Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Ditto~
The statement that 19% off list is somewhat irrelevant because there is pricing structure and target they want to hit. By you getting 19% off, you think you get a great deal, but in reality, they are getting what they expect, off of an inflated cost to start with. If you don't horse trade all that well and get 15% off list, it's pure profit to the dealer cause they pay a certain amount for a unit based on model, options, etc.

My unit has depreciated approx $3500/yr on average since the day the rear axle left the dealership. This still represents a 43% loss off a negotiated discount off list. These numbers are actually in line with what I see 2004 Safaris going for in great to excellent condition. This is in line with what RC posted.

If I had bought a well equipped SOB that was 25', I'd have paid about $30k that unit would be worth less (not worthless) but I would have paid less. I didn't buy my Airstream for what it would be worth in 8 years, I bought it because it was a cool trailer.

Let's not even get into these models corrosion which no doubt will lower resale even further that has not been taken into account here.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I stand by my original post...
"Ditto"..
If you have an issues with your A/S dealers, take it up with them..

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
I stand by my original post...
"Ditto"..
If you have an issues with your A/S dealers, take it up with them..
I have no idea what you are referring to, but ok, when I figure it out, I suppose I will for whatever that may be worth. I don't recall having or stating I had an issue with a dealer, but I think if you bought a new one, you might see what we're talking about. It's easy to talk on the sidelines with a vintage unit not having any skin in the game.

I don't believe I asked anyone to change their opinions, I'm stating simple fact based on a 2x new unit owner, and am in agreement with RC's post. I suspect this is where you and I clearly differ. So as not to further hijack the thread, if you have further comments, please feel free to open an new thread or PM me offline as I too am standing by my orig posts.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #46
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

This one went for 3k more than I paid for it after 18yrs of use and no restoration.

Will the Classic hold as well?

IDTS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO STREAM'N.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	76657  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

I want an updated Argosy Minuet. Build a narrow body trailer. Maybe use the slick plastic windows (they open fully) that are on my T@B. (The Minuet used plastic windows.)
Huh? My 77 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre doesn't have plastic windows and they are not replacements. It's has the same type as my 93 Excella - curved, real glass ones that fully open. What year Mini's had plastic windows?

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i bought my trailer for the towing reputation of the airstream.once i owned one i then decided i wanted to upgrade to the classic because of the window configuration,and the beautiful interior layout. i never bought this trailer based on an "investment theory".however if you give me an sob after towing it thousands of miles on some of our interstate highways,i dont think based on my own experience that it will hold up nearly as well as the airstream.i have not been disapointed at all by the performance of this trailer on the road.in theory the trailer may be worth nothing in the future because they may not make a vehicle with a battery strong enough to pull it.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I'm a little late to this thread but I'll dive in anyway. First of, if we plow forward and purchase an Airstream it will be a used one (unless I hit the Mega Millions!). One reason is that they are just too expensive and I don't want to take the depreciation hit, I don't care how cool they are (no offense Silvertwinkie). That's just me. I am willing to pay $25-30k for a nice 27/28ft. AS. That is about what a decent Jayco/KZ of the same size would retail for new (BTW, I think Jayco and KZ build nice trailers for the moo-laa if you want an SOB ..... but who does on here!).

That said, I agree that the marketing of AS is strange. I'll tell you why, I live in one of the more affluent areas in the country and yet there is only 1 AS dealer close by and he is close to 90 miles from my house. There are 2 Jayco Dealers within 30 miles (one is actually about 2 miles from my house) the same with other SOB dealers and more importantly, the same with the expensive Class A motorhome brands. I guess what I am saying is that if AS either doesn't care, or is unable to entice someone to carry their line in the type of area where I live, how will they sustain their business as people likely pull back in their spending on RVs in the future (I feel a lot of folks are going to be gun shy after this and certainly won't be milking what's left of their home equity to finance depreciating items like RVs).

Does AS require dealers to purchase too much inventory if they want to carry their line? Are there other requirements that hold up dealers from carrying their product, stocking parts, repair abilities? Many of these dealers have "high line" customers rolling through their lots daily looking at motorhomes, some of these same folks may be interest in an "upscale" TT.

I have driven to the closest dealer to me but it is a long drive. Whereas I can cruise the lots at the 3 large local SOB dealers any time (what I see are a lot of decent, but very boring trailers) I know I will be purchasing a used trailer, but I wonder how many sales they lose in Maryland because of the distance to the dealer. This would seem to be the case in other areas too. If one really wants to look at a bunch of AS trailers, but lives in my location, they would have to drive 3+ hours to Colonial.

Heck there are more (mulitiple) Ferrari, Bentley (BTW I saw a sweet Bentley convertable on the way home last night, top down, parked at a small grocery store, you can do that "out in the country") and Lambo dealers within 50 miles than there are AS dealers with in a couple of hundred, what sense does that make? Heck, like I said, there arent' any AS dealers within 50 miles.

It is interesting that the 27/28 footers are the sweet spot as there seem to be less of them available used than other sizes. Maybe it's just becuase I zero in on those and are disappointed when I don't find them. For me those sizes are about perfect. Living in a downtown historic district I am lucky to have parking adjacent to my property (but I have to pay for it), these size trailers are about the max I can fit in the space. Maybe one reason there a fewer available is that folks are more satisfied with them and keep them longer.

Anyway, as usual, I digress.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #50
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You bring up some valid points Soyboy.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Sorry for the slight off-topic veer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
Huh? My 77 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre doesn't have plastic windows and they are not replacements. It's has the same type as my 93 Excella - curved, real glass ones that fully open. What year Mini's had plastic windows?
Hmmm. I got that info from the Argosy forums in this thread - overlander64 and silverhobby talk about having arcylic windows in their Minuets. Maybe the 77 had glass while the 78-79 didn't?

Now back to your regularly scheduled Classics topic.

Tom

Tags
2010 classic