Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2006 - 2010 Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
2010 31' Classic-Removing the Dinette

After tons of anguish we have decided we are going to try our best to make this thing work. A couple of weeks ago I took the trailer back to the dealership to have the remaining problems addressed. Most of them are fixed, but a few remain. But that's another story...

Anyway, my main point here is we are thinking about removing the dinette, and changing it to where there will be only the table and 2 chairs.

I have some questions, and I would welcome any thoughts or comments.

The main reason we are doing this is for the added room. There are only the 2 of us. We don't have any kids, so a table for 2 is just fine.

Can anybody tell me a reason that I might want to reconsider doing this?

I think there will be about 6 screw holes remaining in the floor where the benches were, and we are willing to caulk them up and live with it until we can have the floor replaced.

Basically, I would like to do a conversion from the current dinette layout to the model that has the table and chairs.

Is there any reason to try to sell the old benches? Are they worth anything?

Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Long Time Lurker

2010 31' Classic
Quincy , Illinois
We did "half" of what you want to do in our 2010 Classic. We had one bench removed (closest to hitch) and had an ottoman made to replace the lost storage. We also had the floor redone as we wanted to get rid of the carpet.

We love the extra space in front of the couch. It allows you to stretch out your legs no matter what side you are sitting on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	161227  
boodalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you have the room, save the old parts in case you either change your mind or decide to sell or trade it in.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We had have since sold our 28' International, but we had removed the dinette bench nearest the door to create more room. We were very happy with that arrangement. We also we glad that we held on to the bench because the buyer wanted it reinstalled.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
Thanks for the replies.

Another question I have is: What is on the wall between the fridge and the bench that backs up to it? I'm hoping it will be similar to what is above. Meaning that I won't need to worry about recovering the wall itself.

This will be the first of many mods. The reason we are starting with this one is because it will be "reversible" if we do decide to part with the Airstream.

Also, is the flooring all one continuous sheet from the bedroom all the way to the sofa? Just wondering if when the time comes we will have to pull everything out in order to "fix" the floor in a more permanent manner.

Thanks again.
AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
When we purchased our second Airstream, a 30' we looked at both options, with or without the dinette. We got the one without the dinette because we don't use it unless we are eating and with the two fold up tables it only takes a minute to put one or both up. We love the space and still are able to easily seat 6 comfortably for dinner with the two tables up.