked the floorplan and loved(He at 22 will never repair, I think)I bought mine and the kids(4-8) loved it.this year will be the third calander year for our camper. me and the wife went to jackson center this year to see the trailer being made. Due to econimic times, production was not running and we walked through an idle plant. I still spent $300.00 at the factory store.I love airstreams and the history, but the price is much to high for the amount of labor required. bucked rivets are great but at what cost am I at 42 willing to pay? I am so tempted by the 10K little camper that some of the airstream dealers push,but it came from china.it was called the I-camp. it was a small apparently well made camper and for the wife and me might have been great.I have worked for the last 20 plus years of my life in the auto manufacture business and airstreams are nice and historic,but I am losing faith.I want the lifestile that airstream promised, whether it is or isn't with airstream. If I am too rough, please help me to understand the reason to spend an extra 40k when my house and 40 acres cost 60k. sorry for my rant .I am only human, and still love airstreams. Don
Don Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Wow, I'm glad my 96 model still, has a good 30 years left on it.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

I love Airstreams, vintage and not.

My Classic has convinced me. I will never buy new again.

The Pride is no longer there.

I'm not happy about this...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We've been daydreaming about retiring with a 34' Cocoa-Slide model as a full-time home in a warm clime, and our 28 footer for tooling around the country.
The current economy and this news mean we have to reconfigure our dream.
We'll be working into our 70's as it is due to the EVAPORATION of 401(k) and SEP-IRA balances, so maybe it was all a dream anyway!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
the lenders used to give you 20 year financing on an airstream.this must say something about the quality when most rvs are only allowed between 10-15 years.i bought my 07 with the plan to use it as a mobile condo.i have to say the comfort of this unit is like no other rv i have owned.bought new only because i intend to hold onto this trailer and then pass it along to the next generation.in the big scheme of things i see airstream as a very good value.other sobs i have owned over the years were fully depreciated over a five year period.dont expect that will happen with this timeless classic.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
.in the big scheme of things i see airstream as a very good value.other sobs i have owned over the years were fully depreciated over a five year period.dont expect that will happen with this timeless classic.

This is somewhat of a fallacy (not totally). You see, the fact is that in 27 years my parents Jayco still has value as it has been cared for over the years. A comparable used Airstream is only worth a few thousand more.

Airstreams do depreciate significantly the first 3-5 years then ever so slowly after that (depending on a few factors). Given the fact that you pay about 2 to 3 times more than the average RV, that means to me that clearly you have paid for that higher resale value a few years down the road. You most likely paid a lot less for those SOBs that were nearly fully depreciated 5 years down the road, if not, you were the exception and not typically the rule.

This is not a ht against the trailers, heck I bought new too, but it is not the sound investment in the future many folks believe or talk themselves into when buying a new unit.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Depreciation....Myth?

FWIW
2003 Classic NADA... average value $20295.00. More than 40% less than MSRP.

Has this trailer held it's value?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
FWIW
2003 Classic NADA... average value $20295.00. More than 40% less than MSRP.

Has this trailer held it's value?
Compared to most SOBs, same year, size and amenities, yes, but, keep in mind as I said earlier, you paid 2 to 3x than the comparable SOB, so the fact that yours is still worth $20k is all a matter of relevance to the new purchase price of a new SOB vs a new Airstream. It's all economies of scale.

Now mind you, values on Airstream trailers can go up, particularly some models more than others. For example, I have seen some beautifully restored vintage 50s and 60s Airstream units with asking prices half or more than that of a new Airstream. Of course these folks put several thousand dollars and hours into these, but they still sell for more than their orig purchase price, plus rehab costs. That is not as common in the SOB market. As an example, I could redo my parents 82 Jayco and make it the Plaza Hotel of Jayco 24' trailers and would most likely not get $20k for it.

Do I think my Safari, your Classic or the many CCDs out there will be similar at some point to that of the 50s and 60s units out there that have been restored, fetching these prices I am seeing? I sincerely doubt it given all the issues I've seen out there with them. I consider these similar black sheep to the 70s Beatrice units.....of course, only time will tell how accurate these perceptions are.

Tags
2010 classic