Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
We seem to have acquired a 50 year old trailer....

We recently just bought beautiful property in Northern Ontario and acquired the 1967 Overlander in the deal. Finally made it out to inspect the inside quickly (check for dead bodies, etc)... and everything appears to be in original condition except the floor. Which by reading the forums seems to be a common area needing to be replaced.

We hope to tow it into town soon and assess the working condition of the trailer and possibly start a bit of fixing up, at least enough to use for a summer or two until a camp is built. As far as a I know the people before us used it last 2 years ago

I am so grateful this forum exists as 1) We've never owned ANY type of trailer 2) We are totally new to the airstream craze and 3) this thing is 50 YEARS OLD!
We are going to have many questions.

I've attached some pictures.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2380.JPG-2.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	289509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2386.JPG-2.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	289510  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2381.JPG-2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	289511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2245.JPG.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	289512  

NorOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Congratulations !!!!

Take things slow getting that gem on the road. Safety first !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
Thanks Bob! Yes, that is priority 1, we are very lucky to have some handy individuals who know way more than us about towing things safely ... it's about an hour drive so not too far, but far enough if things go south!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I don't know what the rules about putting a trailer on the road are up there. Down here each state is a bit different. Here in PA, they actually require a yearly inspection on a trailer. It's just like a car in that respect. It's one of those bizarre things you would never think about needing unless you had owned a trailer here in the past.

Bob
Old 07-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
That will be a really nice unit one day, you'll have a very nice vintage Airstream once your done.

If your going to tow it, check brakes, assume the tires are old and not road worthy. The axle will be in need of replacement, but you can leave that for later after you get the full scope of your project.

Search topic in google using airforms for best results. Some thing like:
airstream airforums 1967

The search engine in the forum itself sucks.

Good luck, keep us updated.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
A yearly inspection!!! Wow is that a money grab. I'm all about safety but that goes too far. I bet a policy like that prevents much of the states population from enjoying trailers. I guess one positive aspect is it probably drives down the resale prices on old trailers substantially. In perspective to my views: in Alberta there is zero inspection ever( unless it's homebuilt, then one inspection to get on the road). And statistically we wouldn't have anymore wrecks on the road then anywhere else.
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A great find, and welcome to the forum!

You might consider hiring a commercial hauler whose tow vehicle is rated to tow the Airstream even if the trailer brakes do not work IMO. I am not sure about your local laws in this regard, but thought it should be suggested.

Your handy friend could also help hook up the AS to a regular tow vehicle with a working brake controller, to see if the brakes activate correctly (even if they don't work that great in stopping the trailer).

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- New tires might be a good investment before you move the trailer. Any chance of getting a commercial hauler to put it on a low-bed trailer for a ride home?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Welcome and great find.

I am way jealous of your bathroom color. Our is some yellowing almond white.

Having an Overlander of similar vintage ,we have installed new axles, wheels, tires, an umbilical cord, and replaced all the marker and clearance lights to make it a good tow. Your trailer looks aboht the same height as ours until we replaced the axles.

Of course we have down plenty other like water pump, batteries, and a fridge.

We have been lucky to have no issues with the furnace or water heater.

All in all a bit of patients and some budget and everything will come together.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
What happens to the axles that they need to be replaced? Unless they have rusted through and are weakened why would replacement be needed? Is replacement indicated to repair the suspension?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Lyle
lyleapgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. A set of tires would be a big plus for the hour drive. Hookup a tow vehicle TV and see if you have working lights. You may get away with a temporary tow permit if that's allowed. That is a gem and worth saving even if you decide not to do it yourself. I also suggest getting someone to check the frame once you get it where your going to keep it.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
What happens to the axles that they need to be replaced? Unless they have rusted through and are weakened why would replacement be needed? Is replacement indicated to repair the suspension?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Lyle
They have rubber cores which age and harden, I think their max life span is twenty years if they are used constantly, sitting shortens the life span. I searched quickly and found this in another thread:

"Axles" are not "solid" like a boat, utility or SOB trailer. On AS they are torsion design.

