Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Ten Things I Think... I think

Travel, work and other nonsense has kept me from working on the microshop or on the Overlander. While I was wandering hither and yon, I listened to a fair number of Vintage Airstream Podcasts (VAP). If one can't work on a trailer, at least one can think about it. So, in no particular order:

1. I think painting the roof of Overlander (white) makes more sense than polishing it... particularly if polishing really means 200 to 300 hours of work.

2. I think the new subfloor will be at least 3/4" plywood.

3. I think that if all Airstreams leak, I hope my doesn't leak much.

4. I think one of the best things we can do in the Overlander is find a couch that converts into a comfortable queen-sized bed up front.

5. I think that one of the best things about a Vintage Airstream is an excuse to buy new and exotic tools, even if they aren't getting used much.

6. I think I need to buy the tires and wheels, even if I'm not quite ready on the axles yet.

7. I think POR-15 is great stuff.

8. I think I need to find a shop to do the frame and put in the floor before the snow flies.

9. I think it needs to stop raining this weekend.

10. I think this is going to cost me more money than I ever expected but that it will somehow be worth it.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
we can make this into a game.

I think tambour doors were as good ah invention as the pet rock
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Sometimes, the truth is funnier that the best joke!!!!

#10 is a little to close to home for me.
As I told a friend earlier today, "A hobby is not something you make money on"
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I think we have the makings of another Will Rogers. Very good for a Yankee. I'm impressed.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
10. I think this is going to cost me more money than I ever expected but that it will somehow be worth it.

same boat here .... never, never thought I'be be planning spend the $$$ that I am actually considering ....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Only a fraction of 700 billion fun-bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post

same boat here .... never, never thought I'be be planning spend the $$$ that I am actually considering ....

....and just what percentage of $700 billion would that be???

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I think I need more time to work on my AS
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Pleasanton , California
I think... I need to quit paying $150.00 a month for storage on our AS and bring it home so that we can see it everyday and spend that $150.00 on restoring our AS.
TinRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
While I was wandering hither and yon, I listened to a fair number of Vintage Airstream Podcasts (VAP). If one can't work on a trailer, at least one can think about it.
1. I think painting the roof of Overlander (white) makes more sense than polishing it... particularly if polishing really means 200 to 300 hours of work.

I think;
white is a bad idea. It just is gonna get real dirty and nasty quicker than silver. I agree the polish up there is not worth the time nor effort for me.
So what is wrong with silver paint?
Also I would see it as a deduct if I were buying a vintage Airstream again.

I think;
someone somewhere has done research on the two topcoat colors and their different effects and results. I mean with millions of mobile homes out in yon and a few here in hither cluttering the landscape, most with raw metal roofs, you gotta figure someone has done that research don't you?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Silver paint is a good suggestion. I just don't see the point of polishing a roof that no one except the occasional crop duster can see.

Some more things I think:

1. I think Craftsman tools used to be better and that now I have a choice between breaking the bank on "heirloom" tools like Snap On or going Asian.

2. I think LED lights are pretty much superior in every way to incandescent, I just think the double bullseye marker lights look a little "70s."

3. On the subject of the 70s, I can only think of about one item of clothing I wore then that I would wear now... Levi 501s.

4. I think what America needs is a really good shelving unit.

5. I think that I like marine grade plywood... even if I served in the Navy.

6. I think Lowe's is generally better than Home Depot... although everyone who works at Lowe's should be required to carry a measuring tape at all times.

7. I think I should just bite the bullet and order axles.

8. I think I should take a week "off" and get ahead on a few projects... but that it will only mean a week's worth of extra work sitting on my desk when I get back.

9. I think I don't know what to think about the WBCCI... except that I'm far more interested in byways than bylaws.

10. I think that contrary to my wife's rather skeptical expression, the book I bought on sail boat electrical systems will prove useful... eventually.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I think I have been camping 6 times this summer in 3 state parks and only seen one other Airstream.... where is everyone?

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
they are driveway camping,, sorry to say,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Admiration

I think a 13 panel airstream is so cool.

I think I'm sixty this month.

I think that "camping time" is precious.

I really admire restorers, but I bought new and I'm out camping NOW.

I don't know whether it would be helpful or cruel to tell all y'all that there's a 7 panel overlander sitting unmoved for 4 years in an alley in Virginia Beach.

I think one more symptom of Aluminitis is that I'm sad I have to stay in a Sheraton next week even though the company is paying for it.

