Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
2006 Classic Trip to the Mothership

I just returned from Jackson Center, and thought I'd pass along a few tips to those who haven't had the experience of visiting the 'Mothership'. I was for the most part impressed with the factory and ofcourse the 'tour', I took it several times. If you find yourself there at 2pm on a Friday you will do a complete walk-thru without employees at work. The advantage of this is that it's quiet and you are allowed to walk thru areas that are off-limits when the factory is in production. When you return on a regular work day, you spend more time in the lounge area getting 'pre' information before entering the factory due to the noise and your not allowed in the areas that are producing airstreams. Really cool ! I am so glad that I brought the rig to the factory. I was a little 'early' for my appointment (5 days) and was directed to the 'terraport' to park my trailer, I was never charged for the extra days even when I offered to pay. Jackson is a quaint little town with a few restaurants and bars. I met four airstream employees in one of them Friday afternoon, after hours, they all owned one (airstream), of their own. That's a pretty good testement to he product, I think. If 'community days' hadn't been going on, it might have been a little boring, but it was alot of fun and Airstream even participated with a $500 award as part of the communities celebration. Why would I tow my new perfect Classic all the way to the factory? Well............ I had a very small 'kissing' experience with a pine tree just North of Tampa, Fla, and I always wanted to see the 'Mothership' in the flesh. After towing my rig, along back roads to the Eastern side of the state, whew hills. And all thru West Va. I am glad that I got the 25' and not the 31' I thought I was in love with. Backing down some of those hilly driveways was an experience I don't want to repeat. I read on this site of the first rate work that the Service Tech's do at the factory. It's true, they are great and if you want a job done right (especially on a new unit), I would encourage anyone to take it to Ohio.

Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Thanks for the info Terry. It sounds as though you had a great trip. You are right about it being a positive sign when employees use the products they manufacture which was one of Wally's biggest advantages - he used his Airstream all the time and thus the future products were shaped by his experiences. I hope the factory has the same type of feedback mechanism for their employees to provide suggestions today.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote

2006 classic