Here is a Yourube commercial for Dexter Torsion axles. It may prove useful
https://youtu.be/QzVVqXxbGSA

So, as an axle ages the rubber rods harden. This limits compressibility and transfers shock/vibrations from the road to your trailer. So wear may not be obvious. On our 1999 replacement of the axlesdid not seem necessary... but I did anyway... guess what? Drawers which would open during tow, stopped. Bed mattress stopped sliding around... items on the floor stopped moving... items in the fridge stopped moving as much..... door mirror retainers stopped breaking. Going over "see-saw" roads (up and down like a wave) rarely causes oscillation ... when it does, the rate dampens quickly. (On same road, same speed, etc. ). That alone showed me the replacement improved the axle function.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
We were finally able to get out and spend some time on the land and around the trailer. Tires will for sure need to be replaced before we take it anywhere. I am debating on renting a flat bed or something to tow it out on (we need to bring a tractor in anyway to clear the land,so two birds, one stone)

I actually have to import it as well (registered in Michigan), so we will have to tow it TO customs to import. I need to look into requirements a bit more but I think anything over 30 years old has actually LESS restrictions when bringing into Canada. Even though it's been here for 10+ years.

We are still undecided about keeping or selling, until we have a structure on the lot I think we will keep (unless we can get a nice chunk of $$$ for it)

At the very least I would like to make it safe and road worthy before parting with it

We intend on keeping as much original as we can, partly because we do not have the time or desire for a full restore and getting into the airstream forums I feel like there are so many people with a passion for them it will be better in their hands than ours
Old 07-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I don't think you'll be looking at chunk of $$$ maybe 5-10k if you find a keen buyer. ( Canadian $)

So I'll start, get it to Calgary 5k
Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
Ha! I guess until we decide what to do with it if we can find someone who wants it more than we want to keep it - everything is negotiable

We were just out in Calgary in the spring ... it snowed
Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to Air Forums.

A 67 Overlander is a very desirable Airstream. One of the neat features is that the windows are curved to match the curve of the walls. This was only for 3 years, 66-68. Now I am a bit biased since I have a 66 Tradewind. The Overlander is very similar to the Tradewind except that it is 2 feet longer.

I recommend living in it for a while, then decide if you want to keep it or sell it.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Williston , Florida
Thumbs up Congratulations

I have had a "66 Overlander that I purchased in '92 to live in while we built our house here in Florida. It was in storage for years and all original except the frig was brand new. Last year my boyfriend decided to help by checking out the AC and got shocked by the "Capacitor" when he checked the voltage!
That was about the end.
Just make sure the top is sealed. I had some leaking when I was too busy over the years and the leak on the floor was mainly from the gaskets around the window by the front couch and perhaps the drainage for the AC. Had double beds with a leak somewhere between the sink and the wall separating the sleeping area. Beautiful cherry cabinets, though.
I ended up turning the trailer over to a friend who has the money to hire out the repairs and he says he will loan the trailer to me whenever I want. Unfortunately my BF still doesn't want to tow a 26footer. We'll see.
Please let the Forum know how you are doing and I'll try to get some Pix of my trailers redo.
Thanks
cerceify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
A yearly inspection!!! Wow is that a money grab. I'm all about safety but that goes too far. I bet a policy like that prevents much of the states population from enjoying trailers. I guess one positive aspect is it probably drives down the resale prices on old trailers substantially. In perspective to my views: in Alberta there is zero inspection ever( unless it's homebuilt, then one inspection to get on the road). And statistically we wouldn't have anymore wrecks on the road then anywhere else.
Hi

The typical charge is $40 or so. That's less than what I pay for a month of indoor or two months of outdoor storage. I doubt it keeps many people off the road. I agree that it's a bit of a pain. In my case the place I store at is an inspection station so the process is relatively painless. If they do find a problem with the brakes or tires, I most certainly *do* want to know about it. Would I check it all every year? Probably not. *Should* I check it all every year ... hmmm .....

Bob
Old 07-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
@TouringDan

Yes, I love the uniqueness of the windows - That is one thing I may actually want to tackle replacing with the ones available from vintage trailer. It's currently plexi. We will likely hang out to it, mostly because why not??

@Cerceify
I will definitely update as we go along, I think it will be slow going until next month!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorOntario View Post
@TouringDan

Yes, I love the uniqueness of the windows - That is one thing I may actually want to tackle replacing with the ones available from vintage trailer. It's currently plexi. We will likely hang out to it, mostly because why not??
You can rebuild the windows completely, way cheaper then a complete window. Mostly labour, the window units at VT would be if you had a complete missing window or didn't want to tackle the job yourself.

Keep it! Read some reno threads on this site and get a understanding of what's involved.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
SSM , ON
Another piece of interesting history - apparently the trailer was previously owned by the manager of Grand Funk Railroad and used while they toured. Eventually I will try and get a title search, I have only met a handful of people who actually know what band this is, a bit out of my generation ....