Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Well, WOW and WOW! You have been after it! Yes, there are sooo many projects to do in some kind of reasonable order and yours are looking well thought out and executed with your own style and flair.
Where to start, yes, painted my roof, stripped off all clearcoat, prepped with scotch brite pads, rustoleum aluminum primer and then rustoleum metal roof paint with ceramic, 90+% reflective. Reused and painted interior panels, cleaned while out (ammonia seemed to work well), Kilz primer and then Sherwin Williams exterior paint. We'll see how it lasts.
Pretty big bite on that solar... I went ground deploy 200 watt panels, I can do 3 right now. I think the panels I got are too big and heavy, I've since seen smaller and lighter for the same power. I have a smaller bank of AGM's and not a Multi Plus, just individual components. I would guess solar ran $2500. It works for what we do.
I replaced the whole subfloor and think this year range of trailers are great candidates for "shell on" replacement, you'll love the clean smell. Have you scraped the old under floor spray insulation yet? Not fun!
More to follow, got to walk the dog....
Stay well... Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Los Gatos , California
Hello everyone!

Wow it is such a treat to see this thread come back to life! Thank you everyone so much for your encouragement and advice! The Airstream renovation world would be dark without the wisdom and enthusiasm of the forums.

Mark - unfortunately I did already spend many long, long hours on my back scraping off all that spray foam insulation...and now I'm leaning towards a subfloor replacement darn!

Peter - Mountain Charley's is still around! But I imagine it's changed quite a bit. They changed the name to Charley's a few years back and it's mostly just a club now for all the college kids coming back into town on breaks.

I will definitely take a look at Will Prowse's videos and VAP episodes that are on topic. Looking forward to updating you all again soon!
Old 06-24-2021, 01:12 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Thanks Summer . . . yeah . . . checked out their site . . . Oooph !!! . . . those times are gone . . .

Keep up the good work!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, belly pan, belly pan removal, brake, brake lights, eternabond, full monte, furnace, gut, maxim, maxxair, mice, overlander, removal, renovation, restoration, roof, roof sealant, roof vent, sealant, sealant removal, sealing, subfloor, subfloor replacement, vent, window, wiring