Paula
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I think Craftsman tools are no longer Craftsman tools. The quality is mediocre at best. I've gravitated to Snap-On. So that is two of us, anyone else agree?

I think any project that requires acquiring more tools is a good project. I wonder sometimes why I didn't think of it this way a long time ago. My tool chest would be much fuller now if I'd done so and not rented or borrowed.

I too think 13 panel Airstreams are cool. I would also like a newer one in the yard but my wife thinks that one Airstream at a time is the best way to go. I'm working hard to convince her that two is a good start toward a nice collection.

I was surprised that my Airstream restoration came in under budget - the budget being what I sold my 17' Boler (fiberglass) trailer for. I did not want to spend more than that at the time. I came in $300 under. My wife was more than amazed. I'm still disappointed in myself for not thinking of something else I could have installed or another tool I could have acquired. Darn!

I think putting my Flying Cloud in it's Air-hanger today for the winter was a very sad event. I have to wait several months before I can take it out, shake it off, and go somewhere. 4CU's Deadhorse event is looming and I need to figure out how to get there this year.

Barry
Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
6. I think I need to buy the tires and wheels, even if I'm not quite ready on the axles yet.
Quote:

Some more things I think:

7. I think I should just bite the bullet and order axles.
I think you should too... but wait to order the wheels until you are certain that your new axles don't require a change in wheel size.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I think the next time I decide to replace all the wall liner in my airstream (by myself)
I should have my head examined..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	68993
I think this old girl really wants me to rescue her from this life of neglect and general disinterest her owner is showing her. I think sometimes I hear her call out to me.

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	68989
I think many of the rules of the WBCCI suck. I am glad someone got smart and changed all the flag rules. I think if they had not, there would be an issue.

Name:	IMG_3191.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	68988
I think I have been a very lucky boy to put this many decals on my trailer in one season. I think I will try harder to put more on next season.

Name:	IMG_1164_resize.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	68987
I think the roof should be polished as well as any other part. I notice the unpolished roofs, I point and laugh. What would the UFOs think traveling by? What's up with him? He run out of Nuvite? I think those that do not polish the roof secretly regret not doing it. I think you know who you are. I think your trailer serves you well and she deserves to be treated right.

Name:	IMG_2762.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	68992
I think everything tastes better cooked in my Airstream. If you think everything tastes better with bacon, wait till you try bacon cooked in an Airstream, with extra bacon on the side.

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	68994
I think passing SOBs on the highway is fun. I think it should be an Olympic sport.

Name:	IMG_2475.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	68995
I still think this trailer should have won concourse de elegance, best of show, and peoples choice at the East Coast Vintage Jam. A true triple crown in my book.

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	68990
I think caravanning is a ton of fun. I think we all should do more of it. I think I need a bigger motor if I want to keep up with RideAir and Robandzoe out west where the hills are for real.

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	68991
But mostly, I think I am one (I am leaving out the expletives here, but those that know me know exactly which ones I use) lucky dude to have become a member of this unit. I think, no I know, that this is exactly the type of club that I want to spend my free time with. I know this is like family to me. I know I will miss them all tremendously as winter drags on. I think you all would be graced to find a bunch like this to Airstream with.

I think the last one brought a tear to my eye. Thank you WDCU.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I think

I think I need to finish and polish my roof - thanks Frank!

I think the WDCU of the WBCCI rocks!

I think I'm lucky to have my Airstream to meet my wife and kids somewhere between NY and VA while I am back on Active Duty.

I think the 15,000 miles I did this year cost me alot of $$$$ but worth every penny of it.

I think the new friends I made this year Streaming is one of the coolest parts of the gig!

I think I'm going to Polish my roof - did I say that already.

I think next year will be the best Streaming year yet!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
63 Silver
U need to get out of the Bowling Green area theres a whole world of alumumium out here. We have been out six times also and have had a great time in our GREAT OHIO STATE PARKS. Paved roads and pads and clean Shower houses and restrooms and nice people. I know its almost over for this yr.But be an optimist,theres always next yr. This was also our first yr with the AIRSTREAM and our first campin, we had a blast.
And Paula HAPPY BIRTHDAY this month. I think U said 60 this month U just gettin started GIRL
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Oh I forgot THANKS ROB for your service. It was our pleasure to me U and Zoe and the children this summer. AND who would have believed what we discovered I was amazed.What are the chances of that happening? . I sure hope it happens again next yr we enjoyed your company CUZ.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote